Chiropractor has me hurting worse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Jun 9, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Went to the Chiro. today. It has been 18 months since I last saw him. If I had to do over again, I would have stayed home and tried something else instead. Now that he adjusted my neck and back, I'm in awful pain, especially in the neck where I had no problems before I saw him even though I've had past problems before...

What are your experiences with chiro's and do they do an adjustment. I'm talking actual cracking of the neck & back...

2. itzmede

itzmede New Member

I am usually sore for 2-3 days but in the long run I get relief. I have a disc protrusion and need to be adjusted and therapy several times a year. By day 2 after the adjustment I usually need a muscle relaxer. If you are sore it means something needed to be moved to it's correct position and it is not happy about it, LOL! And of course our diseases make us more sore than the typical person. Hope you feel better soon.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

mrpain:

I have had no luck with chiros.

Never again the waste of money (for me).

nyrofan
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The last time I tried a chiropractor, the same thing happened. I just thought an adjustment may help. I was getting massages on a regular basis and there was a chiropractor, that was in the same building.

He was actually gentle as he started the treatment. He takes 45 minutes with his patients. He starts my loosing the muscles manually and with a couple of machines. That part went fine. He also did streches. But when he did the adjustment on my neck, there was a loud pop and he said that was where all my problems were located. They were after that.

As I was walking down the hall after the adjustment, I broke until a cold sweat, got nauseated, and nearly passed out. I found a break room and had to stay there for awhile. As soon as my daughter, who was waiting in the lobby for me saw me, she knew that something was wrong. The pain in my neck was intense and it took me 3 months of massage therapy to get back to my normal neck and shoulder problems.

My massage therapist wanted me to go back so that he could fix it. No, I did not go. I did not know if I would live through it.

Both my husband and adult son went to another chiropractor. He was the kind that walked in and just made the adjustment. That evening my son ended up with an emergency room visit and a visit to a neurologist the next day (and is still going months later). Pains were shooting throughout his head and he was having difficulties keeping his eyelids open. He was having pulsating pains and numbness in his arms.

In the past both my son and I went to a wonderful chiropractor that practiced kinesiology. He helped us so much. He retired after many long years of dedication and help to his patients. We have not found a replacement and now we are not looking.
  5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I went to a chiropractor for years when I was younger and thought that he helped me (although why did I always start hurting again and have to go back FOREVER?? - I question it now). I went to one this Fall when my severe low back pain started and he about KILLED me!! One day I could barely walk after I went. Then I found out my low back was fractured. Did the chiropractor cause it or was it already there and he made it worse? I am not 100% sure but I will NEVER go back to a chiropractor. How can it be normal to crack our tender bones like that?
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I go regularly but find that if there's too much time in between visits, I can feel bad for a few days. Good news though, he's learned not to twist me and I don't have repercussions now. He said patients who are ill should not be twisted - except for the neck. I wish he'd learned that years ago, but I won't complain.

I have a long flannel thingie with rice and lavender in it that I put in the micro and then around my neck and shoulders. It helps the pain a lot. Be careful not to burn yourself and only use it 20 minutes at a time with a cool-down in between. Sport socks filled with rice serve the same purpose.

Good luck. Chiropractic can help but must be frequent for us and should always include xrays before beginning. An ethical chiro won't touch you without an xray first.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I used to get some help from a chiropractor and went for regular adjustments for about 5 years. As my fibromyalgia became more severe,the adjustments helped less and less, then began to cause more harm than good. In the end, the adjustments themselves hurt and the aftermath was awful. I stopped going to the chiropractor and began massage therapy instead. God bless, Anne Theresa
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mrpain,
    I did call one and asked about any treatment for people who have FMS and the secretary didn't know what I was talking about. That was good enough for me to not only leave that doc alone, but the entire chiro procedures.

I don't like the thought of my bones being cracked. JMHO

Sorry you suffered from this chiro.

Hugs,
    Faye

9. itzmede

itzmede New Member

My chiro will not adjust you if you are a new patient without x-rays first. Example: My b-in-law had back problems for about ten years. I recommended my chiro to him and he went. On reviewing the x-rays prior to going in for his adjustment, the chiro told him, "I'm not going to be able to adjust you. You have had your back broken in the past and there may be nerves that could be damaged if I do so." He said he would need an MRI before any work could be done. B-in-law remembered a game of tackle football in high school that he had severe back pain afterwards and thinks that must have been when it happened. So, if you go to a chiro for the first time and he wants to adjust you w/o the x-rays....leave!!
  10. itzmede

itzmede New Member

Some of you that have had neg experiences from the chiro could be because you really didn't need an adjustment. Trigger-point massage would probably work better for you. And a GOOD massage can help keep your spine aligned anyway. And then again, with FM even a massage can make you feel worse. I say whatever works for you...do it.
  11. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been to many over the last several years, but only when I knew I absolutely needed it. I never allowed anyone to do the traditional "cracking". There are many other tools the "good" ones can use if you tell them you're extremely sensitive.

I have a couple of good ones, but even after gentle treatments, I may hurt for a couple of days, but the original problem has been helped.

They're like all medical people; some good; others not.
    Have to get good referrals, and educate them as to your extreme sensitivity. If they don't understand that, then walk away.

Our inflammatory conditions flare with most of these treatments, even when we may need them.

Ice, ice, ice.

LIGHT************carole
  12. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

The chiropractor I went to DID do x-rays first, but unfortunately, sacral insufficiency fractures do not show on an x-ray. They showed up on a full body bone scan done 2 weeks later. Just another reason to be very, very careful, particularly if you have OTHER health concerns in addition to FM such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (what I have) or other serious diseases. Even my rheumy didn't think it was bad idea until he saw the bone scan. Then we both could have kicked ourselves. :)

God bless,
    Julie
  13. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Has anyone who has seen a chiropractor, ever gone to a accupuncturist and had better treatment??
  14. fahan

fahan New Member

been bad, pretty bad & then very good. I had to seek out and believe me I suffered because of it finanicaly & @ most phsycially.
    I did find more than one that chiro that did me great wonders, although I still was very far from functioning in everyday life as is still.

The thing I found is that the ones that really don't care about u but the money and golfing, putting theirs through college at your suffering, etc.. are the ones that will

give you a Big finac. run around in order for them to build themselves up.

Sounds like you got one of those.

For me, I'll tell you that I believe that I probably found the best of the best and she has overdone it for herself and now is gone. I mean that it is very hard work
    and we as humans require alot besides having a bad disease.

Please don't give up on them, also don't spend a fortune one them ( if you can help it) in order to find a real one.

The 2 I found reallly helped me and I can get around now as I couldn't before, believe me, I owe as much top them as I do a MD..
    I wish you good luck in finding a chirop instead of a con-man. ThE cons are very plentyful!!

Good Luck, fahan