Chocolate Chip Cookies LOL

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dahopper, Mar 11, 2007.

1. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Hello everyone....I'm not on the Chit Chat Board much but need a favor of you all. My son is in Iraq and wants me to make him some homemade choc. chip cookies or any other kind that would be from scratch. I have not baked in so many years due to health reason. I need some good fool proof recipes that will make this task easier. All the help I can get here will be greatly appriciated !! I have been in a month long flare :-( Making cookies is something I do not feel like doing at the moment but will. Also any suggestions on how to pack them to stay fresh in the travel period ? He said it would take over a week for them to get to him.
    Hugs, Love Debbie
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Heres the one i use, It's pretty good!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c Butter flavor crisco (or Regular crisco)
    1cup Brown sugar
    1cup white sugar
    2 tsp Vanilla
    mix this very well in a large bowl
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    2-3/4 c flour
    mix all very well
    stir in 12 oz bag choc/chips
    Drop by TBS on cookie sheet (Buttered) Bake at 375 degrees for 11-12 minutes,,,,,,,,,,,,Take cookie sheet out of oven and place on a cutting board and let them cool off before removeing them from the pan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Hope this Helps! Packageing them might be a trick!lol Maybe put them in individual zip lock sandwich bags and use packing peanuts (Alot),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Luck,,,,,,,,,And God Bless your son and your Family!,,,,,,,,,,Sisland
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

used to ship cookies in a round metal tin. She put in a slice of bread; said it helped keep them fresh.
  4. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Both of these recipes sound so yummy !!!! Maybe it will be fun after all making them. My son said Mom, I like them chewy so he does not like them crispy. I will be making me a grocery list for the things I need. So far I plan on trying both these recipes....I know he will have friends to share them with. Thank You Sisland and Diane!!
    Also my son Greg said others received cookies from home and they were shrink wrapped ???? Thats got me how you would do that. I have one of these machines but never thought about doing cookies. What do you think ? Hum !
    Hugs, Debbie
  5. I really like the recipe on the Nestles chocolate chip bag. How long has your son been there, I sure hope he stays safe.
    I haven't a clue how to send them , shrink wrapped?
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

The zip lock freezer bags are heavier. I'd pack them in the bags and use a straw to remove excess air. That way, I would think they would stay fresher longer.

For packing, I'd either use bubble wrap OR use more zip lock freezer bags filled with some air and then zipped shut.

I used to do this when I would send packages to my son at college.

I wouldn't use popcorn because that is a long way, and you don't want to attract insects and rodents to your box.

I'd use the mini M&Ms that can be found in bags right next to the regular chocolate chips. WHY? Because the chocolate is CONTAINED within the M&M, and you are sending the cookies to a HOT place.

You use the same recipes, just use the mini M&Ms instead of the plain chocolate chips.

I'd probably also make Choc oat chip cookies too. I can find the recipe if you are interested. It is a hybrid of oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Another one that usually packs well are peanut butter cookies. I use the extra chunky peanut butter when I'd make these.[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2007]
  7. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Joyfully....You are right about the M&M's, good idea. Thank You for all the tips.
    Also if you do come across your other recipe I sure would like to have it. I will just try hard to make a few different kinds. I am feeling really lousy....I sure hope things start to turn around soon.

Thank You Rockgor...a slice a bread in tin cans is a good idea too. Never thought of that one.

Hi Fibrobutterfly, my son has only been gone for around 2 months and yes we pray he will stay safe, actually he went to Iraq to work for the goverment so he is in a safer area. He will be back home in 6 months.
    I have used the recipe on the nestle package and it really is pretty good.

Hugs, Love Debbie
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Here is a recipe for a really quick cookie, and there is no baking to it! However, if the weather is really hot over in Iraq now, they may end up soft, even if packed well in a tin.

Ingredients "A":

2 cups white sugar
    1 stick margarine or butter, cut in slices
    3 Tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa
    1 small can Carnation canned milk
    dash of salt
    12 large-size marshmallows

Ingredients "B":

1 teaspoon Vanilla extract*
    1 cup peanut butter (smooth)
    3/4 to 1 cup shredded coconut
    2-3/4 to 3 cups quick oats

*Note: if using immitation vanilla flavoring,
    use 2 teaspoons

Combine Ingredients "A" in a large saucepan.
    Bring it to a rolling boil, very slowly, stirring
    occasionally. Allow to boil for 2-3 minutes,
    stirring constantly. Take off heat.

Have Ingredients "B" ready to add immediately
    after above ingredients have boiled. Add in
    order listed, stirring well after each ingredient
    is added.

Stir well and drop on wax paper in whatever
    size cookie you desire. Let cool and become

(NOTE: I never measure my peanut butter, I
    always get a big spoon and just get two big
    "gobs" out of the jar--what looks like it is about
    a cup!)

Just eliminate the cocoa and the coconut. By eliminating the coconut, you will probably need the full 3 cups of oats.

Use brown sugar instead of white sugar, eliminate the cocoa and coconut, and in Ingredients B,add 1/2 cup caramel chips and 3/4 cup pecan pieces (or toffee bits) and eliminate the peanut butter.

Powdered Sugar
    3-3/4 cups sugar
    1-1/2 cups light Karo syrup
    1 cup water
    3/4 to 1 teaspoon Cinnamon flavored Oil (more oil makes it hotter)
    Red Food Coloring (to desired color)

Place heavy-duty aluminum foil on a 18" x 24" cookie sheet ("jellyroll pan").

