CHLORINE HOTTUBS/SWIMMINGPOOLS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Apr 25, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

What do you guys think about chlorine in swimming pools and hottubs.A lot of us have chemical sesitivity and was wondering if the chemicals in a hottub or pool could aggrivate or make symptoms worse. Hottubs are very soothing, but some times the chemicals in them seem like they are too strong. Has anybody had this problem or thought about it?

Kriket
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

thanks for the info. It would be nice if public places could switch to this too. Sounds like it's a lot safer.

Kriket
  3. cookstove

cookstove New Member

Thanks for your response. I am allergic (rash) from chlorine and the bromine makes my allergies worse. I am just getting ready to go to a jucuzzi or hot tub at home and have been wondering what to use.

The perfect question and the perfect response.
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

No pools, hottubs for me if they are treated with chlorine. I'm allergig to it.

I can almost tell you if a pool or hottub is using chlorine just by being in the general area of either of the 2, breathing becomes difficult and if I don't move far enough away from it my throat starts to swell making breathing even harder.

Jake
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

with chlorine, except it does ruin my bathing suits. However, I am allergic to Bromine. I used to swim in a pool and suddenly I was itching like crazy. I went to my dermatologist who said I had eczema and prescribed some cream. It helped some, but the days I swam I itched more. I finally realized it had to be the pool. I asked and found out they used Bromine. I have swam in pools all my life so have to assume it was always chlorine or maybe I have now developed an allergy to the Bromine.

I am now swimming in a pool with chlorine and doing fine.

Ellen
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I used to love hot tubs years ago before I developed multiple allergies; one involving chlorine.

Now I cannot even stay in filtered "hot" water long, as it will flare me.

And chlorine is a chemical.......so that, along with all others are bad for us, regardless if you're allergic or not.

LIGHT************carole
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

We use a product called SoftSwim in our pool in the summertime. It has no chlorine, and no odor, and we never have a bacteria or algae problem with it.

We are in the Northeast (New England) so maybe it goes by another name in other parts of the country. I don't know the chemical composition of it but it sure beats chlorine any day!

Michelle
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

A jacuzzi tub may be the best way to go. You could just fill fresh water everyday and not worry so much about the chlorine or chemical levels being so high. Just a thought. Thanks to everyone for comenting on this subject. Everyone is always so helpful.

Kriket
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I think everyone's body is different, I have no trouble with chlorine and hot tubs and swimming are GREAT for me!

I'd suggest trying it out and just sticking with you own intution about what's best for you. :)