CHILDHOOD TRAUMA RAISES CFS RISK WEB MED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Thaught you all would like to see this one.

Sue

• Bipolar Treatment Childhood Trauma Raises CFS Risk

Researchers Also Say Stress Is a Factor in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
    on Monday, November 06, 2006

More From WebMD

All About Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

What Causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Healing the Doctor-Patient Relationship

Nov. 6, 2006 -- Childhood trauma raises a person's risk of chronic fatigue syndromechronic fatigue syndrome by three- to eightfold, CDC researchers find.

Another study, based on data from the Swedish twin registry, shows stressstress to be a triggering factor for chronic fatiguefatigue syndrome (CFS). It also shows that emotional instability is a significant CFS risk factor, although genetic and family factors determine whether this personality trait leads to fatigue.

"Our observations lend support for the hypothesis that CFS represents a disorder of adaptation that is promoted by early environmental insults, leading to failure to compensate in response to challenge," conclude CDC researcher Christine Heim, PhD, and colleagues.

"Stress is a significant risk factor for chronic fatigue-like illness, the effect of which may be buffered by genetic influences," conclude Karolinska Institute researcher Kenji Kato, PhD, and colleagues. "Emotional instability assessed 25 years earlier is associated with chronic fatigue through genetic mechanisms contributing to both personality style and expression of the disorder."

Both studies appear in the November issue of Archives of General Psychiatry.

Worse Trauma, Higher CFS Risk

Heim's CDC team is studying CFS in a community-based sample of more than 56,000 residents of Wichita, Kan. At the time of the study, they had identified 43 people with ongoing CFS. For the study, they compared these people to 60 matched people without fatigue.

A key finding was that more severe childhood trauma was linked to a higher risk of CFS. And the type of childhood trauma was important, too. They found:

Eightfold higher risk of CFS with childhood sexual abuse.
    5.9-fold higher risk of CFS with childhood physical neglect.
    4.6-fold higher risk of CFS with childhood emotional neglect.
    4.3-fold higher risk of CFS with childhood physical abuse.
    2.9-fold higher risk of CFS with childhood emotional abuse.
    "It appears that CFS is part of a spectrum of disorders that are associated with childhood adversity," Heim and colleagues suggest. "In adulthood, these disorders frequently manifest or worsen in relation to acute stress or challenge. … These disorders might reflect the brain's inability to adapt or compensate in response to challenge, leading toward maladaptive responses and ultimately disease."

Stress, Emotional Instability, and CFS

Kato and colleagues looked at data on more than 19,000 twins born in Sweden from 1935 to 1958.

They found that emotionally instability was linked to a 72% higher risk of CFS symptoms. Emotional instability is a personality trait. People with emotional instability tend to have low self-esteem and feelings of anxiety, depressiondepression, and guilt.

But emotional instability, Kato and colleagues find, is only part of the equation. High levels of stress -- reported up to 25 years before CFS symptoms appeared -- increased CFS risk by 64%.

When the researchers looked only at twins sharing the same genetic makeup, they found that emotional instability no longer predicted CFS. But stress upped a twin's odds of having CFS by nearly sixfold.

This, Kato and colleagues conclude, means that while emotional instability is an important risk for CFS, whether a person with this personality trait actually gets CFS depends on unknown genetic and family factors. Thus, emotional instability is an indirect risk factor for CFS, while stress is a direct risk factor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Heim, C. Archives of General Psychiatry, November 2006; vol 63: pp 1258-1266. Kato, K. Archives of General Psychiatry, November 2006; vol 63: pp 1267-1272.

FREE WebMD Daily NewsletterGet breaking medical news.Email:
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I have so much to say about this. What I really want to say is "welcome to the party psychological fielders."
    When I was a child these psychologists were a joke. They aloud a sick step father of mine, to recieve custody of myself and all my brothers. Him not even being the biological father of four of us.

He physically, and mentally abused us, I mean he beat the crap out of us, for seven years until my mother was finally able to get a divorce from this jerk.
    Here in Ohio at that time you were forced to go to counseling in order to get a divorce. After a few sessions with this idiot counselor, his decision was that the wicked step father was more properly fit to have custody, rather than my alcoholic mother. (I would have drank too)

I lost faith in the psychological field then and I don't really see how they've changed much since.

