CHOCOLATE CFIDS... new study... looking for participants in UK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Dec 17, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Hmmm sometimes I wished I lived in the UK... interesting story below. Now, if we could just do away tho with the deleterious effects of sugar on those of us who are hypoglycemic or diabetic or have candida...

CHOCOLATE'S GOOD FOR YOU - IT'S OFFICIAL 16 December 2006

It is the news anyone with a sweet tooth has been waiting for - chocolate is officially good for you.

Doctors at Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust have found eating small bars of dark chocolate every day helps stop symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The illness, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), leaves sufferers with debilitating fatigue and neurological problems.

People taking part in a study at Hull Royal Infirmary found they felt better after eating specially formulated dark chocolate each day for eight weeks.

However, only chocolate made with 85 per cent cocoa was found to have health benefits.

Professor Steve Atkin, consultant endocrinologist, conducted the study.

He said: "No one has examined the effects of chocolate on CFS before, so this is a very exciting result for us.

"The participants took 45g of specially formulated chocolate high in polyphenols for eight weeks. They then had a two-week period of rest before taking a placebo chocolate, low in polyphenols, for another eight weeks.

"After the first period they reported feeling less fatigue and once they moved to the placebo chocolate they began feeling more fatigue again.

"They didn't experience any significant weight gain either, which is an extra positive."

Chocolate contains a complex mixture of chemicals called polyphenols, which are also reported to reduce the risk of death from coronary heart disease, cancer and strokes.

Chocolate also increases serotonin, which regulates mood and sleep.

Tracy Denholm, 39, of Beckside Close, west Hull, has suffered from CFS for more than 10 years.

She said: "I have really bad attacks, where I cannot see and I cannot use my body properly, like a newborn baby.

"My husband Ian is my carer and, because I cannot guarantee how well I am going to feel, I cannot work."

"I am quite cynical, but it did work and I felt much more alert. I had more energy and didn't have any attacks."

The research was funded by the Diabetes Endowment Fund charity, for which Professor Atkin is asking for donations.

The trust is now looking for people with type two diabetes, linked to age or weight, or polycystic ovary syndrome, where many cysts grow on a woman's ovaries, to see if chocolate helps.

Professor Atkin said: "I have a large amount of chocolate in the department waiting to be eaten."

Anyone who is interested, or wants to donate to the fund, should call Professor Atkin's research team on (01482) 675387

2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

LOL!

This is so great!!!

I've been doing this for years. Now I have to go make sure I'm eating the right kind of chocolate.

There are many sugar-free brands of chocolate for people avoiding sugar. Check Kat James' website for companies that make it.

Thank you for posting this!

"A large amount of chocolate waiting to be eaten"! lol

Love, Forebearance
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I hope this helped to contribute to your compilation of research and you have posted this VERY necessary live-saving and helpful research on your website... ;)

Forebearance - I looked up the chocolate... but couldn't see where they sell it in bars here in USA at least, it seems; all I came up with was chocolatiers who use that chocolate in their candy... do you know if it's available in bars here? Didn't see any sites for it...

best,
    Victoria

4. victoria

victoria New Member

ummmm that I like them all?

Nope, Fight, you got me, what is it?

For chocolate, I always figured it was the theobromine in it that made me feel good as it has been identified as a 'feel good' chemical... plus a little sugar high too... in fact someone put it in their diet pill; heck I'd take it all by itself if it made me feel as good as chocolate...

So, I am eagerly awaiting to know - what DO they have in common?
    Victoria

5. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks - I think I've had Dagoba's before, altho I guess it's not quite the 85% cocoa... does that mean I have to eat MORE of it :)

I'll have to look for Lindt's too... one of our local HF stores usually has a good selection altho cannot always be counted on to always carry a brand... depends on its popularity.

6. hob

hob New Member

I'll have to get some 85%cocoa chocolate I love the stuff!
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

so does this mean that instead of the guai protocol, maybe there should be a cocoa protocol, ya think? Cinnamon and garlic would have to be added...

8. Catseye

Catseye Member

I can't eat anything tasty. But now it looks like I can safely try a dark chocolate and cinnamon fondue with broccoli, garlic and hot peppers to dip in it! My diet is so dull I'll willing to bet it will taste good to me.

I guess it means no Godiva chocolate. I once ordered a $60 heart-shaped box of valentine's day candies from their website. I ordered it the day after valentine's day for myself and got it for $29. Ahhh, the good ole' days when I could indulge!

happy xmas!

karen
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

this post has degenerated into a party... no surprise, we are starved for feeling good, no?!

Fight, you'll be happy to know that none of those foods are contraindicated on the MP in essence, altho they recommend a low sugar/refined carb diet as does everybody else mostly in this world...

Hmmm, karen and snog and everybody else, I'll bet ALL the chocolatiers of the world are taking note of all the evidence coming in about chocolate.... I am sure they'll be modifying to 'allow' us to indulge in Tollhouse or Godiva or whatever brand - except the cheapest of course - hehehe!

all the best chocolate to y'all!
    Victoria

10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Chocolate makes me worse when I have an episode of CFS. I later read that its high arginine content encourages herpes viruses to grow. Since I have viral CFS, I do much better avoiding chocolate altogether, although I do love it.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

CherylSue
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, Victoria,

Kat James' website is annoying these days, it turns out. I couldn't find any info there. Here is what she suggests in her book:

Good regular chocolate:
    Green and Black's
    Taste Therapy (chocolate for the soul)

Good sugar free chocolate:
    Carbolite chocolate
    Pure De-Lite

I can't list website links here, but hopefully you can find them online.

I just had some Dagoba Eclipse today, and it has so much cacao and so little sugar that it tasts almost medicinal. But that's okay! It's still better tasting than most supplements.

I hope that helps!
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, Dancin' fingers,

Okay, I'll try the Prima Materia, if I can find it!

I love the xocolatl bars! :)

Forebearance
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

if raw chocolate would be any better for people?

... it is available for raw foodistsas on their sites - anybody try it??

Victoria

14. victoria

victoria New Member

If you google 'raw chocolate' you will come up with links for it...

Nope, different Dr. Atkins... the "diet Dr. Atkins" fell and hit his head several years ago and died. He was an American anyway.

best,
    Victoria
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

gave us some hershey's kisses with cherry something in it - they were good, not sure if it's dark chocolate, but not as sweet as the usual choc. covered cherries...

TOO many good things at Christmas LOLOL!
    Vic.
  16. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Does it have high polyphenols? 45g of chocolate that was 85% cocoa would have 38.25g of cocoa. The cocoa is fat free and you could use Stevia sweeten it instead of sugar. I wonder if I could make a healthful chocolate candy using cocoa, coconut oil, and Stevia? Maybe I will give it a try.

P.S. The cinnamon bread and hot chocolate sound terrific, but I’m not sure how well the garlic bread would go.
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

I've never tried that, altho I love coffee and chocolate and have used cocoa and stevia with coffee - it's not quite as good but close.

Let us know what you come up with? -or not, as the case may be!

Thanks,
    Victoria