chondromalacia patella

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abelson, Dec 13, 2006.

1. abelson

abelson New Member

Im a long time runner with a consistent low grade chondromalacia patella. Ive been trying to get rid of it but I cant get it to fully go away. I was wondering what the latest treatment and exercises for it are. Ive tried to stop running but after missing 2 days or so I start to get the shakes and cant sleep. Im 45 and can still train at 6 minutes per mile or better. Im used to that level of activity. I just crave it Id rather die than give up.

2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Sounds very frustrating and I think you may get more responses if you offer a brief explanation of the above condition. I know people can Google it (and I'm about to), but it will be much easier and quicker to get folks to relate if you can...explain what it is.

I admire your ambition, and hope you're able to get help with your current impediments.
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

What is chondromalacia?
    Chondromalacia patella is a common cause of kneecap pain or anterior knee pain. Often called "Runner's Knee," this condition often affects young, otherwise healthy athletes.
    Chondromalacia is due to an irritation of the undersurface of the kneecap. The undersurface of the kneecap, or patella, is covered with a layer of smooth cartilage. This cartilage normally glides effortlessly across the knee during bending of the joint. However, in some individuals, the kneecap tends to rub against one side of the knee joint, and the cartilage surface become irritated, and knee pain is the result.

I found the above info by Googling and this is from the website About.com. They also described treatment options, which you might want to read. I was interested in your post because I remember my sister had a knee condition that was hampering her long-time hobby of hiking. I think she had some kind of medical procedure (can't remember details), but she was very happy with results and returned to her manic hiking and walking.
    (oh, she is SO unlike me :-})
  4. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

How flexible are you?

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella as a teen when I was also a runner. I did distance, and could run for hours.

Ran into hills and stairs in my first semester of genius college and my knees got so bad i could not walk. I am serious.

Figured out that it's not CMP. I'm hypermobile, it makes the range of motion greater, simulating a similar effect to CMP, but at greater damage to the tendons. Avoid hills and stairs completely if you can, and keep doing the quad strenghtening exersizes.

Those naturally cause you to be less flexible in the tendons that are causing you this pain.

If you are really flexible, that is. If not? Just do your exersizes and take naproxin (aleve) if you aren't already. You need physical therapy exersizes.