chlorine warning to mums

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by flossyfudleFran, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hi all,

i though id post this piece from my newspaper,dated tuesday 3rd 2008.

...CHLORINE WARNING TO MUMS...

Pregnant women who drink tap water disnefected with chlorine,run a higher risk of having children with heart problems,a cleft palate or brain defects,says a new study.

researchers looking at 400,000 infants born between 2001 and 2003 in taiwan,where levels of chlorine in the water are simular to the uk.

the danger comes from chemical by products known as trihalomethanes,formed when chlorine reacts with natural substances in water.

birmingham university,which did the study,said areas with high levels of chlorine included,south west england,yorkshire and south staffordshire.

i live in derbyshire

kind regards,fran
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm in the U.S., but our water is very chlorinated, if one goes by the smell. It really turns my stomach. I put filters on our showers, and that has helped in that regard.

For the last several months I've been trying to solve our drinking water problem -- even with a filter at the tap (we can't afford a whole-house filter right now, or bottled water for all our drinking needs), it still smells bad.

So I went online and found a suggestion to cool the water after getting it from the (filtered) tap. This didn't really work well, so I tried putting it in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours -- just until it forms an ice crust on the top. Then I put the top on and put it in the refrigerator for drinking.

This has REALLY improved the taste of the water A LOT. Supposedly when it's cooled, the lower the temperature, the chlorine off-gasses out of the water. I don't know if it does anything for the trihalomethanes, but at least my stomach doesn't turn when I drink our water anymore.