CHOCOLATE AND BLOOD CLOTTING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Nov 15, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

CHICAGO, IL, United States (UPI) -- A study presented at a meeting of the American Heart Association in Chicago says dark chocolate may help prevent heart attacks and strokes.

The study, presented by lead author Diane Becker, was designed to test the effectiveness of aspirin therapy and subjects were told to give up chocolate, among other foods, The Baltimore Sun reported Wednesday.

However, rather than throw out results from subjects who cheated on their diets, Becker and her team analyzed data from the 139 patients who cheated -- out of a total 1,200 subjects -- and found that the clotting time for participants who consumed chocolate was significantly slower than those who followed the dietary rules. Becker said the platelet activity slowed further for those who consumed larger amounts of chocolate.

There was a 'major difference between those who ate chocolate and those who didn`t,' she said.

'Increasing the time it takes for clots to form in diseased vessels is highly effective in reducing myocardial infarction (heart attacks) and cardiac death,' Becker said.

2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Yet another reason to eat chocolate! It's supposed to be a better anti-oxidant than green tea too. I always knew it was a 'food group' ;-)

Gretchen
  3. huska

huska New Member

I LOVE CHOCOLATE !!! DIDN'T THEY SAY THAT YOU CAN LOOSE WEIGHT EATING CHOCOLATE? BOTH THINGS TOGETHER WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

but interestingly there was a news release that said milk chocolate can help one to think and concentrate better...

so.......... ALL chocolate is good?

The more the merrier!

;-))

Victoria

5. victoria

victoria New Member

I love mole sauce, really spicy or not. I guess that means I'm a REAL chocoholic? Interesting that its scientific name uses theobromine first, as that's the chemical that makes us feel so good... well besides the sugar in the sweet chocolate!

Anyway, for those who might find this interesting, here's some chocolate history
    ---------------

Chocolate - Food of the Gods

The scientific name for the cacao tree is Theobroma cacao -'food of the gods.' The cacao tree is strictly a tropical plant thriving only in hot, rainy climates. Thus, its cultivation is confined to the lands not more than 20 degrees north and south of the equator.

Archeologists tell us the Olmecs, the oldest civilization of the Americas (1500-400 BC), were probably the first users of cacao, followed by other Mesoamerican (Central American) peoples like the Mayans (600 BC) and then the Aztecs (400 AD).

For these civilizations, cacao was a symbol of abundance. It was used in religious rituals dedicated to Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec god responsible for bringing the cocoa tree to man, to Chak ek Chuah, the Mayan patron saint of cocoa and as an offering at the funerals of noblemen. It was also important as a currency and has been used as such, in certain parts of South America, right up to the beginning of the 20th century.

Originally consumed in the form of a drink, they crushed the cacao beans, mixed them with water and added spices, chilies and herbs. Christopher Columbus was the first European to taste the drink and quickly spit out the bitter concoction. The Aztec emperor Montezuma offered it to Hernando Cortes who then brought it back to Spain in 1528. The Spanish court soon fell under the spell of this exotic elixir and adapted it to their taste, adding cane sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.

One final note: Montezuma, believing in its aphrodisiac properties, became renowned for the vast quantities of foaming 'xocolatl' he used to drink before visiting his harem of wives. So, you might want to get your sweetie a box of chocolate for Valentine's Day, if you know what I mean. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

you are absolutely right!

... I'll have to go back and find that site - I may have inadvertently miscopied it... or they goofed it up. . . so taking it off. I think its only claim to authenticity is that some 'gourmet cook' in Mexico made it up???

BUT there really is chocolate in mole sauce...

and while I'm back on the subject of chocolate, I did meet someone who ate chocolate unsweetened right out of the package from the baking section... I cannot even do that!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

LBS -- perhaps in the grocery store they have it in mild and hot versions? I've never actually looked, but more of the stores, at least around here, have expanded their mexican and other 'specialty' food sections... or try a Hispanic market?

Just a thought, altho it's probably not as good as what you get when it is fresh.

best,
    Victoria

8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

HI! Just last nite I went to my fav. local mexican restaurant and ordered what I always order- their special beef burrito covered in mole sauce!! I love it so much that I get cravings for it! I am totally obsessed with wanting to learn how to make it at home. I was grilling the waiter about the ingredients etc!
    Unfortunately he didn't know how they make it, so I told him I would sneak into the kitchen and spy on the chefs!
    If course I have seen many recipies for mole on line, but I want THAT particular mole. And then they use this special cheese unlike anything I ve ever tasted -- but that is another story!

BIgmama2
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Nope, thankfully, it is NOT made with (animal) moles....

We are just especially language challenged here as there's no way (that I know of) to put an accent over a letter;

it is spelled with the accent mark over the 'e' and the 'e' is pronounced 'aye'..... think of saying the spanish exclamation Ole like the matadors do: 'o-laye', so it's 'moe-laye'

THE secret ingredients: chocolate with chiles, no sugar!

Big Mama, sounds yummy!!!!

all the best,
    Victoria

10. shell

shell New Member

I would of been in the I can't throw out my chocolate group. Everyday is really the best for getting enough chocolate!!