Children of Vietnam Vets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daisyrock3, Sep 12, 2006.

1. daisyrock3

daisyrock3 New Member

Hi everyone! I am new here and I have a question. Is anyone here the offspring of a Vietnam Vet? My sister and I have recently been diagnosed with fibro and we also have numerous other health issues. I would really like to see some stats on this subject. My dad was in Vietnam and of course was exposed to Asian Orange. Thanks for the support!

Linda
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Many of our members trace their disease to exposure to toxic substances. I wonder if a parent could pass on genetic damage from A.O?

I am sorry that you have this illness too. This is a very welcoming and knowledgable support group, and we are happy to have you.
    ((welcome)) Shannon
  3. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

I was already born when my Dad was in Viet Nam. I think his being exposed to agent orange started his long process of ill health & panic attacks and death from lung cancer.

Medical people are stating the symptoms of Gulf war syndrome are the same as fibro & CIFIDS. It could be exposure to jet fuel & other chemicals or the lack of sleep.

My Dad war exposed during the Nevada atomic tests in the 50's and in Korea before I was born. I was born with pneumonia and have had thyroid and respiratory problems all my life.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

worked in Nevada with the atomic materials in the 1950's.
    And, was in Navy in the Korean war too.

I don't know a lot about his medical issues because I was only 6 when his took his life. However I do know that he had some major depression--spent some time at Utah State Hospital.

I've had lots of depression in my own life in addition to the Fibro.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2006]
  5. daisyrock3

daisyrock3 New Member

Do you know of anyone conducting an American study? Or where I may find out more information about the subject on Americans? I guess it really doesn't matter though! Thanks!
  6. jenemc

jenemc New Member

My husband has ptsd adn suffers from agent orange. and a few others. his daughters both have skin problems and his oldest daughter has asthma and oldest grandson has chronic asthma.

I'm not sure, but i think you can google children of vietnam vets support groups and find one to help you also.

jennie
  7. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

My father was over there six years before I was born. He was only there for 6 months but I've wondered if some of his health issues are from that time.
    I did a search awhile ago to find articles about any kind of link, but don't think I found anything definitive. I can't remember.
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

if you want stats you might want to contact veterans groups like The Non Commission Officers Association of the United States of America or The Children of Vietnam Vets, American Legion ,I am sure your VFW hall can give you help in finding them or google them most have web sites.

Good Luck and we care come bad let us know what you find out.
  9. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hi, I'm the proud Daughter of a WWI, Korean War and Viet Nam War veteran. My Dad was also at the Nevada test sites. There is a growing controversy that soldiers from WWII on, & their children have been suffering from auto-immune diseases caused by some of the chemicals in the fuels the military uses.

I was born with pneumonia, (9 months after a furlow visit from Korea by my Father. I grew up with ENT and thyroid problems. I now have a Mystery lung fibrosis disease that may be related to asbestos exposure, but may not. I have a mystery ILD, Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, RA, Dyslexia and Atypical Mesothelial Hyperplasia. I am clinically depressed and have suffered from deppression since a child. I am a survivor of child abuse, rape & have PTSD.

Dang.....I think I'll go back to bed now. LOL!!!
    Oh, and I have a morbid sense of humor.
  10. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

BeadLady, I am very sorry you lost your Father that way.

signed, another BeadLady