chromium is helping my food (carb) cravings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

just wanted to mention this. i thought nothing could help my severe carb and sweets and food cravings, but this is. it hasnt taken away all the cravings but it has made them weaker. im happy for anyimprovement.

2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Thanks bigmama2....I need something to help with the food cravings. I will eat junk even when I am not hungry!!

How much are you taking and where do you find the supplement?

3. tandy

tandy New Member

Are you referring to chromium picolinate?

if so,.. I had tried that many yrs ago to curb food craving and just to maintain my current weight.(maybe drop a few lbs) ,... and it did help.
    I was'nt as hungry all the time & did'nt pick all day~

I think its known to balance your blood sugar levels.?? i'm not 100% sure on that but I think I'd read that before.

at any rate,... so glad your finding it helpful~
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This thread jogged my memory.

Several years ago my psychiatrist recommended Chromium. I did not know that it also decreases cravings. It definitely did that for me.

I did not continue taking it as it was too expensive and I wanted to concentrate on the one or two supplements/vitamins, the doctor felt were the ones I really needed.

Right now I have the opposite problem. I am never hungry and often have to force myself to eat. However, because of this and my inactivity which is probably slowing down my metabolism, I have not lost weight.

This was my experience.

5. msSusan

msSusan Member

I believe most people can get chromium from regular diet? Is 50 mcg recommended?

List of selected food sources of chromium Food Chromium (mcg)

Broccoli, ½ cup 11
    Grape juice, 1 cup 8
    English muffin, whole wheat, 1 4
    Potatoes, mashed, 1 cup 3
    Garlic, dried, 1 teaspoon 3
    Basil, dried, 1 tablespoon 2
    Beef cubes, 3 ounces 2
    Orange juice, 1 cup 2
    Turkey breast, 3 ounces 2
    Whole wheat bread, 2 slices 2
    Red wine, 5 ounces 1-13
    Apple, unpeeled, 1 medium 1
    Banana, 1 medium 1
    Green beans, ½ cup 1
  6. Jayna

Jayna New Member

if you respond well and quickly to chromium supplements.

Insulin resistance, put simply, is that the cells don't open up when they should, to let the blood sugars in where they can be turned into energy. The blood sugar stays high, more insulin is produced in response, and the body eventually packs away the sugar into fat cells (mainly around the stomach) just to get it out of the bloodstream.

Chromium helps open the cell doors to let sugars out of the blood into the cells, where they will hopefully be turned into energy like they should be.

Insulin resistance is also helped by following a lower-carb diet, avoiding sugary drinks (even fruit juice) and - a huge help! - always eating a bite or two of protein with carbs to slow down the carbs reaching the bloodstream.

I took a small chromium picolinate supplement for about five years, but now things are under control enough (or my deficiency was finally filled) that I don't need it any more.