Chrominum picolinate and weight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marta, Apr 12, 2003.

1. marta

marta New Member

Having just received my new copy of Healthwatch and seeing the lead article about insulin potentiation therapy reminded me to post my experience with chromium.

A few years after I'd been diagnosed, my doctor prescribed Glucophage for all of his CFIDS patients. He feels strongly that CFS is a metabolically-related syndrome; in fact, he had what he called EBV himself and treated himself accordingly.

I took it for several years and felt it helped me, but after doing some research, I became concerned about taking such a strong, new drug. Another doctor told me that a hair analysis showed her to be low in chromium so she took 600 mcg. daily, lost 20 pounds and gained energy. I bought some and found I gradually had the same result as with the glucophage; that is, a reduction in cravings and constant hunger. Of course, without feeding the cravings, in time I lost weight too.

Earlier this winter I decided to see if it was really helping me (you know, one of those "I'm taking too many things" moments of lunacy) so when I ran out I didn't buy more. Gradually my cravings for carbs and sugar returned, my weight inched up correspondingly and my energy level dropped lower than ever. A week ago I remembered my "experiment" with chromium and immediately bought more. Today I realized that I'm having fewer cravings and don't seem to be as hungry between or at meals. I assume that I'll lose the 10 pounds I gain as well.

I take the GNC's Chromium Picolinate 500 (glucose tolerance factor). I'd prefer to get the supplement from ProHealth but they carry only 200 mcg. and I seem to need more than that.

I hope this gives those of you who are frustrated with weight gain food for thought.

Marta

P.S. I see that it appears by my post count that I'm a newbie but I'm not, I just didn't post for quite awhile. Guess I'd better go see if I still have a Profile.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2003]
  2. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I take 200mcg Chromium Picolinate..did not know you could elevate to a higher level, without problems, though..but, it really seems to keep blood sugar levels from plunging too low..which is really needed when you have insulin resistance problems(with accompanying hypoglycemia)...and many with FM/CFS have that, as I do...

It is really good to know that it provides the same benefit without the risks of "heavy-duty" med..Is Glucophage for Hypoglycemia and/or insulin resistance, in particular?

~~amelia~~
  3. marta

marta New Member

Glucophage is used for treatment of diabetes but my doctor was using it for insulin resistance. Maybe that was OK but it made me uncomfortable since I don't have diabetes. I sure am insulin resistant, though.

Marta
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Chromium Picolinate has been shown to cause
    heart palps and other side effects. It is much
    better to take it in another form. Glucose
    Tolerance Factor is what the safe one is called.
    Just thought I would let you know.

PS Glucophage is given to diabetics and those
    who are insulin resistant/' and or have
    polycystic ovarian disease.

Lynn
  5. marta

marta New Member

.....Lynn, about chromium p. causing heart palpatations, etc.

After recommending I take c.p. my doctor finally tested my insulin and it appears that it's fine. Very odd. (The doctor AND the test result.)

Marta
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Marta,

The first time I was tested for Insulin resistance
    it was really high.

Three weeks later the endocrinologist did the test
    again and the number was much lower. I had
    no change in diet during that time period.

I, too, thought it was odd.
    I do have PCOS though and glucophage is what
    I need to take.

Just wanted to alert those to the dangers
    of chromium pic.

Lynn
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Hi Applyn,

I think it needs to be tested in my case..Do you need to see a endocrinologist for this, and is this their area of expertise, or do you need to find one that specializes in it?..I suspect I have had PCOS..have had all the symptoms..Do you know what a C-Peptide Test is for?

Doesn't the GTF Chromium come from a yeast source? That was the main reason I tried to find it without that..due to candida probs...

Thanks for any help...
    Plantscaper
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

For Insulin Resistance? Is it called the C-Peptide Test? And whether you need to go to Endocrinologist for these tests to get adequate treatment?

Please need info ASAP...
    Plantscaper
  9. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I ALSO HAVE BEEN TAKING CPO FOR YEARS.

MY DOCTOR RECOMMENDED IT TO ME,

I HAVE HAD NO HEART PALPS

I THINK IT JUST DEPENDS ON EACH PERSON

IT ALSO HELPS KEEP MY CRAVINGS DOWN.

I TAKE 600 MG. TWICE A DAY, MORNING AND NIGHT.

ALL DRUGS EFFECT EACH PERSON DIFFERENTLY.

JUST ALSO HAD EKG. IT WAS FINE.

EVERY ONE WHO TAKES IT JUST NEEDS TO WATCH WHAT EFFECTS THAT THEY GET FROM IT.

LOVE MY CP

GENTLE HUGS,
    JANICE
  10. marta

marta New Member

My doctor check my insulin level with a simple (one vial) blood test. Sorry, I don't know the name of the test but I can find out for you - I've become buddies with the lab tech. :>(

I suspect that more could be done but that's all she ordered. I haven't seen the doctor to discuss the test results yet but when I had more blood draw for liver function, the tech said, referring to the insulin test, "that was fine", whatever that means...

By the way, I have no palpatations from the CP but I do notice a reduction in my gottaeatNOWs.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2003]
  11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

If you don't mind asking about the name of the test, I sure would appreciate it...this is a problem I really need to discover before it gets to the diabetes stage...

Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful responses,
    Plantscaper
  12. marta

marta New Member

You got it. I'll call my buddy this week and ask about it. Your doctor should know, too, of course....

Marta
  13. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I just wanted to answer the question about
    GTF being from brewer's yeast. That is
    one reason I haven't taken it. I won't
    take the chromium pic. though. I used it a long
    time ago and it did give me heart palps.
    It has been in the news also that it causes
    heart problems, etc.

Lynn