Cholestyramine - need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babyk902, Apr 4, 2011.

1. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

So if any of you have read my posts I've been dealing with issues with mold for the past year, and I've read that the only thing that can really help with this is Cholestyramine (usually prescribed by Dr. Shoemaker - but I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket). I finally got a local doctor to get me a prescription, but he's not very familiar with how it works for mold or CFS. Can anyone help me with suggestions on when/how to take it? I know it's VERY specific, and I don't want to take it incorrectly. I found an article online that says you need to take Vitamin C in the morning also, as well as taking healthy oil or fats 30 min after taking the Cholestyramine.

From what I've read you're supposed to take 1 full packet 3-4 times a day, half hour before meals (or one hour after eating in the morning).

Does anyone know the suggested intake and specific directions? this would be so much appreciated. Thanks so much!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2011]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I dont have an answer. right now am dealing with mold isses. Doc gave me duclan half a dose did me in.

have you taken that?? I havent heard of Cholestyramine.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Try looking up mold forums, you should find some great info on mold and that med.I had a mold website but can't remember what it was called.
    If I find it I'll post it for ya.

4. inprog

inprog Member

Very seriously, your doctor should have you on some kind of a way to move your bowels. My doctor had his own form of high potency alovera and you had to take it with the dose or with the fatty food. Can't remember which. I only did mine once a day as that is all I could take but it is like concrete for some people. You can't wait until you stop up. Maybe talk with your doctor. I also got severely demineralized and weak. I have a box here with about 6 weeks left to go. Have not done it for a year but your doctor who maybe prescribed this should know what to do. I used my egg timer between the juice and the fats. The juice had the Questran in it. Must be on an empty stomach. Sorry, I don't remember the whole thing anymore and paperwork is in storage.
    I don't know where you are located but the FibroFatigue clinics around the country, most are familar with the Shoemaker Protocol and have variations on it too. Maybe make some phone calls or e-mail some of the clinics near you. Have a feeling you are maybe not checking this thread anymore but put it out there in case anyone else is interested. Dr. Holtorf's clinic in Torrance can put you on the protocol if needed.
    Hope that helps if you are still posting.[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2011]
  5. Heyygirl

Heyygirl New Member

Take it on an empty stomach 20 minutes before a fatty meal. How often is up to you. It will interfere with meds, so I take at the evening meal where I take no other medications. I also take metamucil earlier in the day because I have diverticula and it keeps me regular. Anyway, just take the cholestyramine when you can, daily if possible, but even once a week is better than none at all. Each time it improves the body burden of neurotoxins.

Neurotoxins are very small compounds that disrupt cellular function. Research has shown that exposure to environmental neuotoxins, such as mold and mycotoxins in water damaged buildings, can produce the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, and there is evidence that at least a subset of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia patients are suffering from chronic neurotoxin exposure. Usually this is from environmental sources but a number of chronic infections can also produce neoutoxins, as well, and these internal neurotoxins can persist even after an infection has been eradicated.
    In addition to the typical symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, neurotoxins may also include complaints of seeing a halo or glare around lights at night (which may cause trouble with driving), light sensitivity during the day, a metallic taste in the mouth or shooting pains. The body tries to rid itself of the neurotoxins by excreting them into the intestines via the bile. Unfortunately, these toxins are able to be reabsorbed from the bowel (they continue to re-circulate to the liver and then back to the blood via entero-hepatic circulation) and therefore fail to be eliminated without appropriate treatment. Once diagnosed via visual constrast sensitivity testing (, the neurotoxins can be eliminated with a regimen that includes the use of cholestyramine to bind the neourtoxins as they enter the gastrointestinal tract via the bile.