Childhood Trauma, EBV and Sleep Connections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Samantha_M, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Samantha_M

Samantha_M New Member

Hi, I am new here. I have done some reading on the net about how many people with Fibromyalgia had a tramatic childhood. Does anyone have any theories about that? Has it been your experience more often than not that people with Fibromyalgia have had a traumatic childhood?

Also, do y'all seem to notice some Epstein-Barr Virus connection? Have many of you had a bad bout of Mononucleosis ever?

Finally, does it seem like getting a good night's sleep really helps the pain and fatigue? My doctor was telling me that normal people who are sleep-deprived hurt and feel fatigued just like people with Fibromyalgia. He says that many Fibro sufferers sleep and often sleep a lot, but it is non-productive.

Has anyone noticed a change in their fatigue level or pain level after taking sleeping meds?

My worst problem is fatigue. I hurt all day, every day, but it's the fatigue that kills me. I got back from the pharmacy with three prescriptions all of which cause drowsiness. I don't need help feeling drowsy. I do very well with that on my own.

If anyone has any encouraging advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks. :)
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I did have a traumatic childhood but I do not think that had anything at all to do with my FM as I was showing symptoms before that ever happened. Age 3.

Now I did have a bad bout of Mono at age 3 so I suppose there could be something to that theory.

Yes quality of sleep can have an effect on fatigue and pain.

I always feel better when I get good sleep.

Sleep has always been a problem for me my whole life...I am on some sleep meds but even with them I don't always get good quality of sleep.

I use a combination of meds that help me function but I still hurt all the time...the meds just help with the level of pain.
  3. Samantha_M

Samantha_M New Member

What sort of symptoms did you have at age 3?

Have most people with FM noticed a low energy level throughout their lives?
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Well according to my mom I had early symptoms of IBS, I was sick all the time, I had sleep issues that young...I never got proper sleep and I had pains which the docs wrote off to growing pains. And a lot of abdominal pains.
  5. Samantha_M

Samantha_M New Member

So is the only way you know if you have gotten good quality of sleep is if you feel better when you wake up? And when you say that you've always had trouble sleeping, do you have frequent waking or trouble getting to sleep? Are there some nights you sleep all night but realize you didn't get a good quality of sleep?

Sorry to bombard you! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
  6. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Well I have CFS, not FMS... so this might not apply, but I had a pretty normal childhood, didn't get sick all that often, and had mono in college and recovered pretty uneventfully. If I didn't sleep well, I did feel pretty crappy though... I think for some people those things you mentioned play a part in triggering their illness, but certainly not for everyone...
  7. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Sleep study is the technical way to do it... but sleep quality is pretty subjective. I had a normal sleep study, but I stall have a lot of fatigue. Its not "sleepy" fatigue though...
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I mostly have trouble with falling asleep now. I have meds to take and it still takes me a very long time to fall asleep but once I get to sleep I will sleep for a long time.

When I was younger I had trouble with falling asleep and also with waking up during sleep.

I almost always felt as though I got no sleep upon waking even if I had between 8 - 12 hours of sleep.

I have better sleep now but not all the time, it is something I still struggle with. I am doing better though.