chlorine bleach (Clorox)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Jan 19, 2003.

  1. SharonR

    SharonR New Member

    The most common product in the world, and possibly the most dangerous.
    How many commercials have we seen touting "Clorox" white?
    Get rid of those dinghy whites, and Clorox yourself to death?
    My mother was a denture wearer for years before she developed Alzheimer's, and you know how she cleaned her dentures, bleach. If you had mold or mildew, or wanted to rid your kitchen of bacteria, know what she used, guess!!! Gloves, no, why? Who needs bacteria?
    She probably kept the company in the pink all by herself.
    And of course her two daughters followed suite, and now that she is expiring, and her kids are suffering from CFS, it seems that a bell goes off.
    Another spectacular product brought to you by the responsible better living institute.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  2. pamj

    pamj New Member

    I actually read somewhere recently (maybe a magazine?), that you should wash your food in bleach diluted in water to cleanse it from bacteria. It didn't even say to rinse it afterward. I wish I remember where I saw it! I think it was like a teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of water, and it even said that the fruit & veggies would stay fresher longer! I don't get it... wouldn't it be dangerous to consume bleach?

    It was most likely a magazine I got at the register at the grocery store. Hopefully someone else here read the same thing & can give us some more details.

    thanks,
    Pam
  3. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    You are so right, my MOther was one of those clean machines too. Bleach, ammonia, industral strength soap powder, furniture cleaner, floor cleaners, deodorizers, cleanser (which is powdered bleach), and the insecticides, no bug would dare walk across her floor, he would have dropped dead for sure!,

    She cooked from scratch, bought the meat from a market daily, veggies from a Farmer's Market, but yet, she died at 58 of cancer all through her body. But that house was immaculate!

    She never ate junk food, drank, or smoked, was never overweight, seemed perfectly healthy . So did my Dad, same age. My brother had a wife that was another clean nut, he died at 57 of cancer too. You could have literally ate off my families floors!

    I use white vinegar, peroxide, baking soda, and the smallest amount of bleach, no ammonia at all.

    We wracked our brains trying to think what could have caused my whole family who were pass belief with the cleaness to die so young and of cancer at that. Chemicals, all chemicals!

    It was me that said you can spray your veggies, and also your meat with peroxide to kill bacteria, you spray it, then rinse it well.

    You would be shocked if you spray any piece of meat with peroxide and watch it foam up from the bacteria! Shocking to say the least!

    Shalom, Shirl


    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2003]
  4. 2BPainfree

    2BPainfree New Member

    is also used in our drinking water. Also the protocol used for emergency purification for drinking water (few tsp per gallon...don't recall the exact measurment)

    Peroxide beleive it or not, is also listed as a hazardous substance on our hospital's safety Data sheet...along with a host of other substances that are commonly used as topical treatments for wounds ect...benzocain, some adhesive sprays, Betadine (used all the time for surgery prep), Dakins solution (bleach-based) bunch more, but I can't remember off hand.

    Scary.

    Susan B.
  5. ssMarilyn

    ssMarilyn New Member

    If you live in the country and have a sistern, which is a storage tank for well water, you dump bleach in it, suppposedly to kill the bacteria. Yes...you drink that water.

    I used to think hydrogen peroxide fizzed up because of germs too, but it doesn't. I found this out some time ago in a magazine article:

    Question:

    Why does hydrogen peroxide foam when you put it on a cut? And why doesn't it foam in the bottle or when I put it on my skin?

    Answer:

    Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2 ) is something you can buy at the drug store. What you are buying is a 3-percent solution, meaning the bottle contains 97-percent water and 3-percent hydrogen peroxide. Most people use it as an antiseptic. It turns out that it is not very good as an antiseptic, but it is not bad for washing cuts and scrapes and the foaming looks cool.

    The reason why it foams is because blood and cells contain an enzyme called catalase. Since a cut or scrape contains both blood and damaged cells, there is lots of catalase floating around.

    When the catalase comes in contact with hydrogen peroxide, it turns the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) into water (H2O) and oxygen gas (O2).

    H2O2 --> H2O + O2

    Catalase does this extremely efficiently -- up to 200,000 reactions per second . The bubbles you see in the foam are pure oxygen bubbles being created by the catalase. Try putting a little hydrogen peroxide on a cut potato and it will do the same thing for the same reason -- catalase in the damaged potato cells reacts with the hydrogen peroxide.

    Hydrogen peroxide does not foam in the bottle or on your skin because there is no catalase to help the reaction to occur.

    Sorry to rain on your parade - you hydrogen peroxide worshipers!

    Marilyn :)
  6. joannie1

    joannie1 New Member

    This is really something to think about. i never knew all this about bleach. I have always been a cleaner aholic like my Mom. I too bleach my clothes every time...

    Another thing that may be of a surprise to most is Restruants often times use this as their sanitizer. Sorry... My sister owns her own and the health inspector actually told her to do so for sanitizing the dishes.
    Take care.
    Joannie
  7. kadywill

    kadywill New Member

    bleach EVERYTHING and I always have! I am well-known for it! Wouldn't that just be a ball-breaker to think I've done this to myself while keeping a spotless home. As I sit here, covered in hives, my Pooh sweatshirt smells of Clorox as do the sheets I have in the washer right now.......hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Kady
  8. ggks

    ggks New Member

    So, what should we be using instead of bleach to make our clothes white and all the other things that clorox does?
  9. kadywill

    kadywill New Member

    I LOVE the way Clorox makes everything SO clean. One day I found that I could buy this industrial strength kind. I poured some in the toilet to soak for awhile. Well, I sat down to pee later without flushing first and the toilet paper I used just disintegrated into nothing once it hit the water and my bottom was red and irritated from the fumes for about two weeks. Try explaining that to your doctor!
    Love,
    Kady
  10. sofy

    sofy New Member

    I am the first to agree that the less chemicals used the better. The average household is one of the biggest sources of enviromental contamination. Its criminal what we do in the pursuit of perfect green grass and the pursuit of a little ant. So far I have read a lot of anecdotal finger pointing at Clorox. It may well be true but I doubt the answer is that simple. Is this just guessing or is their any info leading you to believe Clorox is the biggest bad boy on the block?
  11. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I read an article about how bad chlorine is for us. It's in our tap water and pools. It's also, by the way, in Splenda sugar substitute.

    I have a water filter on my faucet with two filters and an ultraviolet light to kill pathogens. It gets filtered again when it goes into the fridge. My ice cubest taste soooo good and so does the water from the fridge.

    Love, Mikie
  12. sofy

    sofy New Member

    Alcohol is a chemical killer and anything that is designed to kill should be used with the utmost caution. Years ago I had tropical fish. If you used tap water and dropped fish in it you took a chance of killing them. If you let it sit for 24hrs (ithink) then the chloring was suppose to have dissipated and was safte for the fish. If you take that then just putting drinking water in a pitcher or jug and letting it sit for 24 hrs should rid it of the chlorine. who knows
    Dentists regularly use clorox for certain procedures. Unlike your treatment most patients dont know but not using the clorox would cause more infection problems so its always a toss.
  13. Sky

    Sky New Member

    So what am I supposed to do about aqua therapy in the pool 5 times a week?

  14. joannie1

    joannie1 New Member

    Oh good golly you poor thing!! I am sorry I but I laughed so hard at the toidy thing. You poor thing. I hope everything is well now. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your quite a gal my friend, we all just love ya. :)
    Joannie
  15. allhart

    allhart New Member

    im allergic to it ,i get a migrian sinus infections rashes just from the smell.but i have to admit i was my favriot thing to clean with,