Chocolate craving, Fibro or meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tammy21, Apr 25, 2006.

1. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

I am on Effexor-XR for the FM.I just crave for a fix of chocolate every day. has that got to do with the drug or the FM or just me? wondering if any one else takes the same drug and has cravings for choc. and no I am not pregnant if you were wondering. also before I went on the drug I didnt have this urge to want it all the time.
    Thanks.
    Take Care
    Tammy
  2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hello Tammy!

Though I'm not on Effexor-XR, I am on Paxil and do crave chocolate in the worst way.

My own instinctive feeling is that it might have something to do with the serotonin levels in our brains.

Janice

3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

But I crave chocolate all the time never did before all this.Matter fact never ate sweets now I cant stay away.

Maybe thats why I have gained 60lbs.

Sue
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I don't need an excuse!! Just give me the chocolate and no one gets hurt!!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

As soon as my doctor has me start on LOTS of magnesium, all my choc. cravings went away. Is it a coincidence?? I think not. I still eat a little bit of organic dark choc. and it doesn't bother my fm.

skierchik
  6. noodle11

noodle11 New Member

Wow, I thought it was just me. I terribly crave chocolate and sweets. I'm taking a magnesium supplement that is 225 mg. How much are you taking that has stopped your cravings?
  7. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

How much mag has the doctor put you on?
    Thankyou everyone for you interesting replies. I started taking mag 5 days ago. the weight is slowly going on with the choc eating and also Diabetes runs in the family which I am concerned about.
    Tammy
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

He has specifically put me on "chelated" magnesium. I buy Solgar brand. He told me that I can't take too much but I take around 1600mg and I weigh about 130lbs. Sounds like a lot but it's never been too much. I never crave choc. anymore, but I also have removed most all sweets from my diet except a tiny bit of organic dark choc. which I don't eat everyday if I don't remember to. Dark choc. has a tremendous amout of antioxidants, more than blueberries.

It took about 3-4 weeks until the cravings were gone. This was a nice "bonus". Increase your mag. slowly. Don't start out with 1600mg. Start with 800mg. If this is ok for a week or two then take another 2-400mg for another week or two until you are at an amount that feels good. Make sure you're taking some selenium too. All of us need this too. Brazil nuts are a good souce of selenium. You can eat about 8 per day. Or get a supplement. There are many bad ones out there. I would recommend a food based one like Ecological Formulas. It's made from mustard greens, another good source of selenium.

Let us know how the cravings go.

skierchik
  9. marilynb

marilynb New Member

My chocolate cravings are incredible! I can go through a whole bag of the milky way caramels in less than 2 days!
    I know i am low on Mag but have trouble taking pills.
    Does anyone know of another form magnesium, other than chocolate? I am trying to cut down because I have gained a few pounds.

Marilyn
  10. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

yes, there are soluble forms of magnesium. i just bought some called "Calm". you mix it with hot water and it fizzes. then you drink it. i don't like the taste, but a friend with fibro swears by it. h-girl
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I eat sugar free cholates or caramel-they soothe my ctaving just fine.Linda
  12. friskybiskits

friskybiskits New Member

I'm not a chocolate or sweets person and have from time to time had crazy chocolate cravings when on this med or that.

Something I discovered that I use as a chocolate fix to avoid the pounds: Super chocolately homemade hot chocolate!

I'll nuke 2 cups of nonfat milk in the microwave (you can add a thick slice of fresh peeled ginger root if you want something a little exotic, just remember to pull it out after heating). Meanwhile, I'll mix 2 heaping spoonfuls of Hershey's cocoa powder with about 5 packets of Splenda. (Equal or Aspartame makes me looney, like caffiene with msg in it so I avoid it.) I mix the powder with a little super hot water to make a gooey paste, then thin it out after I've stirred or whisked the lumps out. Then add it to the heated milk, after licking the spoon.

I'm sure it's not great to load up on chocolate of any kind, but at least this way you get nonfat milk and no sugar, and you'd be surprised at how chocolately that powdered stuff tastes. Plus, it fills you up and you're less likely to eat other stuff too.

If you get the cravings in the morning, you can always go half coffee and half milk. Makes a yummy mocha latte.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2006]
  13. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

Yes these cravings for choc basicly run your day for you thinking about it most of the time. what I also should do is go for a small walk to try and take my mind off it but I cant be bothered lately. I have increased my magnesium today so fingers crossed.

Desertsage- that is really interesting that you and your daughter have been on the same drug and you also crave for choc to.

friskybiskits- that is a good idea. is the splenda another form of sugar. I am not sure if I have seen that in New Zealand.

Take care everyone.
    Tammy