Cholestyramine: who's had good results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jul 31, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

I'm about to start cholestyramine(capsules from compounded power)... I wonder if people who've taken it for neurotoxin
    removal would please share their experiences. I'm confused about dosage. My naturopath recommended I take 4 grams at night only. Since I'm taking capsules, I'm starting out with 2 capsules, which I'll take with two 8 oz. glasses of water.

I know it binds with most meds, especially thyroid, which I'm on (Armour), so how have people compensated for reduced effects of thyroid and/or vitamins or other supplements. For example, what do you do if you're dosing 2-4 times a day, throughout the day? What side effects did/do you have?
    Any tips?

Thanks,

Anna
  2. isee

isee New Member

Bump for responses
  3. shazz

shazz New Member

I take colestid, (same thing only in tablet form) for another problem.
    The main side effect is constipation, which is the reason I AM taking it in the first place.
    So drink lots of water, I take two 2 gram tablets twice daily. I surely hope it works for you, and I think I did read earlier that a couple of people were feeling some relief from their fm symptoms using this.
    Good luck!!
  4. isee

isee New Member

Yes, Horsesoul posted last week. I believe she said she saw positive results within a couple of weeks.

I'm trying an elimination diet for 10 days before I start the cholestyramine. Want to keep it simple, so postponing the CSM protocol. I continue to suspect food intolerances in my case.

Anna