Chould we get flue shots /fibro /csf ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelstapleton, Sep 26, 2006.

1. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

I was woundering could we get the flue shot.
    I was just thinking that it may make us sick . I only had fibro for 6 monthes and not getting better.
    Thanks Bless all Angel
  2. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

Thanks
    I have never had the flue shot . But is that time of year and I don't want to be any sicker than I am
    Bless you Angel
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I've gotten one religiously every year. But last year, my first winter with fibro, I held out, because I was really afraid.

Well, come mid-Jan., everyone around me was getting the flu, and I hadn't gotten a shot yet. The local hospital was giving them out for free, so I went and got one. Guess what? Less than 2 weeks later, I came down with a bad case of the flu!! BUT, during that time, I had NO fibro symptoms at all!!!

In my opinion, it's a trade-off, and a decision that only YOU and your PCP can make. If you feel your better off chancing having the flu, then don't get it. If you feel it could make you more ill, then you'd better plan on staying away from LIFE for about 3 or more months during the full-blown season.

I have been a nurse for so many years, it was just a common thing to get one every year, because I knew I'd have people coughing and sneezing all over me. This last year, I only had my hubby, and I STILL got really sick from the flu. BUT, I survived, and I plan on getting the shot earlier this year. PG
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I used to be against having more "crap" introduced into my body .. I was really against having the flu shot ..
    BUT ... this past month I have been sick with everything going including one heck of a stomach bug that nearly did me in ..
    SO ... now my doctor and I see eye to eye on the flu shot .. a BIG YES !!!
    Converted Joy : )
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I usually get one every year, but usually end up getting sick with something anyway. I figure it helps most of the time.
  6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hi Angel, my doc says to get the nasal spray vaccine for flu - more expensive but you won't get exposure to murcury and since I had a very nasty reaction to a flu shot right before I got sick with this dd I am never going to risk the shot again.

Gretchen
  7. mary124

mary124 New Member

I get one every year due to my heart condition.
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I get one because of my "asthma" (I don't think I have it, but a different story.) I did end up sick for 3 days after I got the shot last year, but it was my first time getting it, and it was basically just a worsening of my regular fibro symptoms.

I don't like shots, but I've never had the flu, and I'm not willing to continue trying my luck. The way things are looking, flu season may be about the time I return to school and BLECH! Kids are gross.

So, I plan on getting one again this year, but for some reason (I forget why) I can't get the nasal version. Oh well.
  9. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I don't think there's any problem with getting a flu shot. I actually got my first flu shot ever this past year, since I began working in healthcare. Go figure...2 months later I ended up extremely sick with what I think was the flu. I had a fever of between 101 and 103 for 5 days straight, and I was absolutely miserable. I've never had the flu before, so it's ironic that I got it for the first time after getting a flu shot for the first time. However, I don't think there was any correlation between the shot and me getting sick.

Anyway, the only thing you may notice is soreness in your arm after getting the shot, and I'm sure it may be heightened by FM or CFIDS.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You'll probably find as many against as for them here. It's an individual choice just like any treatment. I've always gotten one and have no trouble with it. Other's have had trouble. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot; the flu cells are dead. If you come down with the flu after a shot, chances are you would have gotten it anyway or it's not the flu, just more FM or another virus.

Marta
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

decision . For myself I will not because the one time I did I got the Flu even worse.

I also think Im just not sure about all these shots we get ,maybe they add to our problems more then they help.

Just my opinion
  12. kjfms

kjfms Member

I received my very first influenza shot yesterday. I feel OK so far.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get it or not but I work in a clinic -- no direct patient contact but I felt I needed one because I do have to walk through the waiting room quite often -- so I figured it couldn't hurt.

I always get some sort of bug several times during the winter months -- so I am hoping it will help.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  13. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been getting the flu shot for the past five years and will continue to do so. The worst reaction I've had has been a sore arm for a couple of days.

My FM/CFS flares when it chooses to, or when the weather changes, or when I'm under stress........etc. For me, preventing getting the flu is something I can attempt to control.

I'm sure if I had a bad reaction to it, I probably feel quite differently.

Regards,

Eileen
  14. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...not because of the shot itself, but because of all the preservatives that come with it.

However, this year I have leukemia and definitely will get one, and a pneumonia shot as well (but not at the same time; I feel it's never a good idea to get two vaccinations at once).

The preservatives in them, while I'm not crazy for, are probably much less strong than the chemo I had! So, yes, I'll get them and hope to stay well this winter.

And I agree, this is entirely a personal choice, a lot of different thoughts on this topic.

Hugs,
    Pam