Cholestyramine insurance coverage

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by lisesheehan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. lisesheehan

lisesheehan New Member

Hi
    I received a rx for this, not compounded. But my Cigna/Medicare wont cover. My doc won't try to get approval. He said they won't cover it for neurotoxicity no matter what. I'm not sure about that. Has anyone successfully gotten it with insurance? How. I really cannot afford this. Im on SSI. Please if anyone has any information. Thank you.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I don't have Lyme, but I am on cigna/Medicare. Below is the website for the Cigna 2012 RX formulary and your med is on it.

http://www.cigna.com/sites/cignamedicare/pdf/2012_PDP_Formulary_CompPlanTwo_508.pdf

I was reading about it and I believe the problem is that the main use of this med is not for Lyme. The doctors run into problems when they prescribe a medication for an off-use ailment. It happened with me many years ago with quanine. I was on quanine for leg cramps and the doctor had to stop prescribing it because the Food and Drug Adminstration (FDA) clamped down on prescribers for use of it for purposes other than the FDA had approved it--they had NOT approved it for off-use applications and mine was considered "off-use."