Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charmed75, Dec 9, 2002.

1. charmed75

charmed75 New Member

Hi all! My mom has been diagnosed with FMS within the past year or so. I thought of getting her a nice "relief" gift for Christmas, but am a little out of my league, since I don't know much about the disease. The whole reason I thought of it was from an infomercial I'd seen this morning on the Q-Ray bracelets. I'd also seen a post from a woman that had recieved a hot/cold pack and a bubble mat for the bathtub. Could anyone give me any ideas on things that you've tried???

PS - I hope no one is offended that I have no info or stories to share... I just want to do something nice for my mother.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2002]
  2. charmed75

charmed75 New Member

Hi all! My mom has been diagnosed with FMS within the past year or so. I thought of getting her a nice "relief" gift for Christmas, but am a little out of my league, since I don't know much about the disease. The whole reason I thought of it was from an infomercial I'd seen this morning on the Q-Ray bracelets. I'd also seen a post from a woman that had recieved a hot/cold pack and a bubble mat for the bathtub. Could anyone give me any ideas on things that you've tried???

PS - I hope no one is offended that I have no info or stories to share... I just want to do something nice for my mother.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2002]
  3. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Charmed:
    What a nice note. Your mother is very lucky.
    I'll tell you what you can buy for her that she might like:
    Dr. Mark Pelligrino's book on Fibromyalgia, forget the name of it but you can hit on his name on the web and check it out!. A nice hot/cold pad on an ace bandage fromyour local discount store will do the trick too. The foam bath mat sounds great too.
    But the BEST gift I could think of is the gift of help from you!!!!!! She probably won't tell you how bad she feels, but you can bet she hurts ALOT! SO, if you offered to clean for her, do some laundry, or go to the store and push the cart for her, I bet she'd love it!!! My husband goes to the store with me and pushes the cart and lifts all the heavy things for me and It's GREAT! Of course, none of this costs anything at all. Also be a good listener! I know you get tired of hearing how bad she feels, but she get s just as tired of saying it every day too. It's nice to have someone who LISTENS to us vent a little, as this is a very frustrating disease.
    Good Luck, and Merry Christmas.
    let us know what you got for her!
    northwoodssue
  4. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hi...I think that it is marvelous that you took time to care for your mom and ask for help....more power to you!

We FMS sufferer need lots of understanding and need to know that people care. You go girl!

I think that a good gift would also be a gift certificate for a massage. but make sure is someone that is a professional, so it would not cause more pain to her, but relief.

heat pads are fantastic.

something that would distract her on bad days...like her favorite movie dvd, helps too. music that would make her happy.

a calling card so she can call someone on her bad days...this is a must!

and tell her in a card, that you love her and are trying to understand her pain...is a great gift too.

PS there is something really informative at this site if you would like to read it...it will help you understand us fibro friends. www.geocities.com/helpfulcfs
    look for The thief of many lives.
    take care.
    aq
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

What a wonderful daughter you must be. Can I adopt you? Your mother is lucky to have you. The very first post on this page is information on how to get leaflets explaining this to friends and family. You can order up to 99 free. You and Mom can pass them out to friends and relatives. Friends who actually understand what we are dealing with are truly priceless. An oversized heating pad is a gift from heaven. A heated mattress pad can ease typical morning aches and stiffness. A gift certificate of your time to help her with the things she can no longer do will help her a lot. Better still, a booklet of certificates each good for 30 - 60 minutes of your time. Use your imagination here. Enjoy!
    Kathryn
  6. tedebear

tedebear New Member

My daughters have called to tell me they found the heated mattress pad for me for part of my Christmas gift. Isn't that wonderful. Dual control because my husband doesn't like heat. Those great kids, making my life easier.
    Whatever you get your Mom, I'm sure she'll be delighted you consider comfort for her. Your a good kid. Keep up the good work.
    Happy holidays to you and soft hugs to your MOM.
  7. Carina

Carina New Member

How wonderful for you to think of a collection for your mom. All the suggestions above are great. I would like to add to the list of possiblities:

Equate brand Natural Aloe Lotion ( it can be found at Walmart about $2.00 for 17.7 ozs.) It is the best lotion I've found anywhere at any price, it really soaks in the skin and we use a lot of that type of thing.

Another thing I find indespensable is a wooden roller found in many bath products baskets. The one that really brings comfort to the feet are the ones that have 4 or 5 individually rolling sections. Each of these sections are of different sizes. Sometimes you can find these sold separately.

Have fun with your project and I hope you and yourfamily have a merry Christmas
  8. phenom

phenom New Member

a good idea that i know i would like (hope my sister reads this!) is gift vouchers for things your mum would like and can use when she's having a flare or a bad day. things like doing the dishes or vaccuuming etc.... hope that helps - its great if your short on cash too!

phenom

[ advertisement ]