Christian Fiction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ABLUV, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Anybody enjoy reading Christian novels?

Ted Dekker
    Karen Kingsbury
    Frank Perretti
    Francine Rivers
    Gilbert Morris
    Lori Wick
    Neta Jackson
  2. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I like to read the Mitford series. Mostly I read generic fiction. Godblesss
  3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I got turned on to her fiction when I bought "Chat Room" at the Lakewood Book Store a few years back when my ex-fiance was a camera operator. For Wednesday services, we always had to get there early and leave late, so I would take a book. The first time they called him in to work was at the last minute so I ran into the book store and found "Chat Room". Well that grabbed me right away, since I have my own history of life in a chat room.

I've read everything she has written and I highly recommend her.
  4. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I'm sure there's a bunch that I've never heard of. Does she write mystery, romance, suspense, drama? I will check my library for her; you've got my curiosity up.

Have you heard of Terri Blackstock? I just finished a mystery series called Cape Refuge. It was so good! It has 4 in the series. But you can skip number 2; it dragged in my opinion. Number 1,3, and 4 were great!
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

She writes mystery/suspense novels. You can buy her stuff on Amazon if you are a book buyer. The only problem I have is that I've read everything she's ever written *L*.

6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm a big fan of hers!

Also really got into Karen Hancock's Fantasy/allegorys

Arena, and her series; The Legend of the Guardian King.

7. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

My favorite by Francine Rivers is Redeeming Love. Next, And the Shofar
    Blew, Leota's Garden, Atonement Child. She is such a sensitive writer. I can feel what the characters are going through. I love Francine Rivers.

Terri Blackstock writes mainly mysteries but there is one book that falls in F. Rivers catagory that I think you will like; it's called Covenant Child. Check it out and let me know what you think, okay?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2008]
  8. morningsonshine

I like her because her characters are not perfect like alot of christian romance writers. They seem more real, and believable with flaws, and they grow and learn.

I haven't read the Shofar one, have you read her Trilolgy, The Mark of the Lion?? Very good.
    And the ones she writes that are scriptural fiction, on Ruth, Mary, Tamar, And two other bibical women.

I know some of my christian friends had trouble with her one on Redeeming Love, and thought it was too contriversal, but i really liked it. Real life isn't all cleaned up and sterile. The bible has several stories about prostitutes.

Guess that's why we call it Redeeming Love.

I think i read one of Terri's books, it was good writing, but i don't read too much mystery books. I will look up the one you mentioned on Amazon tho, The Covenant.

Have you read any of Lynn Austin books?? I really like historical fiction stuff, and fantasy.

It's really hard to find Christian fantasy, but i've gotten ahold of afew good ones.

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  9. morningsonshine

One book i always recommend to people, i found so many layers to it, and one of the few i've read again, and again.

Is called, The Hawk and the Dove, by, Penelope Wilcock

It's not your typical love story between a man and a woman, it's a love story between a man and God. It's a very human book with faith that struggles and grows, more than once.

The story is in another Century, yet i easily find my own struggles, failures, and hope in it.

If you and anyone else would be interested in reading a christian book together, i would be game.
  10. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I am reading the other book that the chit-chat board is reading this month, but I am a voracious reader, so I can juggle two books at once.

I have to confess that at first (a few years back) I was a bit put off by the term "Christian Fiction". I had all the stereotypes in my head. I was raised Catholic in the "old days" and Christians were those "other people" *L*. Anyway, the point is, I grabbed the Linda Hall book from the Lakewood Bookstore (Chat Room) and was HOOKED. I found that Christian Fiction is just fiction, with very real people struggling with very real spiritual issues.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I would love to read a good book with ya'll.

11. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

by Bill Bright and Ted Dekker called Blessed Child about a child with special abilities. Or another book by Bill Bright and Jack Cavanaugh called Proof, which is historical fiction about the spiritual awakenings in early American history. Would anyone be interested in reading one of these?
  12. teacher

teacher New Member

Proof sounds interesting! Let me know if you all decide to read it.
  13. morningsonshine

I'm in, we could see how many people want to, and give them time to find the book, or request it from the library and read it for the month of September????

I'm flexible, what ever works the best.

14. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I love historical fiction, so Proof sounds good. I'm in as well.

15. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

By WilliamP. Young. I'm half way through this book. What starts out as a tragedy soons becomes very uplifting in a father's journey after his daughter is abducted and ultimatly assumed dead. Check it out! Jeanne
  16. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I would enjoy reading this book with you in September. Before we agree on this I don't want you to pick a book you wouldn't like, so let me tell you a little more about it:

This book is in a four book series that tell of the Great Awakenings which was an era of national spiritual revival and controversy and one of the greatest periods of American religious history. These books depict the personal and spiritual upheaval that occurs when the Holy Spirit stirs the waters of our souls. In "Proof" a celebrated New York attorney takes the Holy Spirit to court when his daughter experiences a life-changing conversion to Christianity. Though the events in this novel are fictional, they are reflectons of the historical events that actually occurred during the revival in 1857- 1858. For more info about the Great Awakenings and this book go online

However, if that book is not interesting to you there is a great book called Blessed Child by Ted Dekker & Bill Bright
    Here's what the back cover says:

When Jason agrees to take Caleb from the monastery, he unwittingly opens humanity's doors to an incredible journey
    filled with intrigue and peril. Together with Leah, a nurse who escapes to America with them, Jason discovers Caleb's stunning power. But so do the boy's enemies, who will stop at nothing to destroy him. Jason and Leah fight for Caleb's survival while the world erupts into debate over the source of the boy's power. In the end nothing will prepare them for what they will find...

So tell me which one you want to read and count me in...

Your reading buddy,

17. teacher

teacher New Member

still sounds good to me. Let me know!
  18. morningsonshine

Where are we all at with this??? Are we reading Proof.

If it's a series, does it matter if we pick up in the middle.
    I know some series don't really matter if they are in order.

I just got a book from the Crossings called, The Healing Stone.
    Haven't started it yet.

19. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Let's do it! Proof in September, sounds good to me....
    The series does not have to be read in order. I hope we all will enjoy it.

Now, how do we do this? Do we talk about each chapter? Is there a schedule for finishing the book then we talk about it? How do we let others know about the group? Is there a group leader? I've never done this online before, as a matter of fact I've never been a reading club ever so I'm clueless......
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2008]