Christmas is coming....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Nov 18, 2008.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

Happy Holidays, Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, and all the others, I hope are happy for you and your loved ones.

I was curious about how many of you are decorating this year. For the past 30 years we have had atleast one Christmas tree inside, plus other trimmings inside, plus outdoor (hubby does that.) Last year, we really toned it down inside due to me being pepless and in pain.

I was thinking tonite, I really don't even think I am going to put a tree up this year. It is so much work and nobody is around to enjoy it. My family is all away. I do have a friend coming in, but she doesn't care much about the tree.

Also, we have had a new years party for the past 30 years, rotating with our friends. We had it one year, then they the next, then us again. It was always so much fun. Last year, I didn't have it and I seriously doubt I can this year. My pain is so bad but the darn fatigue is worse.

Are you going to do a lot of trimming this year?

I am going to send out Christmas cards, and that is even difficult to do now, as I have tremors and my writing is chicken scratch.

Anyhooo, I thank you for listening to me gripe. Please fill me in on your plans for the holidays.

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm not doing it. My neighbor even gave me a flyer for the new cheap trees and I'm still not doing it. There are alot of reasons, but I just don't feel very festive this year. I am going to cook for Thanksgiving, though. I already bought the turkey and stuffing.
  3. tut90

tut90 Member

This year is going to be very different, it's my first year with this DD. I already told my daughters that they had to help me with the cooking at Thanksgiving. They usually brought desserts, this year they will have to do more, the same goes for Christmas. I already gave them money so they could do the shopping for my grand kids. I'm cutting back on a lot of things, I will only sent cards to those that sent me one last year, other years I didn't care, I've sent to everyone. As for wrapping, that's going to be minimal, I will have to buy more gift bags.

The only thing that bothers me is not being able to decorate like I use to, I have so many crates full of decorations, but I will have to cut back on that also.

It's very depressing, I hear people making plans, and I know that I can't do that anymore, I don't know how I'm going to be feeling tomorrow let alone weeks, or months from now.

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2008]
  4. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I dont think it is all because of my illness. Sometimes we are jsut busy with kids and you have to pick your priorities timewise. But, I do know if we didnt have kids at home yet, it would be jsut so much easier to forget it all. It does get depressing though for me to not be involved. Every year I do less and less baking and decorating. It has been years since we put outdoor lights up. My husband is the type of guy that has no motivation for this type of stuff and would never do anything unless he really doesn't care at all.

I did mention that I need more help getting the big meals ready. And one thing I don't feel guilty about anymore is sending the rest of the family out to do grocery shopping. My family appreciates my cooking enough to not complain about having to do the shopping part.

Also, I am finding the past years that I simply cant do the gift shopping. Online shopping is AWESOME!!! And I call lots of stores to check for items in stock and put aside for my husband or older kids to pick up if they are in the area. I then do most of wrapping when i am in bed or in a low energy state. You just have to prioritize and accept that things might not be able to be the same as ithey always were. It may BETTER because so many people overdo and even those who are not sick with this disease go through he)) and break down during holidays. That should tell us that is time to rethink our expectations of Ourselves! Also, with the economy, might be Ok to scale down some?
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I will never let this DD win me over of my Holidays. I love Christmas and I will do what I always do, decorate, cook, wrap presents, etc...... I will just have to have a little more help than usual and deal with the pain.

I love the smell of Christmas, the tree when it is all lit up and all the houses that are lit up including mine. I love my village that I put up every year and all the stockings and seeing the presents under the tree.

The only think I miss is my girls believing in Santa Claus. Those were definetly the best years. Now that they are 18 and 16 of course they do not believe, but as long as I can keep doing this I am and I am not letting this Fibro ruin my happiness. I am thankful I have family that will help. I put the decorations up and my hubby takes them down. That is the one thing i hate to do, LOL

I am sorry for those of you who just can't do this anymore, I wish I could be there to help you. Just remember, be happy, don't let fibro ruin your happiness.

By the way, the part I dread is shopping, I just can't do that anymore so I do most of mine online. That helps a great deal

Love you all,

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2008]
  6. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Happy Holidays to you too.
    Can't say I really have any real plans, My and DH's 12th wedding anniversary is coming next week (Nov. 26) and I'm trying my best to have energy for going out to eat and than my whole family is going out the next day for Thanksgiving dinner (we do the restaurant thing, my aunt and I are too sick to cook or clean up and my mom doesn't have her own place right now).
    Christmas, well that's too far off for me to really have plans yet. We have a fake tree that we put up near the end of this month and just a few boxes of stuff to put around the house.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm not ready!