These comments of mine are in no means intended towards you. I'm just saying where have they been?
    Probably on some of those drugs that they prescribed to me. That would explain their inability to do their patients justice.

Dan
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'ld like to look up that idiot counselor today.

I hope he's lived a fruitful and prosperous life.
  5. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

Well, I guess I might have cfs too according to those stats. I sure had a lot of trauma happening in my childhood. I wont go into detail, but I've been dx'd with PTSD.

After years of therapy and RX drugs, I'm beginning to improve. Very interesting, but not surprising.

Btw, those sure are little cuties in your bio pic. Granddaughter's no doubt?

sees
  6. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

My childhood trauma, I'm sure is why I burned out early...

You can read about it there...Painful to typr it again...It is a raw, and sensitive day for me...and flaring, brain is tired.

I am so sorry we all went thru this, and that ANY CHILD has to go thru it...No child deserves that kind of life...trying to break the cycle for my boys...So they can be happy, productive people.

Suz
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

whether experienced as an adult or child... and trauma can be physical illness as it was for me and/or mental, ie, stress, besides being in an abusive relationship or having an abusive childhood.

I had a boring childhood... but got very ill with mono and meningitis from mono for a year at 18-19 yo, never been right since. Major downswing happened after a lot of stress over a 3 year period a bit over 10 years ago, set me on a general downswing overall.

I can't see that it matters whether stress from physical or mental traumas happens early or later in one's life, it all can depress our immune systems?

Add to that the fact we all most likely have one or more stealth pathogens that can hide out, be they virii or bacteria or both... I know the year-long mono & meningitis was the main thing for me, even tho Epstein-Barr tests do not show it as active in me.

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  8. wish_to_be_healthy

...I think we all are reacting to trauma to our body, soul, and spirit, with this disease.

I also have had multiple illnesses that happened, and physical trauma, and saw someone killed when I was 19 in a bloodly motorcycle accident, he was my one of my boyfriend's closest friends ...right in front of my house where we were living...That could have done it...

All of this could have contibuted to me getting ill...or my deficit in being able to roll with the trauma (PTSD)

Or maybe it was inherited from my parents, who have these deficits also...a genetic precursor.

I think we all are different with these diseases...not one cause...differnt symptoms presenting in different ways.

I don't think this article is implying that this is the only cause for CFS, only one possibility, in many.
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think that the biggest emotional trauma I had as a kid was when my cousin was killed in viet nam .Also my oldest brother was in Viet Nam at the same time .To watch my family go threw so much grief and stress was so hard on me. I never realized just how hard until my Husband joined the Army years later .

I lived with constant fear of him going to war and being killed. Even now that he is retired I will feel so much fear when we hear of someone being killed in war.

This is not a political statement by any means .If anything I would hope that people realize the stress that goes on to the children during war time.Specially the children of those that go to fight our wars.It is a trauma they never get over weather they even connect it or not to depression ,mental or physical trauma.

10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

The only thing I know is that the extended time one is exposed to stress hormones (adrenaline) one tend to get an adrenal burnout, which will obviously trigger CFS/FM in SUSPENSIBLE people. I still believe CFS/FM is hereditary somehow. There are people who are severely abused but never develop for ex. PTSD, but others do. I am one of them. I am sure they find a connection since there is one, but they are way off track!

if you have emotional instability (trait) you will obviously release more stress hormones (again!) and the one with suspensibility (again!) may develop CFS! Gee, they gotta give it a break!
  11. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

Interesting article, thanks for posting it, suzetal.

This, and other studies, clearly shows that trauma raises the risk of getting this illness.

Hopefully, studies like this will lead to increased funding for Child Abuse Prevention.

And, that's right, stating that "trauma raises the risk of getting CFS" is not the same as saying that the only cause of CFS is trauma.

I think trauma raises the risk of Gulf War Syndrome, and other illnesses, also. We are seeing an increase of illness, both mental & physical, among returning soldiers.