Sprinkle foil with powdered sugar.

Mix next three ingredients in large heavy-duty saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until temperature reaches 310 degrees or until drops of syrup form hard and brittle threads in cold water. Remove from heat.

Stir in flavoring and food coloring. Cool. Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired. Break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Makes 2-1/2 pounds.

(Note: Using 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil is too hot for me--but make to individual taste.)

ALSO, you can make this hard candy with any type of flavoring that you have, and then use appropriate food coloring. I have used watermelon flavor with green food coloring, cherry flavoring with red coloring, and others.
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I haven't baked in years, handed that over to my daughter when she was about 10 years old. But...

I get my mail through the military and I can only tell you that if you use zip lock bags, you'll have to put them in something sturdy so the cookies aren't crushed when they get to your son.

I'd dig out some old Christmas type tins and send the cookies in them.

My sister sends me cookies (in Germany) and I've got to tell ya that although she uses tins alone, the cookies are mixed, often crushed and most all are broken.

I think I'd try to find something useful to send them in, maybe layer them in single layers in zip lock bags, and put paper towels for padding in between. That way they could use the napkins or paper towels while they're eating.

So even though they're 'only' cookies, I know how much they all appreciate getting them in the mail from home so you want to send them so they get there intact.

You also might want to hurry too, the weather in the Middle East heats up really quicly and it won't be long before temps are over 100 degrees.

Nancy B
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2007]
  10. dahopper

dahopper New Member

How sweet are you guys !!!Thank You all for all the good tips. I am fixing to print this out and go to the store and buy what I need. My son Greg called me this morning and said hey Mom....My friend received cookies today from home. Sigh....I told him I was working on this so got to get movin....LOL

Livnlife (Oh how I love this username!!) LOL Thank You so very much for going thru all this trouble to help me. You are just so sweet and sounds like you will be doing some baking soon too to send over. Gosh thats the least we can do....right ??

Jlh boy does these cookies ever sound yummy !!! Thank you for all the info on the different ways to make them. The Peanut Butter no bakes sound so yummy too !!! I can feel some weight already going to my body. Of course I will have to sample them...Right ?

Hi your username too. Dito, hugs to you too !! I know the clock is ticking for the weather to really heat up there. I am buying zip locks today. I am on a mission and I know how it must make them feel to receive something special from home....even more when its from Mom. Right ?

Diane great info thanks for that web site it will come in handy and Thanks for all the help. I am for sure going to make the Double Choc. Chip Cokkies. I may use the M7M's though instead of the chips like Joyfully suggested.

Dncnfngrs....I will bring you a cookie if you would like one Thursday.....Do You ??? Thanks for the Oil info, good idea. And Brownies sound good to send too like you said and the bar/pan cookies.

Well I guess I better run, I have my work cut out for me. Thank God today seems to be a better day. Hugs, Love Debbie

11. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Well I guess now we will not be there until 3:00 o'clock for my hubby's IV and my appointment was changed to 3:30 I will be seeing a different doctor. Maybe we will get there early and you will still be there. :-( Anyway wanted to let you know what was going on. I talked with them there this morning and things did get changed up. Let me know what you think !! Hugs, Debbie
  12. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Got cookies and brownies made yesterday and shipped them today. Boy am I glad that is done (for awhile) LOL
    Thanks for all the help ! Hugs, Debbie
  13. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I understand about the traffic !!! We hate getting out of there late and having to try to get back on 75 going north is a nightmare !!! I will try real hard to get my husband to the clinic early...even if I have him let me off and come back when he needs to. He has a few errands to run in that area tommorow anyway so that might work. We will just have to see how our day goes. If it work out it works out and if not we will try for next week. I believe Mark's IV is Scheduled for 1:15 next Thursday.

I have been seeing Dr. Stevens since starting with the clinic back in Aug. of last year and I love him he is so sweet !! But for some reason I am going backwards again and someone suggested to me to see Spurloc that he was really good in the areas I have poblems and maybe he will have some input to my health plan. What do you think ?? I wish I could talk to you better about this. I am very nervous about hurting Stevens feelings. Like I said he is so sweet and I really like him. Also please don't mention this tomorrow to anyone we just need to see how it all works out. :-(

As for the hand warmers Yea I'll send them to Greg...It would be better then tossing them. Thank you so much for thinking of him.

Hopefully we can meet tomorrow. We will keep our fingers crossed. Take care !! Hugs, Love Debbie
  14. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Well I just Talked to the clinic again this morning and I will be staying with my old appointment time now and will see Stevens tomorrow to go over blood work he ordered. BJ had tried to call me last night and we were gone so found out this morning after they all talked about the situation I should stay put and see what is said about my blood work and what his suggestions are to help me. So maybe now we will get to meet. Wow !!! All this has made me tired !! LOL
  15. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am so stressed....I thought that my appointment time with Dr. Stevens was earlier than BJ told me. I even called her again about a hour ago. I guess I am just so confused because they had to reschedule me with him because he was out sick last week. But BJ said Marks IV is at 3:00 and my dotors appt. is at 3:30. I sure wish I could find where Crystal wrote it down for me last week because I could swear it was eariler. But with all the confustion with maybe switching doctors then not switching doctors has me all messed up. But I guess we will be there the times BJ said.

I don't drink and I can't drink but could I have a glass of wine please ?? "Santa Margherita" Pinot Grigio will do for me !!

Maybe next week we can meet. I'm sorry !!!
    Hugs, Debbie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]