Chinese Food Throws Me In Major Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by louiesgirl2, Oct 14, 2005.

1. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Coming down with a cold, so I get egg drop/wonton mix soup. This is my favorite when I get sick. Woke up this morning in severe flare. First time this has happened that I can remember. Looks like Chinese food is out for me.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

has a lot of monsodiumglutamte as a preservative in it.

I cant take it either lg.

love
    Rosie
  3. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I have terrible reactions to it. Usually you can request "No MSG", except for in soups... they are already pre-made in large amounts... So sorry- I know I love Chinese food. Maybe if you try 0 msg, you CAN tolerate it!

Good Luck!
    Lollie
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I love Chinese food, but I think the MSG really gets to me

You'd be surprised that MSG is in alot of items that you buy at the store like soup, chips, dips

It pays to read the label

I have a friend from China, and he says that even if you would ask for "no MSG" in your order at a Chinese restaurant, most likely they already have the stuff made up, so you will still get MSG in it
  5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

MSG, I agree with all above posts.

Sbilek
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

along with all the other nasty preservatives and hidden ingredients that can be turned into msg once cooked...

Chicken broth and soy sauce to name two...

They caused my husband to have seizures as well as my chocolate lab Moose...

I am amazed at what msg is in and what it is disguised as...I have a list that I found online at excitotoxins dot com...do some research, you will be surprised that mostly everything packaged, prepared and even frozen, contains one or more of these "toxins"...

I only feed my boys Flint River Ranch foods and absolutely no treats, unless I make them...

If I only ate as well as I force my "kids" to, I may actually feel better...

Boy, I miss the taste of Chinese Food...

Eat well for better health ~ ALICIA
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I LOVE Chinese Food, but it barely gets in my stomach and its back out again. I don't even get to finish my meal and I'm praying to the porcelin god. I get so sick that I usually end up with the dry heaves too. It's horrible and I've learned my lesson.

I use to love Hot & Sour soup when my sinuses were bothering me.
    Tigger
  8. mariee

mariee Member

Some chinese food places are posting no msg signs in ads.
    Could it have been your cold?
    Sometimes when I get a virus, I go into a major flare.
    Just a thought....

(I love Chinese food, but have to watch the sugar...)
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone once posted here all the names by which MSG can be called. Even if one doesn't see it listed, it doesn't mean it's not there. Processed foods have lots of preservatives and flavor enhancers, any one of which could throw us into a flare. I only eat Chinese food which contains no MSG.

Spicy Oriental food is good for what ails us if it is made without MSG. When I lived in Denver, I got pneumonia my last winter there. I ate at a Vietnamese restaurant about three times a week and had their spiciest food. It really helped to clear my lungs.

Love, Mikie
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

The MSG is very bad for anyone but you also may have food intolerances. Soy is one thing that will make some people ---including myself very sick. As soon as I eat Chinese food I get sick.(I mean what I eat in Restaurants) I make it at home without MSG and Soy! Try making your own soup without MSG and Soy and see how you feel after that. If you can eat it,Then try some with Soy and see what happens. You can tell if it's Soy or MSG or both. Also remember that Bouillion cubes have MSG. I was using tons of Bouillion before I realized that they have MSG in them. Now you can buy them without MSG. Read the labels.
    Shirley
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I used to be able to eat Chinese food, in fact that's how my DH & I meet.
    Then I started getting sick from it, so a friend, told me to order my food, without, MSG.

The Eggrolls, still had it, because it was premade, but everything else, wasn't a problem.

I sure do miss it tho, as most foods now make me sick with out without the MSG. ;o(
    sharonk