Cholestrol too high!! What diet do you use??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'm sure this subject has been covered many times on the board, but maybe someone can shed some light on how to get my cholesterol, and triglycerides under control.

I take 20mg of Lipitor each day. The nurse just called to tell me the results of my blood test. Everything is still too high even with being on medication.

I hate to diet, but I know I'd better do something.

What is the best way to eat to lower this stuff??!!

Thanks,

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Have they checked your thyroid? My cholesterol was high when my thyroid was low. When the medication got my thyroid normal, my cholesterol dropped significantly. Just a thought.

Sue
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

that prawns of all things are very high in cholesterol. Animal fats are high in cholesterol so red meats, cheeses, full-fat milk, butter, chocolate, lard, dripping etc should be avoided. Alcohol reduced although a little red wine is supposed to be good for breaking down fatty deposits in the arteries. For this reason red wine should be included if you can tolerate it.

I think what you should be eating is: lots of fruit, veggies, unadulterated wholegrains, porridge oats, fresh fish, turkey, chicken (white meats are good), eggs (in limitation for this one - soft-boiled though), salad, avocado and nuts (like walnuts, almonds, cashews) are good cos even though they are high-ish in fats it's the good fats that we need...you can add spices and herbs to liven things up a bit if your palate gets bored. Sugar should be limited though. Plenty of water is good. Oh, also try to cook with olive oil and incorporate garlic if you can stomach it...if you can't there are odor-free supps out there.

There are some supplements that can be taken to help keep cholesterol in check (thus avoiding medication which has its own unwanted side-effects).

I know exercise is encouraged to reduce cholesterol (swimming and walking esp seem to be advocated) but easier said than done if you have Fibro/ CFS.

This is all I know and I don't even have it. :) My b/f is older than me and his was 8.5 last time it was checked...which is phenomenally high. He has done a lot to help himself though and it's probably lower now. Apparently high cholesterol runs in his family and he was told that where this is the case the body adapts and can actually deal with it. This shouldn't make any one complacent though...he was still told to get it down as much as possible through a diet and exercise.

Did I mention stress reduction?

God bless. Hope this helps. Love Shelbo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  4. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

Tequila - well actually, the juice from the blue agave plant.

My Grandma and I were told this when we were in Arizona in 2003. Of course we had to give it a try - a shot of Tequila each night - for medicinal purposes only of course! LOL. Of course it's the juice of the plant before it's distilled into Tequila, but like my Grandma joked "After I've had a few "shots of the cure" I don't really care if it works or not!"

Tequila Plant May Help Shed Pounds, Lower Cholesterol
    Posted on: 09/26/2005

JALISCO, Mexico--The blue agave plant, which is distilled to make tequila, shows great potential for both weight loss and cholesterol reduction, according to scientists from the University of Guadalajara, which is located amid the tequila-making region of Mexico. While tequila itself is devoid of these specific health benefits, the juice extracted from blue agave contains fructans, including inulin. “Fructans reduce cholesterol and alter absorption of fat in the intestine--at least in animals,” said Jorge Segura Ortega, M.D., research leader.

~Kat

5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

I know exercise is important, but I've always said it's against my religion!!!

Had a salad for lunch. It was OK, but I sure burn out easy on "good" food. I am what you would call a junk food addict.

Thanks again.

Kinsie
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm on 80 mg. of Lipitor and my cholesterol was 283 last time it was checked.

I also was able to lower my cholesterol by using cinnamon. I usually take cinnamon capsules, about 1200 mg. a day. I may have to up that more when I get my cholesterol test results in January.

I eat a lot of fat free foods, but my endo said that it was my body making the cholesterol and that it wasn't what I was eating. It runs in my family to have high cholesterol.

Triglycerides you could control by decreasing the amount of fat in your diet.
    In January my triglycerides were 127, yet my cholesterol was 283. I'm trying to lose weight as I know that will help get cholesterol down too.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'll have to try the cinnamon. Good advice.

Kinsie
  8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed a few years back with high triglycerides and high cholesterol. They couldn't even get a reading for my triglycerides because it was above their testing range!

My doctor put me on Lipidil (tricor in the States) which brought the levels down but it still didn't make sense to me. I did not eat a high fat diet.

To make a long story short, my thyroid was out of whack. Took several months to convince my dr to do more indepth tests.

Ask your Dr about Tricor. It may help.

Eileen
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I take 40 mg Lipitor daily and I'm not very good about eating a low-fat diet, even though I try to watch my intake.

About a year ago, I started taking a supplement called "Super Omega Complex". It contains the Omega 3, 6, 9 and I can't remember what else. But it has really reduced my chlorestrol! My last test showed it at 172 which is extremely good for me!

I just take one capsule a day. There is no after taste etc.
    My mother's doc told her to take Fish Oil capsules to reduce her chlorestrol. He said to get the capsules that are encentric coated so that she wouldn't "burp up" any fish oil taste.

She tried these but said after taking them for so many days that she has to quit them for a while and then start back on because she feels like she smells like fish! I have NEVER had this problems with Super Omega Complex.

Janet
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

GAVE ME SOMETHING NEW TODAY. It is called Niaspan and is an extended release niacin. He warned me it would cause flushing. He said it would lower the bad and increase the good.

The instructions say you can minimize the problem by taking an asprin half an hour before the niacin pill.

One dr. also told me high cholestrol is at least 50% genetic.
  11. gongee

gongee New Member

Good Luck on the Niaspan. I tried Niaspan because I am allergic to statin drugs. I thought it was going to work but I couldn't take the flushing but in my case it was like a very bad sunburn from my face down to my chest. Only lasted about an hour each time but I decided not to pursue it. If you have this, I recommend you drinking as much water as possible as that takes the sunburn feeling away a lot quicker.
  12. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

suggest fibre such as psyllium husk,and oat bran. Also charcoal tablets may help.

all the best
    Robyn