Christmas Tree for US--- EASY -- or -- TOO EARLY TO MENTION?????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Oct 19, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Last week at my support group meeting, we were talking about Christmas and how we do less and less... I know I do way less than my Mom did at my age! One person keeps her artifical tree decorated all year, her husband put together a special box to cover it and keep it clean, in the basement.

I was browsing thru a "Solutions"catalog and saw theiy had a 6' 'pull-up tree' for inside! Already decorated and lit, looked very pretty, fits in a flat box; you just pull it up and plug it in. But-- a bit pricey at $179.

JCPenny also has one, altho slightly different. Theirs is $129, not too bad a price comparatively too when you consider it is 6 feet.

Solutions tree is a bit prettier imho, but, it's $179, sigh.... and I just bought an artifical tree last year... don't think I could justify it for a few years at least!

Hope this helps someone make it easier on themselves and yet still have fun!

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2007]
  2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thanks for the tips Victoria. I can see myself wanting one of these a few years down the line.

We got a big artificial tree about 7 years ago, and the first year, I went to town on the lights. I wrapped every branch from trunk to tip, and back. I left a little slack between sections hoping I could leave the lights on and fold it back into the box when finished with it. Every year after that, I was so pleased when I set it up and the lights were all ready to go.

That is, until last year. The fated "day the lights wouldn't work" finally arrived. Naturally, it wasn't the last strand in the chain, but several strands, deep in the inner conglomeration. It was a nightmarish mess to deal with! I don't know what surprises await me in that box this year. The idea of a pop-up tree sounds pretty good to me right now.
  3. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I'm still in Halloween denial! lol! I'll be in Christmas denial until December 24 if things go as usual!

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

My box of Christmas decorations never made it to the basement this year and is sitting just a few feet from me, LOL!

I can't, can't, can't, wrap my brain around it being Christmas soon! (Even though I'm clearly ready!)

I WILL get those decorations into basement storage, even if it is just for a few weeks!

Just humor me, please, OK?
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I know someone who does the same thing! Altho she lives too far from me to see what all she does with it.

That could be a really good plan, LOL, except for all the dust webs that would end up decorating it...

hmmm, maybe it'd be all 'done up' just in time for next Halloween? Would look pretty spooky hehehehe!
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Although the months are flying by and I'll still be caught by how quickly it comes, I'm counting down the days until about November 15th when I'll begin to put out my Christmas decorations.

Since the Europeans don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I can get away with putting things up early and I'm so excited.

This is the first year in many (22?) that I don't have stairs in my house so it will be easier for me to put my decorations out and we have an elevator from our storage downstairs to make it even easier.

I can't wait to watch the snowfall over the mountain and overlooking the city of Stuttgart. My hubby and I always go outside and dance in the first Christmas snowfall, it's become a tradition since we moved to Germany.

Nancy B

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've seen these on QVC and HSN. I don't know that they'd be cheaper there but it's worth checking their websites.

I don't have a tree anymore--no place to put it in my condo. I do use the plastic evergreen swags and mini white lights to decorate the tops of my armoires and the divider walls on two sides of the kitchen. I tuck decorations in among the evergreens on the divider walls.

We decorate the outside of our condo bldg. and every year, it gets harder and harder to do. Still, it does look so nice. We drape the swags and white lights the full length of the upper balcony with wreaths and red bows everywhere. Most of the other bldgs. do similar decorations and our little village looks very inviting. It's hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it's in the 70's and 80's and the palm trees are swaying.

One of the stores here sells pink flamingos which are as tall as I am and they light up. Takes tasteless to a new level.

Love, Mikie
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm going to wait, as mine is only 2 years old, plus I bought a 4' one last year so I could put it where my MIL could see it and enjoy it. Boy was that easy... may just pull that one back out instead of the 6' one!

BUT with my luck, the pull-up one will probably be gone by the time I want one... there used to be pre-lit "half" trees, 4' or 6', that hung on the wall...

I'd looked for it last year before I bought the 4' tree... couldn't find any but the 24" ones that were also not as nice.

I'd love to have the tree that hangs from the ceiling LOL... IF I had a place for that!!!!

I could end up eventually with a whole houseful of trees if I don't watch out!!!!
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

like blue and pink and orange? I walked into a craft store the other day and saw a neon pink feather Christmas tree! It had feathers for needles! I definately still have my "punk" side but it actually made me laugh.

10. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I used to pull out the china, clean the silver, decorate to the ceiling even if I had to move furniture and other items out of the room. Now we have a small prelit tree that goes on the bay window and looks nice. Maybe a few things here or there. The best part is baking cut out sugar cookies with the grandchildren. Also having dinner at someone elses house. Godbless
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

sounds like the pink feather tree would go with Mikie's pink flamingoes???

Now that's REALLY..., ummm, tropical?

12. kriket

kriket New Member

is still up from last year. Terrible huh. Can you guess who in the family does the decorating at xmas??? It's kinda obvious, cause it never got taken down. I figured since it had been so long, I would just leave it up. It gets harder and harder every year to decorate. Yuccckkkk!!!

13. victoria

victoria New Member

I predict that pretty soon it will be ok to leave it up year-round... since they're selling Christmass 'stuff' almost year-round anyway. You are just helping to set a new way of living, more carefree and convenient!!!