Chronic Fatigue Article from London

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Mystery Fatigue Often Not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Fri May 30, 2003 01:54 PM ET
    LONDON (Reuters Health) - Two out of three people presenting to British family doctors with unexplained fatigue do not meet the criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome, but the condition still significantly affects their life, researchers said on Friday.

Medical researcher Lucy Darbishire and colleagues from Guy's, King's and St. Thomas's School of Medicine in London collected data from 22 general practices in and around London on patients with unexplained fatigue lasting more than six months.

Applying the U.S. Centers for Disease Control Prevention criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome, the researchers found that 69 percent of patients did not have the condition.

Several symptoms, including fatigue and distress, were higher in the chronic fatigue syndrome group. People with the condition were also more likely to be depressed and more than twice as likely to be unemployed, Darbishire and colleagues write in the June issue of the British Journal of General Practice.

Nevertheless, 11 out of 12 symptoms assessed by the researchers were reported by more than 60 percent of the patients who did not have chronic fatigue syndrome, although those symptoms were less severe, the researcher told Reuters Health.

"I don't think we really found a characteristic difference. It really looked as if everything was just more severe in the CFS group. It supports that theory, really, that it's just another end of the spectrum," she said.

"I think the take home message is to remember that there are these two-thirds of patients that present with fatigue that don't meet criteria for CFS because they don't seem as severe, but they do actually have quite distinct illness."

Chronic fatigue syndrome is characterized by a range of symptoms including fatigue, headache, sleep problems, muscle pain and difficulty concentrating.

Patients with the condition, which can strike suddenly, often experience a marked increase in symptoms after only minor bouts of exertion.

The cause of chronic fatigue syndrome is uncertain.

SOURCE: British Journal of General Practice 2003;53:441-445
  2. sb439

sb439 New Member

how the headline seems to contradict the main result of the research (i.e. that it's all the same thing, but to different degrees), and rather sticks to the (stupid) definition of CFS?
    Also note that NO mention is made of any test abnormalities like immune deficiency, hypoadrenalism, heavy metal toxicity, etc. etc.!!!
    Also note that the main symptom is taken to be fatigue, i.e. the researchers seem not to have asked doctors about patients that may have had all the other defining criteria but not fatigue. This is likely to have skewed the research results. And one more reason for working towards changing the name of this dd.
    When will the British medical establishment learn?
    Arrrgh!!!!
    Susanne
    But many thanks for posting this Applyn, we need to know where we are at.[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I thought the article was rather pointless as well.
    It didn't say a whole lot. I was expecting a better conclusion but thought I would post it anyway.
    Lynn
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

It seems we are still in the stone ages, even though, there has been so much research to contradict this sad lack of knowledge out there...
  5. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

that article reminds me of the point of Andrew Connelys Book America Exhausted..
    his point is that we are on our way to a doomed society in that, what we eat, how we eat, lack of restorative sleep etc is going to cause majority populations of most modern countries with CFS...
    so the lesser symptomatic peoples dont have full blown CFS as in the disease, but they are chronically more fatigued than they should be in our fast paced, nutrient lacking lives of today.

irradiated food, enriched and white flour, fast food, etc etc...
    vital nutrients are not in the food they ate decades ago..
    the other key factor being western medicines approach of waiting till u are not feeling well then giving a pill to fix the problem..
    headache=aspirin...instead of getting to the root of the problem...often the aforementioned reasons causing them...

AND the rape and distruction to the sytem by years of antibiotic use.

Amy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

was much more accurate and people were diagnosed with post viral syndrome, post viral fatigue syndrome or M.E. Then along came a few psychiatrists and others who THOUGHT they knew all the answers. To validate their theories and treament regimes the diagnostic criteria became so broad that almost anyone who felt tired most of the time, or had seemingly unexplained symptoms fitted in with this new criteria.

Hence this article which in view of the history of CFS in the UK is not as bad as it seems. If the UK took the Canadian critieria on board then this confusion would cease.
    Hopefully that will happen soon.

At least the somatisation theory is gradually being elbowed out. Progress was being made in the UK until this reared it's ugly head again. It set us back for decades.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2003]