Cholesterol went from 297 to 207 in five months (no drugs)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi everyone - I just wanted to let you know how I lowered my cholesterol amazingly in five months without drugs.

My figures were as follows:

Cholesterol - went from 297 to 207
    Triglycerides - from 224 to 78
    HDL - from 58 to 54
    LDL - from 194 to 137

So my cholesterol is still a little high but so much better. Triglycerides are within the normal range and my LDL is still high but much improved as well. My doctor and I were both very much impressed.

Here's what I did:

Cut way back on sugar - the main sugar I'd been eating was raisins, too much, so I just cut them out altogether. I still eat fruit, but in moderation.

Fish oil - increased from 2,000 mg. a day to 4,000 to 6,000 mg. a day

Ground flaxseed - two large tablespooons about 4 times a week (keep refrigerated or frozen to keep from going rancid). I grind my own flaxseeds in a coffee grinder

Pantethine - 2 softgels a day from Swanson Vitamins, 300 mg. each

And that's it - I was so relieved and surprised when I got the results. I knew they would be better than last time, but had no idea so much better. And all without drugs! (the best part)

2. spacee

spacee Member

I am very impressed (to say the least). What made you decide on this "protocol"? And may I ask the quantity of the raisins you were eating. Was it like a big box a day?

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, I'm very fortunate in my doctor. She asked me about my sugar intake when my triglycerides were so high. At first my mind went blank as I don't eat candy, ice cream, etc., but then I remembered raisins. I could easily eat a few large handfuls at night after dinner, or snack on them during the day. I didn't eat a big box a day but could eat a pound or more a week. So I cut that out.

My doctor also recommended 3,000 mg. of fish oil a day. I was doing about 2,000 mg. a day, and after reading about it and what a good source of omega 3s it was and how important they are, I upped it myself to 4,000 to 6,000 mg. a day.

My sister lowered her cholesterol using ground flaxseed, so that's where I got that idea.

I don't remember where I first heard about pantethine lowering cholesterol, but woofmom mentioned it several times on this board. I googled it, read about it, and it is suppsoed to be very good for lowering cholesterol so I added that in too.

Statin drugs scare me. There's no way I wanted to go near them.

I have no way of knowing what helped the most, but all of these things are good for me so I'm going to keep it up.

Also, I wasn't fasting when the 297 test was done, and that may have affected the results, causing my levels to be higher than if done when fasting. But still, they were quite high, and I'm just very pleased with how it came out. Actually, my levels are now lower than 5 years ago.

4. spacee

spacee Member

High cholesterol runs in our family. One of my sons had it at age 25. So I thank you for posting this info for us.

5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks for sharing that Mary! That was very interesting.

The soluble fiber I'm taking to detox mold poison is supposed to reduce cholesterol. I don't know if it's having that effect on me or not. I'll find out when I get my next annual round of blood tests.

My cholesterol isn't high, but it's higher than it used to be in my younger days.

Statins scare me, too. My dad takes them. I would never take them in a million years, If I had to take something supplemental for high cholesterol, I would take phytosterols, I think.

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2008]
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You're welcome! I am so glad we have the Internet and there's so much info out there about nutrition and health. We're no longer at the mercy of our doctors and drug companies.

Best wishes,

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

One more thing - I started eating cooked oat bran (I like it better than oatmeal) about twice a week, which probably helped a little too.

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your numbers sound good too. Too low cholesterol has been linked to depression and other mental problems. The brain has 25% of the body's cholesterol so obviously it's needed by our bodies.

It's like the people on extremely low fat diets - they're unhealthy. We need certain fats. but of course the right kind with proper balance between omega 3 and 6, which the typical American diet does not have.

The book sounds interesting - I may take a look sometime.

Take care-

9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks - I'm still amazed at how well it worked --

10. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

You have inspired me to get back to my flaxseed. I've been slacking off my regimen for a while but after reading your testimony of success I'm motivated to get back on track. Thanks for sharing!
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm really glad to hear that, Mary!
  12. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thank you for sharing and inspiring others.

Best wishes,
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I think the pantethine may have played a large part in the reduction, so want to urge people to look into it, as I don't think its effectiveness in lowering cholesterol is commonly known.