Chinese Medicine and Qigong Please Read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have heard that some people with CFIDS and/or FMS have benefited from Chinese Medicine (Herbs) and Qigong (definition per Wikopedia.... Qigong or "Energy-Cultivation", is an aspect of Chinese medicine involving the coordination of different breathing patterns with various physical postures and motions of the body).

This is the next thing I am going to try in an effort to get well. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these?

Lolalee
  2. dorrene

dorrene New Member

Yes, I take chinese tonic pills. I've gone to many accupunrists over the years and I have found just taking the right pills (for you) does help. You have to find a good chinese doctor( one from China)not just an accupunturist. My best friend is an accupunrist in the SF bay area and she believes doctors from China are the best.
    In this country they practice as accupunturists.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've used a couple of different Chinese doctors (actually from China and licensed there) prescribe herbs. I also have had acupuncture (from an American who has had substantial training by Chinese doctors).

I gave this a very good chance and did not find any really significant difference.

This is compared to my husband, who got a long-standing liver problem fixed in a single course of herbs from one of the Chinese doctors.

TCM is much better for liver problems, than CFS, I think.

I tend to think that Astralagus and Ginseng (Panax/Siberian rather than American or, especially, Korean) has a good general tonic effect on CFS sufferers. (Astralagus helps the immune system and ginseng the adrenals.)

I don't think they have anything even remotely approaching miracles for CFS, though.

I don't know about fibro. It's possible they're better at that.

P.S. I do believe that reflexology--deep foot massage--can be very helpful for CFS. It has to be the real kind though---done by doctors trained in China/Taiwan (or at least really well trained in that technique) and so hard that the pain is almost torturous.

I had this in Japan and found it extremely helpful. Other people on the board (this is from the archives) who have lived in Asia have said the same thing.

I have been unable to find anyone to do this sort of work in Chicago, however. (There may be some who only serve Chinese clients; eventually I may dig more to try to find one.) There are some in SF, although it's hard to get them to believe you want the "real thing" rather than the soothing Western-style foot massage.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

There's another post about this called "Acupuncture" floating about now that you might want to read.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I know there are some good TCM and acupuncture doctors in the U.S., but what I haven't been able to find here are really good relflexologists (with Chinese training).

My doctor now has a staff of "complementary" practitioners working with him. I suggested that he get someone for reflexology, and he said that he would like to but that they are extremely hard to find.

If anyone has found anyone in the U.S., please let me know!
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I think more emphasis is put on Western and Eastern forms of medicine, not necessarily because they are better, but because in most areas of the U.S. they are more visible and accessible.

Lolalee
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Lolalee,
    I have been going to an acupuncturist for almost 8 months, now, and I'm getting better. My Fibro pain is almost gone, and I can read again, for longer peroids, and I remember more of what I read. My brain fog is minimal , now, and my recovery time, if I overdo, is less. I'm very happy I decided to try acupuncture.

My acupuncturist is also an herbalsist and he gives me herbal remedies that he makes. He is proficient in Chinese Medicine, and has studied in Tibet. He's supplementing my treatments with classes on healing breathing exercises, taken from Yoga and other disciplines.

I also studied Chi Gung for a while. I just loved it, and I got stronger and much more confident. Unfortunately, now, the arthritis in my knees is too bad, and I have to do it sitting down, which is still good, although not the same.
    I was taught the "Five Organ Healing Chi Gung". I also find it very peace inducing.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
    Terry

8. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I would like to second what Dorrene has said re finding a practitioner..In the early days of my illness where i had significant gut and liver issues the dark black mixture which I boiled up was a life saver..In fact it was the best thing in the first 5 severe years..
    The concoction improved
    My sleep
    My digestion
    My energy levels
    My overall feeling of wellbeing/
    I can remember crawling out of bed and cooking up the herbs so I could go on with my day in the upright position.
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Please....no apology necessary. There was no misunderstanding on my part. I was just trying to add to or comment on what you said about medicine of other countries. I agree with you that there are many methods...just not easily accessible at least in my part of the country.

