Christmas Messages

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids, Old Friends and New

Wanna wish folks a Merry Christmas? Perhaps in a different language?
    That of your ancestors maybe?

Feeling anxious about the big dinner? Lonely? Exuberant? Depressed?

Remember the old adage: Venting is better than fermenting. So give
    voice here.

Yes, I know "old adage" is redundant, but those two words just seem to
    go together. Like Broad Daylight. Or Golden Brown. Brand New. Latest
    Fad. Etc.

Here are wishes from places my ancestors left behind. England: Happy
    Christmas. Wales: Nadolig Llawen. France: Joyeux Noel. Ireland:
    Nollaig Shona. Germany: Frohe Weihnachten. Scotland: Nollaig Chridheil.

springwater likes this.
  2. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Rock!

I've been off the boards through the holidays attempting to rest due to the major work load at my job. This message is specifically for you my dear friend.

Irish Gaelic: Nollaig shona dhuit! (pronounced Null-eg hunna ghwitch) Merry (or happy) Christmas to you!

Swiss: Joyeux Noel or Frohlichi Wiehnacht! (Frohlichi...... two dots over the o)

German: Frohe Weihnachten!

Welsh: Nadolig Llawen!

Swedish: God Jul!

Norwegian: Glatelig Jul!

I've been sort of a Scrooge, (Bah Humbug!), regarding Christmas this year due to all the stress of gearing up for it at my job. But I had part of my large family home yesterday for a very simple Christmas meal and the Spirit finally found me. Today I get to have the rest of my family and best friend here, (due to work schedules), for a 2nd simple meal and togetherness.

Now, I feel truly blessed. Now I am able to concentrate on the "true" meaning of Christmas, the joy of family, and the blessed life I am still able to live.

To you, Gordon, and your loved ones,

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Bless You!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Dar

I noticed you hadn't been around for a while. Glad to see you're back. Thanks
    for the Gaelic lesson. It always amazes me when a letter in one language
    has a completely different sound in another.

Gordon and I don't do much to observe the holidays anymore. Today we
    watched A Christmas Carol. I think there are 3 or 4 movie versions as well
    as several radio and TV productions. Gene Lockhart was the star of this
    1938 version. His screen wife and daughter were played by his real wife
    and daughter. Daughter June Lockhart is remembered as Lassie's mother
    and for being Lost in Space.

Gordon's niece is dropping by later this afternoon. I told her she could
    have my old Toyota if she wants it. I don't drive any more.

Glad to hear you had a nice dinner with family.

4. springwater

springwater Active Member

well, we dont hv Merry Christmas in my language but i do wish EVERYONE a Merry one and a Happy New Year!

God Bless
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Rock,

FYI........A Christmas Carol is my utmost favorite Christmas movie. I think I have every version of that movie ever made. From the one with Reginald Owen to Alistair Sim, to George C. Scott, to Kelsey Grammer's musical version, to Scrooged with Bill Murray, to Patrick Stewart and even Mr. Magoo! I soooooo love that movie. (I missed a few versions in my collection, but I'm sure you get the idea).

The version with Alistair Sim has always been my favorite. I have both the black and white as well as the colorized version. That was the version that "hooked" me. My second fave is that of Patrick Stewart's portrayal of Scrooge. He did a fantastic job with the role.

Of course I've also watched Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, (Jimmy Stewart fan I am!), The Santa Claus I and II, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, (both the cartoon and the one with Jim Carey), The Polar Express, National Lampoon's Christmas, A Christmas Story, and all my other Christmas movies. I have one whole section in my movie shelves just for Christmas.

As you may have surmised, Christmas used to be my favorite time of year. I used to decorate like a mad woman. I lit every doorway inside the house, my entertainment center, my bedroom, and even my fig tree! My house was so brightly lit outside with lights that my poor neighbor across the street asked me to please turn them off at 9:00 so they could sleep! I haven't done that sort of thing since 2001. I just lost interest in putting in all that time and work when I started having to do it at my job.

Hi Spring,

Spring, Thank you. Your Merry Christmas is appreciated in any language. :)

I, for one, am not celebrating the coming New Year in what was once my traditional manner. I used to have the family home for a gnosh and family game time, or I'd go out with friends to a local pub and throw back a few. I've so worked my body into a hot mess that I'm taking New Year's Eve Day off as paid time off and New Year's Day as a paid holiday. I've not invited anyone over, nor am I going out. I have a two day date with my bed, my pillow, my remotes, and movies! Blessed rest here I come!

To both of you and yours..........I wish you a Happy New Year filled with all the love and "good moments" that life can bring to you.