Choking easily...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spatialbean, Jun 10, 2003.

1. spatialbean

spatialbean New Member

I have noticed over the last few years that I choke much more often on pretty much anything edible...spit, water, food. Someone mentioned that swallowing problems are part of fibro.

Anyone out there choke a lot too?

My mom, as she got older, choked every single time she drank anything and most of the time when she ate.

Love,
    Claudia
  2. Godslove

Godslove New Member

I also choke on just about anything at any given time. Sometimes I know ahead of time because my throat feels as though it tightens up and I can't swallow correctly. Other times it catches me by surprise.

I don't know if it is FM related but my mother has also had this problem for some time due to Parkinson's. She is now so progressed that she can only have thickened fluids and pureed food. Parkinson's can affect any muscle(s)..even in the neck. It can make the muscles rigid at times. Pretty scary!

She had a swallow test done last month and it showed that she has a "flap" that allows food and fluids to "go down the wrong tube". This can lead to pneumonia if not carefully monitored. You may want to have this checked.

Blessings of Health,
    Wanda