childhood trauma and cfs/fib???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

After reading the thread about "dramatic recovery", it got me to thinking about some of my own unresolved experiances.

So I was just wondering how many of us has had a rough childhood and could it actually be related to the DD. I am not suggesting that we are depressed at all. I KNOW I'm not depressed untill I have my crash periods. And that is only because I get depressed when I cannot do the things I want to.

Do you think there could be a link here? Have you had a traumatic childhood????
  2. shanwill

shanwill Member

What then about all the thousands and millions of children that have had really stressful childhoods and grow up NOT to get this DD.
    I like most of you didn't have a fairy tale childhood. But I also know of many people that didn't either and who don't have this DD.

Wish I had more answers myself.
  3. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I believe that this could be true as my childhood (early on) was very disfunctional. I am elated that people on this board are so similar to myself!! It's great! I've thought about this for years.

However, on the flip side, a friend of mine has this and had a very nice childhood.

-Mother was a special education teacher (lots of patience there!)
    -Father was a professional
    -She was an only child
    -Popular in School
    -No money problems
    -She is attending law school in the fall (she was helped by the FFC)

** The one difference is that she was definately an athlete and has had multiple surgeries. She also has overextended joints. I've read somewhere that this is an early sign.

So, I too believe that the common thread is the childhood stress and trauma, but at the same time believe that the surgeries, etc. may just be another cause.

I have always known throughout my life that due to the improper physical and mental care as a child, I would suffer in some way later. It is almost unavoidable. I succeeded in school and college. I ate right and exercised, but knew that early on I had missed the essential vitamins and minerals necessary to have a healthy life.

.... just my input...
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Since studying about how the above affects our whole body, I'm convinced that my very abusive childhood played a role. When you're under stress, your acetylcholine (fight or flight) increases, and your serotonin (off switch) decreases.

So if you have this imbalance, you probably were a Type 'A' as a result & ran yourself "literally" into the ground.
    Add that to the traumas/stresses of the rest of your life, and.........the rest is history.

Anyway, that's been my experience. So now I'm working on balancing those out.

LIGHT***********carole