Nancy
  12. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Thank you for posting this Suzetal. Physical/ health consiquences from having to be on a hightened alert due to early abuse makes sense to me. It drains all energey. Great post.

MM
  13. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

these are two different animals. For those who post trauma is trauma, when a child goes through traumatic events it is very different.

For a child to suffer trauma, the child is helpless and not emotionally equiped to handle this, vs an adult. Adults have choices, children don't.

I have learned this in therapy. Please do not say that trauma is trauma. It is different when it happens to children.

thanks , sees
  14. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Having had childhood trauma and PTSD related to it, I know I was constantly under threat emotionally which kept my stress hormones - fight or flight - on overdrive all the time. I know that is what made me susceptible to what I also believe is a genetically inherited autoimmune-rellated disease. (Mom w/mild FMS, sis w/lupus, etc etc...)
    Kim
  15. wish_to_be_healthy

The trauma I experienced at the hands of my mom and dad, who were supposed to protect me is different, then a trauma happening as an adult...although because of what I experienced as a child,the abuse has had repercussions on how safe I feel in the world, and feeling retraumatised...reliving the same feelings I felt when abused as a child. (PTSD)

The point I was trying to make was that all trauma is bad for us with this disease.

Please forgive me if I didn't make that clearer...I was trying to be diplomatic, and not discount what other's have gone thru in their experiences.

I hope this makes my point clearer, and that you can accept my appology,

Suz[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  16. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My childhood was a good one with a very caring mother and father. The only trauma I suffered as a child was marrying an abuser at 18. I say that with tongue in cheek as 18, in my mind, is still a child.

Despite my parents objections, I married and suffered emotional and physical abuse. Although my parents were really great parents, back then it was not unusual to not speak of these things with parents. I didn't want to make them think that I did pull a blunder by getting married, so I stuck it out for 15 years.

Being in a church that was totally against leaving a husband, after all, the husband is the head of the wife, didn't help either.

That was all many years ago, but I don't believe that all the truama of the bad marriage actually caused the problems, but aided in the development of my FMS, IBS, CFS, and my lupus. No amount of counseling can rectify the problem of abuse be it by parents or by spouse. The problems go deep down inside the soul and are not easily dealt with.

My marriage was over nearly 30 years ago, and only about 15 years ago was I even able to verbalize the abuse to some of my friends and family. It is all just so ugly a person wants to keep it hidden. As years go by, I can talk about it more and more.

What makes it harder is that I've never put my ex down to my three children, and we all get together for holidays and birthdays for the grandkids sake. I have trouble speaking to my ex. I am 60 now and he is 62. We've been divorced since I was 31 ... a long time. I'm decent, but just can't get into discussions with him. I love his mother to death and am very much in touch with her.
  17. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

That article blows me away! It is me to a T! I wish I did not have the emotional instability but can you change your personality? I think the abuse and trauma I went through as a child may have changed my personality and even brain chemistry. I also know that it may be genetics too since some other members of my family have this dd too. But they also have the experience of childhood truama. Very interesting. Wish I could take all that away but all I can do is create a healthy, loving, family for my sweet baby boy(well he is 4 and a half now!)

Sorekitty
  18. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

Dear wish, apology accepted, and I must also apologize. I did read your post on Lolalee's topic.

This is just a touchy topic for me. When I feel passionate about something, I tend to be too assertive. I'm sorry if I came off, sounding mean.

I'm really a gentle soul, I still have that tough armor to protect myself. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Those who have experienced childhood trauma, will know where I'm coming from hopefully. Thank you so much for your apology.
  19. wish_to_be_healthy

Thank you...

Suz
  20. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Thanks for posting the article Suzetal..I too am usually sceptical of Psych. research as it seems a very inexact "science" where much low quality reaearch is more a projection of " researchers" biases.

I believe that having a neurological illness (ie.Virus or pathogen) chipping away at our nervous systems makes us a bit reactive and unstable.Additionally most people overreact emotionally when they are dog tired.

I think my childhood was a bit stressful but i have had so much more time to contemplate the deficiencies since I have been sick..It is a challenge to deal with the demons when you are tired, unwell and alone.

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]