CHINOOKS do they make you worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reenaj, May 2, 2006.

1. reenaj

reenaj New Member

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, but not new to fibromyalgia. I live in Calgary and am just wondering if anyone else finds the Chinooks to be quite unbearable. (Chinooks are warm winds from the rockies). I suffer greatly from the barometric pressure changes, the drastic changes in weather, the high altitude and the thin air. I am originally from Nova Scotia and every couple of years visit there, which is at sea level and has a higher concentration of oxygen. I notice when I am there, I have no pain, have lots of energy and just generally feel great! I wish that I could move back but there are reasons at the present time which make it impossible. Some day I hope to get back there but until then I really suffer.

Anyone else?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My partner does not have CFS/FM, but he and his mother get pains in the head, neck and shoulders whenever there is a weather change like storm clouds moving in.

I notice I can breathe better whenever I visit relatives in Oregon/Washington. But as you say, there are other considerations that prevent moving.
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

I live in Calgary too and I find that I do better with chinooks. They are usually sunnier and drier than other weather. I suffer more in damp, cloudy weather.
  4. belly_acres

belly_acres New Member

I used to live in Calgary and the chinooks, high pressure or low pressure systems were awful. I live up north now and it's still the same - pain whenever the weather changes - only plus side is my hubbie the farmer loves that I can predict changes so accurately!

Cori
  5. reenaj

reenaj New Member

Wow belly_acres, it's amazing there is an actual benefit to your pain. I have people where I work who ask me what the weather is going to be like.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I grew up in CO at the base of the Rockies at high altitude. The winds, in general, there were very depressing and energy sapping. I now live in SW FL at sea level and I feel so much better. We have balmy breezes here but they feel "friendly" and make me feel better.

Love, Mikie