Chi Gong exercise helps me relax and gives energy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Oct 14, 2008.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I have just been on a detox week and learnt how to do Chi Gong or Qi gong.

This exercise is incredible and because my mind is concentrating on the exercises it really helps me relax. It helps different organs in the body also.

It involves lots of stretching, deep breathing etc. You learn to draw in energy and even hold an 'energy ball' which I could actualyl feel in my hands! Sounds weird I know but it's really there! It's great to close your eyes when doing the moves too.

I cannot get on with yoga and always end up aching after but this form of exercise really helps me.

After the exercises - I feel much more relaxed, happier, less stressed and more energy before the day begins.

I would recommend anyone to look it up or even find a class or DVD.

I am now doing the warm up Chi Gong exercises every morning.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I got the CD a few weeks ago.

I'm afraid its a non-starter for me - even bending slightly at the knees caused a lot of pain in my thighs. I was annoyed as I really thought this was one form of exercise I could do.

Hope it helps you.

3. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I just did a search for those exercises you talk about and found a site that actually tells you how to do them.
    For sure I am going to look at that more later. As we always say in our family "Nothing beats a failure but a try!"
    I may not be able to do all of the exercises but I am going to do the ones I can do and maybe after a while I will be able to add more.
    Thanks for a great tip!
  4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

jofms, I am so glad you posted. I too have recently restarted doing chi gong and have also felt that it is really helping. Muscles aren't as tight and the deep breathing should help my energy level in time.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2008]
  5. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I found a dvd at my library for people who were ill or had balance problems. They did most of the basic exercises sitting on stools.

It was all I could do myself for about 1.5 years, couldn't even do a whole workout because I couldn't keep my arms up more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Now I can do up to five minutes standing up. So - big improvement for me.

And I feel calmer & happier after.
  6. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Hi can anyone recommend any dvd's that are very very easy and for someone who has really low fitness levels,i really want to try to start excercising so my muscles dont waste away, but need something very gentle. Ive been struggling with excercise and cant do much because of the pain and post excercise fatigue.
    Thanks mandy
  7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

For an easy Qi Gong DVD try those put out by Lee Holden. I have four: The Flow, The Flow continues,Qi Gong for Bones and Joints and Qi Gong for Seniors. He has a very easy manner and stresses that you need to stay in your exercise zone (so to speak). All the exercises are standing up, but very, very easy and they really do help with energy and pain. Of course, as always, you need to be careful not to over do until you become stronger.

Hope this helps.

PS Does anyone know why my messages still show edit delete in red? Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2008]
  8. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Astroherb - thanks for this info. I have just ordered the set of 4 - stress, upper back and neck, flow for beginners and lower back.

It's set in such nice scenery too!
  9. sallynoname

sallynoname New Member

I have been doing chi gung (or any of the other variations) on and off for years and I find it really really helps. I can really recommend it for ME/CFS. It builds up your strength from the inside and does not require a lot of energy, so you don't get worn out - in fact you feel stronger and much more able to do things. I follow Master Lam's Stand Still Be Fit video and his book The Way of Energy, which concentrate on simple standing exercises. You only have to stand for 5 minutes (if this sounds impossible try building up from what you can manage) with very simple warm up and cool down routines. The whole thing only takes 10 minutes and ithas really really helped me!
  10. Sunspot

Sunspot New Member

I came across a really easy chi gung DVD at the library, called 4-Minute Fitness with Dr. Keith Jeffery. It's really easy, and he even gives a sitting version of the exercises. It really does only take 4 to 6 minutes. I've been doing it once a day for a few days and I don't seem to have back pain anymore... also definitely feel more energy and better mood after doing it. He's got a website where you can check out more information at