Chiropractic treatment for lower back pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, Aug 5, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

Has anyone had any success with Chiropractic treatment for lower back pain? I can not do any type of activity whatsoever without severe lower back pain. Just standing for any amount of time makes me want to cry the pain is so bad. Forget about doing any type of housework. I went to an Orthopedist and he took x rays and did not find anything except very tight muscles in my back. He wants me to go to Physical Therapy but I think that might make me worse. I have an appointment with a Chiro tomorrow. Has anyone else tried a chiro??
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It sounds like you might have a herniated disc and I don't think that shows up on an xray. I had to have an MRI to find mine and they were the bottom two discs and I could hardly MOVE at times, it was so painful. I feel for you! I saw an MD and a chiro for it, and the chiro helped alot.

Marilyn :)
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hi, sorry to hear of your pain and I know it too well. I am 42 and have had chiropractic care for over 20 years. They all seem to have their own style and theories. I can no longer see one that does not use a gentle technique. Right now, I see an Osteopath who is amazing. I still live with chronic persistant pain and have multiple mechanical disorders and disease in my spine. However, I experience less pain as a result of her work. Maybe someday it will last more than a few hours. At any rate, the temporary reduction in pain is a God send.

I wish you the best! Take care, Jan
  4. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

The strange thing is my lower back pain came out of nowhere. I mean, since I was diagnosed with Fibro, my lower back would hurt sometimes but nothing like this. I haven't had any type of injury or anything. Could the pain be from being sedentary for so long? Is lower back pain common with Fibro?
  5. imagin

imagin New Member

hi! i have severe low back pain and mine comes from two sources, instability in my hips and my low back muscles (erectors) are tight and flare up. my chiropractor has really helped with this. but everyone is different. it might be something to ask about though (instability in hips) hope i could help. :)
    -kristi :)
  6. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I went a total of 8 times over a 6 weeks period to a chiro and still have lower back pain. He said the pain is from the FIBO. My lower back is extremely sore. The chiro treatment was extremely painful. I dont think I can stand any more pain so I do not plan to go back. I have tried heat, and ice but noting helps. A lot of people I know have good results with the Chrio so try it for yourself. I would give anything if he could of helped me.
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You can get lower back pain by being sedentary and sitting at the computer alot. When we sit in front of the monitor, we tend to lean forward, and that puts alot of stress on the lowest part of the back. I also used to get back backaches a couple of days before my period....don't know why though!

Marilyn :)
  8. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have been to the chiro recently for lower back pain spasms. It helped. They also did massage. I am thinking about going to a massage therapist on a regular basis to try and keep things working.
  9. rigby

rigby New Member

I have tried PT and seeing doctor in pain clinic that was working with muscle but chiro helps the most Rigby
  10. fairyborn

fairyborn New Member

Good Day,
    I go for Chiropractic treatment on a regular basis. It does seem to help.
    Fairyborn
  11. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

It definitely seems to help me. I go once or twice a month. About a year ago, I started using a cane for support, because my legs get weak, and I noticed an increase in back pain. I asked my chiropractor about this and she said it might be due to leaning too much on one side and making me not level. She suggested that if I needed support to walk, I try two canes, and this seemed to help a lot with my back since I'm not leaning to one side when I walk.
  12. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I told him about my FM and he said it is a "wastebasket diagnosis". He thinks too many doctors are too eager to pin FM on people when they don't know what else is wrong with them. I'm so discouraged. I guess I will go back to see if there is something really wrong with my back but I don't know if I can continue to see a doctor who doesn't believe what is wrong with me.
  13. tedebear

tedebear New Member

NOT FOR ME. Been there, done that. What pain. Worse then when I started. Also done acupuncture and PT for 4 grueling months. Have inflammed SI joints and 2 buldging discs. Only remedy that works for me is nerve blocks from the Pain management doc. He is the closest thing to pain-free for me. Sorry to be a killjoy.
    Do whatever suits you best. Your system knows what you can and can't handle.
    Soft teddy hugs.
  14. imagin

imagin New Member

we must go to the same chiro! :) the first time i went to my chiroprator since being diagnosed he pretty much said the same thing. he said the pain was because of my hips, and the pain makes me tired. blah blah blah! at first i was angry because i felt like he was just casting away everything i was telling him. but then i thought about it and didn't let it get to me. so, i know how you feel and just wanted to tell ya to ignore it. a lot of people feel that way, but only you know your body. :)
    -kristi