Cholestyramine: Need help fitting it into meds schedule

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by hopeful4, Jun 20, 2006.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I posted this at lymenet but haven't gotten any replies yet.

How do you add Cholestyramine into your meds/supplements schedule?

I'm supposed to take it 1x/day for a week, then 2x/day.

My Dr. at FFC says:
    1. Take it before meals.
    2. OK to take with other meds.

Dr. Burrascano says:
    "...may bind not only toxins but also many drugs and vitamin supplements. Therefore no other oral medications or supplements should be taken from one hour before, to three hours after a dose of one of these (cholestyramine or welchol) fiber agents."

The pharmacist said:
    1. Take all RX meds, whether before or after meal.
    2. Wait 1 hour.
    3. Take the Cholestyramine with at least 6 oz. water.

Like everyone else, I'm taking a lot of stuff on a schedule. How do you fit this in?

In the a.m., 30 min. before breakfast I take:
    Cumanda
    Samento
    Thyroid
    Boluoke
    Artemisinin
    SAMe
    Probiotics

Then breakfast.
    Then another set of meds/supplements, and Burbur.

Lunch. More meds/supplements, and Burbur.

30 minutes before dinner:
    Cumanda
    Samento
    Boluoke
    Artemisinin
    SAMe

Then dinner. More meds/supplements and Burbur.

Bedtime. Sleep meds and Burbur.

Can anyone help me fill in the Cholestyramine? I'm stressing over adding this in and several other new meds coming up, too.

Thanks for your help,
    Hopeful4
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I hope somebody here or there can tell you...

If you find out at the other board, please come back and tell us what they said? I can only imagine how confused you are, it is a daunting schedule to follow!

Thanks
    Victoria

3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Victoria,
    Thanks for your support. I think I was overwhelmed yesterday, tired, and just couldn't figure anything out. Also, I was reading about CSM, and different sites were saying different things.

So...I've decided to do what is DO-ABLE for me, and makes sense, and that is what the pharmacist said to do.

In the a.m., take all of my before and after breakfast meds. Wait 1 hour. Take the CSM w/water.

Then, in the evening, repeat, take all of my before and after dinner meds. Wait 1 hour. Take the CSM w/water.

Looks good on paper anyways!

Take care,
    Hopeful4
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

sounds like a plan! I hope it works for you!

Victoria
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi lovingheart:
    It's a real juggle. I'm taking CSM (cholestyramine) to flush out the neurotoxins. My Dr. says it should help me with brain fog. I just started taking it.

My Dr. says it's OK to take my thyroid meds with the boluoke, and several other things that need to be taken on an "empty" stomach.

Here is what I'm doing:

Morning:
    1. Take all my before brkfst meds (thyroid, probiotics, boluoke, artemisinin, SAMe, cumanda, samento).

2. Wait 30 minutes.

3. Have breakfast and meds/supplements.

4. Wait at least 1 hour. Take the CSM w/water.

Repeat at dinnertime (starting next week).

I've only been taking it a few days, so far, so good. I'm just concerned about not having it deplete the other meds/supplements/nutrition. Has it helped you? I'm looking forward to having my brain fog roll out to sea for good!

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

lovingheart,
    I go to the Seattle FFC since October '05. I'm taking the CSM for neurotoxins, like you are. Also putting some psyllium seed powder in my a.m. smoothie to prevent the constipation everyone seems to get.

I don't know what potent C is, and do not take it.

Take care,
    Hopeful4