Chiropractic Care for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

So I am thinking about trying another treatment method-on to round 10! I am determined to find something.

I had an evaluation today from one dr..he told me certain areas of my spine were out of alignment (I now they all say that!) I am a little weary so I am going to get a second opinion. I go back to him next week for my treatment plan then I will decide. He never promised a cure but told me he could help with my fatgigue. He said that if your central nervous system is out of whack (your spine) Then you can't heal. It actually makes sense but I know some people do not think too highly of chirpracters. I don't have any pain just fatigue, fevers and some other things!

Ayyone have any experience?
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

The chiropractor completely eliminated my chronic sinus infections and my son's constipation that he experienced from his first mouthful of Pablum. Totally cured.

However, after my treasured chiropractor retired, our family all went to a new chiropractor and I think he was a charlatan. All four of us went 2,3 or 4 times a week for years. None of us noticed an improvement in anything.

I finally wised up and started seeing a new chiropractor who is very skilled. If I have an acute problem, I see him several times in a row and then just when I feel the need.

Perhaps your situation is different as we are all different. But I have CFS and FM and have never noticed any improvement in my fatigue and little improvement in my pain unless it was an acute episode.

I would certainly get a second opinion and make sure it isn't from a chiropractor that has you coming as often as that guy had my family coming.

Pepper

P.S. My older son couldn't afford to go to the chiropractor after he got married. He had been going 3 times a week for years. It took him 2 months of terrible pain and then it all went away! He thinks that chiropractic actually kept him in pain. Just his opinion.
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi - I've used chiropractors and osteopaths over the years, when I was healthy, and while I have been sick.

Personally, I have found osteopaths to be better - you end up seeing them less, instead of more.

When I was seeing a chiropractor, it started at once a month, then once a fortnight, then weekly.. my back and neck seemed to be going out all the time.

When I went back to osteo treatment, the reverse happened. I now go on average once a month, or as I need to.

Sorry to say though, it has made no difference to fatigue levels. But I get relief from sore back and shoulders when things are not in their right place.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I'm a believer in chiropractic care. I believe it's good to get adjusted regularly to keep yourself "open" -- but then again, I have a great chiropractor who never had me coming multiple times per week.

It's worth a shot.....hope it helps!

How are you doing with your fevers?

scapper
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I still have them now they are back to everyday..I seemed to have relapsed after my father in law passed away 6 weeks ago. I even tried not to get upset and stressed when he died and I still crashed..so frustrating!
  6. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

I just have this one comment and then I have to go for the night. I have a great Pain Management doctor and I asked him if a chiropracter or an accupuncturist would help my fibromyalgia. He definately feels an accupunturist would benefit me for the pain. So far he's been right about everything else.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sounds as if you have CFS as I do but I still have areas of pain from stress, aging and tension - like sitting here at this computer for too long. My chiropractor is a God-send for neck, hip and lower back pain. I'd highly recommend a good one. Ask around for recommendations, try it for a few months and see how you feel.

Michelle has a good point though. If you have a D.O. who does adjustments, they're even better. Their adjustments seem to last longer. So many D.O. don't do them though.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  8. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Have you tried acupuncture already?

I'm wondering if a good acupuncturist, preferably one who also incorporates chinese medicine, would help with not only your fatigue but your fevers.

I know how horrible fevers can make you feel!!

I had fevers everyday for my first 2 years sick. I started seeing a Korean acupuncturist in my 2nd year sick and eventually my fevers stopped. Now I'm not sure if my cfids shifted or if it were from the acupuncture. I also had migraines every single day and I know for sure the acupuncture cleared this for me.

I still get fevers every fall....still not sure why. I know how much harder functioning is WITH them.

Just some thoughts......scapper
  9. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

I went to an acupuncturist once and the first thing he did was to put a drop of my blood on a slide and we looked at it on a monitor. He showed me signs of toxins and fungus ( I was exposed to toxic mold) I had one treatment and it did help, but this was before i was diagnosed with fibro. I could not afford anymore treatments at that time, I needed to see other doctors. I will see an accupuncturist as soon as my pain management doctor says its ok. He is very good and so i go by what he says.
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

I am seeing an acupuncturist. I started in June...I started to feel slighlty better with the fevers but when I relapsed nothign seems to be helping.

How often did you see him? For how Long? She also put me on chinese herbs but they make my heart race a little.

What is the difference between Korean vs. chinese acupuncture?

My girl is hooked on with the chiropracter and I asked him if he could help and she said a consult could not hurt hence why I went.
  11. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Jane: I wish I could remember exact time tables, but it was so long ago. I saw the acupuncturist for at least a year, 2x per week. I can't remember how long it took for my fevers to leave me.

Have you mentioned to your acupuncturist that you suffered a loss? I'm just wondering if they can hit some emotional points for you since this seems to be the catalyst for your recent relapse.

I've always negated the role of emotions and my illness, always thinking it was purely physical in nature. After 12 years, I'm beginning to see how my emotions are tied in here and I think acupuncture can help in this area as well.

I hope you come out of this relapse soon!!

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

scapper
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

wow you went a lot..I go once a week or once every two weeks..seems to rotate...I wonder if more would help or if just over time it works better. I was assuming it is not instant.. The thign is I do not find it enjoyable which probably gets me nervous. I do believe it can help though so I go. I just get such aches and stingy sensations when it first goes in-I hate needles. She takes them out if it really bothers me but ouch!

Yes she does know about the loss and did some anxiety points on my head.
  13. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I think it really depends on the practitioner. I'm seeing someone now....I think my 3rd acupuncturist since I got sick......and I'm not crazy over his method. Not that it hurts, but just the whole process seems so drawn out w/ him.

It was never like that w/ my prior practitioner. Since I'm not able to drive too far any more, I'm seeing someone local. Just thought I'd let you know that each person is very different since you're not crazy over yours.

It definitely takes time to see results......time to open meridians, change your chi (energy). I'm assuming you've told your practitioner about your fevers too?

I hope you're able to balance out your emotions so your body can begin to heal (again).

scapper