Chlorine and your health....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Jul 12, 2003.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I found this info in some of my thyroid books. I've decided to get a shower filter and am looking at several different models. I have been drinking filtered water since 1998. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the bathroom sink water where I wash my face and brush my teeth?

Chlorine and your Health

Cancer, Heart Attacks, and Skin Problems

Scientific studies have linked chlorine and chlorination byproducts to cancer of the bladder, liver, stomach, rectum, and colon, as well as heart disease, arteriosclerosis, anemia, high blood pressure, allergic reactions, and skin conditions. Bladder and Rectal Cancer Chlorine used to purify drinking water supplies across the nation is linked to at least 4200 cases of bladder cancer and 6500 cases of rectal cancer a year, according to a new study that calls for safer purification methods. People who drink chlorinated water are at a 21 percent higher risk of developing bladder cancer and at a 38 percent higher risk of developing rectal cancer.

Heart Attacks

In 1969, Joseph M. Price, MD authored a book entitled Coronaries, Cholesterol, Chlorine, in which he linked chlorine in drinking water supplies to heart attacks. He wrote that the rate of heart attacks soared following the introduction of chlorine into the public water supply, and that heart attacks were almost unheard of in countries without chlorinated water. Dr. Price states that chlorine is the chemical catalyst that initiates damage to the arteries and the buildup of cholesterol deposits, ultimately leading to heart attacks.

Skin and Hair Problems

Chlorine wreaks havoc on skin and hair, especially when you already have sensitive skin. The chlorine in water chemically bonds with the protein in our bodies, making hair brittle and dry, and making sensitive skin dry and itchy, worsening conditions like Eczema.

Women spend millions of dollars each year on moisturizers and conditioners to fight dryness, sensitive skin, and dry, brittle hair. Simply removing Chlorine from the shower treats the situation at the source, naturally. The natural oils remain on the skin and scalp, and dryness is gone! Even cases of Eczema have been cleared.

Chlorine acts as an oxidizer to our hair color, and especially if your hair is color treated, your will have longer lasting, better color, as a result of chlorine-free water.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I just bumped up the thread on; 'Best Water Fliters' posted by; Plantscape, for you.

They had some good ideas there.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the info. I have read all kinds of things about how bad chlorine is for us. For that reason, I have quit using Splenda as a sweetener as it contains chlorine. Using bleach in our wash, using bleached paper products, and swimming pools are all additional sources of chlorine. One of the worst is the bleached white paper coffee filters. Using the brown ones is much better.

My skin is soooo dry and I worry about inhaling the fumes from the steam in the shower. I'll have to look into the shower filter. Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just researched several shower filters on the net and decided on one. I'm going to feel so much better mentally, knowing I am doing whatever I can to keep that garbage out of my system! The shower filter I ordered comes with an extra filter, and each one is good for 10,000 gallons...that's alot of water! This also takes out the lead, fluoride, etc... It just makes sense that when we shower, our pores open up more and absorb all the nasty chemicals we have in our water, and of course that's not going to be good for us. Now I have to figure out the bathroom sink thing. Maybe I'll just brush my teeth with bottled water, yeah, that'll work!

Marilyn :)
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have been reading, too, on this subject..which brand are you looking at?
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which filter did you end up deciding on and do you have to order it? I have to stop at Lowe's, so I think I'll see if they have them. I don't know much about them.

Love, Mikie