Lolalee
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

11. lilking

lilking New Member

HI LOLALEE
    HAS ANYBODY TRIED GOJI BERRIESI MAKE A SOYA DRINK
    WITH THEM THEY ARE VERY GOOD FOR CONSTIPATION

GOD BLESS
    &HUGS
    LILLIE
  12. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I have acupuncture and herbal medicine from a chinese doctor, which is great. It is now the only treatment i have in conjunction with diet and supplements and exercise. It is making a really big difference although because i have been ill for so long progress is slow and sometimes it feels hard to notice any differences. If i have a headache when i go it vanishes during treatment and i know others say that they see big differences in their problems, i guess this is harder to see with CFS/FMS as it is usually a longstanding condition.
    I like that they treat you as a whole person rather than just trying to fix one problem individually and ignoring the others. There is a book called wood becomes water which i found explained the ideas of TCM more simply than other books i tried to read.
    I would recommend getting a chinese practitioner who trained fully in china as they are usually more experienced. Also be careful as there is a difference between chinese and western acupuncture, so check what type they practice.
    I have tried Qi gong and think it is really good- seems to get my energy moving and i feel stronger afterwards- i only do some simple exercises as i have found it hard to find a class and i find it hard to learn from a book-
    If anyone finds a DVD i would love to hear about it!
    Let us know how you get on.
  13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks for responding. I haven't been on the board much. I've been in a flare for the past 8 months...really, really sick. I've been trying new things. I am glad that I've started treatment with the Chinese Herbalist. She is outstanding!!!! I had tried Acupuncture in the past with really bad experiences and thought I'd never try it again. Wow!! what a difference it makes when you go to someone who is sensitive and tunes in to your personality and your needs. I'm taking an herbal tonic and she is doing a form of Reiki massage as well.

I'm starting to feel better but I have to be careful to conserve my energy. I'm also drinking fresh veggie juice daily as well as eliminating sugar, wheat, dairy, processed foods as much as possible. Today I'm fighting with myself because I really want to go out and do a little shopping, but I am very tired. The weather is bad which makes matters worse.

Lolalee
  14. California31

California31 New Member

Hi...was virtually sympton-free from FM....up till about 4 months ago....then BAM....upper arm "stuff". I began seeing a Tibetan doctor in San Diego who works with herbs and diet about 4 years ago(he is an expert in MS....and collaborates with Western docs at University of California in MS research...)
    My condition was better after the first visit to him.
    We're not sure about the "flare"....it's been painful....I see him again next week....I think I've been getting better since the last visit to him (about 2 mos. ago)...he suggested acupunture (which I have had many, many, many times...but with FM....sometimes you have to be careful of the skin sensitivity)....
    The flare up came as such a surprise...I didn't relate to it as FM...just thought I'd pulled my musles earlier.
    Other energy can be helpful....(Qigong..Reiki...there's a long list)....as with anything in the pursuit of help with FM....we know alot is individual.
    What I like about Tibetan medicine...is that is very much directed to the individual....what might be prescribed for me for "same" condition....might be very different in what is prescribed for someone else.
    I personally had great help with pain reduction, initally...with an MD in Santa Monica....who I think was amazing..he also used other protocols besides "western"...such as geranium oil...bio-feedback...and a variety of things that I can't remember..and once the pain was gone...he was big on strength building...had a physical therapist on site...
    So....yes....I believe help can come in many forms...many disciplines.
    All the best.
  15. DixieDe

DixieDe Member

Hi lolalee,
    I had posted for you yesterday. I had encouraged you to find Dr. Ecklund in Foley. I was just given some information on him that is very disturbing. I'm so sorry I recommended him to you. He's no longer practicing medicine in AL. He had really helped me six years ago but has gotten into some trouble.

Hope that you find some things to help you to get well. I'm in a flare also. I'm having thyroid problems again. Best Wishes. Dixiede
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are in such a flare, but happy to hear that you've found something that helps. Hope you are happy and healthy for Christmas!!
  17. leubie

leubie New Member

hey everyone--------this is very interesting info--------im taking strong narcotic pain meds-------------do they have anything for me to try/replace for very intense horrible pain????-----------what about muscle relaxors????? -----------thanks again------------LOVE TO ALL---------LAURA
  18. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I am glad to hear it is going well and you have found someone you trust. I have a lot of confidence in this approach although at times it seems slow, but i think as they treat the root of the problem rather than the symptom it should be longer lasting as my body is being able to heal itself. I have been going for a year now and unless i really overdo it i don't really have any symptoms such as aches and pains, fever, sore throats etc, etc any more. My energy is still pretty low as this is apparently the last thing to improve- also made worse by the fact i am struggling with a few hours work a day and am not doing things like exercise etc that would help me improve. I am taking six months off work from the end of january and am hoping this will help me improve a lot more.
    Have you tried Qigong yet?