Chronic Fatigue Clinic in Seattle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Sep 19, 2002.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Hi. I haven't been on the board in awhile, but noticed there are a couple people in the Seattle area too. I just turned in my paperwork to get on the 6-8 month waiting list up at Harborview's Chronic Fatigue Clinic and was wondering if anyone has tried there program yet? Dr. Buchwald is the doctor there and it costs about $1100 for the first visit. They also believe in doing extensive blood work including viral testing which is something I've been wanting to get checked out.

By the way, I got my disability!! First time, no lawyer. My MRI did show a slight case of Chiari though, so that might have helped the approval. I strongly recommend those with CFS/FMS to get an MRI done to check for Chiari. My doctors thought I was nuts, and when they finally did the MRI and saw that my brain had slipped a bit, they were speechless. There seems to be a correlation between CFS/FMS and Chiari, remember the show they did on 20/20??? Anyone else on the board have Chiari as well?

Hope all is well with everyone and that you're having a good day!!!

~LISA
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Hi. I haven't been on the board in awhile, but noticed there are a couple people in the Seattle area too. I just turned in my paperwork to get on the 6-8 month waiting list up at Harborview's Chronic Fatigue Clinic and was wondering if anyone has tried there program yet? Dr. Buchwald is the doctor there and it costs about $1100 for the first visit. They also believe in doing extensive blood work including viral testing which is something I've been wanting to get checked out.

By the way, I got my disability!! First time, no lawyer. My MRI did show a slight case of Chiari though, so that might have helped the approval. I strongly recommend those with CFS/FMS to get an MRI done to check for Chiari. My doctors thought I was nuts, and when they finally did the MRI and saw that my brain had slipped a bit, they were speechless. There seems to be a correlation between CFS/FMS and Chiari, remember the show they did on 20/20??? Anyone else on the board have Chiari as well?

Hope all is well with everyone and that you're having a good day!!!

~LISA
  3. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I'm from the opposite side of the country here (Massachusetts) so I can't comment on the Seattle CFS Clinic. Wish they had one here!

Yes, I saw the 20/20 thing a couple of years ago. I did have an MRI done just to be sure. No Chiari. They did find I have two buldging disks (going inward) between C2 & C3 and C3 & C4. They are touching the spinal cord but since there is "no clear pressure" they don't want to operate.

Are you going to have the surgery for Chiari?

-Shoobie
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I'd like to try the Chronic Fatigue Clinic at Harborview and some other stuff first just to see if I get any better from that. It's hard because you don't know for sure where your symptoms are coming from so I'd rather them not open my head till the last resort. Seems kind of extreme. I've been feeling alright lately anyway, so until I get bedridden again, no, no surgery for me.

~LISA
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I'm from the penninsula side of Seattle, so I have to take the ferry to get to Seattle. I just heard of Harborview Hospital on Wednesday when I had to take that day long class at the American Red Cross to qualify for a license in this state to work. I'd like to know if they do any studies on FMS or have a clinic of docs that specifically work with FMS patients.Do they have a web site? I'll have to search and check it out.

Shoobie, I WAS from Massachusetts until I moved here. I lived in West Springfield where they have the Big E fair, which probably just finished. Are you from western MA?

dolsgirl
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2002]
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am in Tri Cities, about 4-5 hours drive from Seattle, I have been looking into going there, from what I have found the place there would be Fred Hutchinson Research Center, they have just recently been working with Univ of Wa in the area of autoimmune disorders, they have had stunning breakthroughs with Lupus, as has OHSU in Portland, Ore. I know a few people who have gone to Virginia Mason over there and gotten wrong diagnosis, wrong thyroid meds, a local Dr here who is an endocrinologist is very frustrated in what she is seeing as far as their treatment methods. Take it for what it is worth, I have not been there, I think they are probably good at a lot of diseases & treatments but I think Fibro/CFS is not the area of expertise.
    Also, I saw a "hyperbaric" treatment facility in Yelm, Wa, has anyone tried that???
    Jaci
  7. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I finally got a chance to go back to read some old posts and found this one that I didn't reply to!

I'm actually in southeastern MA. Whitman is a very small town south of Braintree and Weymouth but north of Bridgewater.

I would like to make it out to the Big E Fair sometime though!

How was the weather change for you going from MA to WA?

-Shoobie
  8. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I just lost my first post...so I will try again! Dolsgirl...I am also on the peninsula side. Dr. Teresa Anderson is Poulbo on Bond Road is a good doctor. She tries to keep current on fibro news and is open to learning more. The UW (Seattle) is always doing research and they have great doctors there...but if you are like I am, it's a pain to go over there regularly!!
    LynneH
  9. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I just lost my first post...so I will try again! Dolsgirl...I am also on the peninsula side. Dr. Teresa Anderson is Poulbo on Bond Road is a good doctor. She tries to keep current on fibro news and is open to learning more. The UW (Seattle) is always doing research and they have great doctors there...but if you are like I am, it's a pain to go over there regularly!!
    LynneH
  10. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I just got my acceptance letter from Harborview Medical Center and they said they'd contact me in 10 months for my initial appt. Yikes!! I hope it's worth it. I will let you all know what their treatment consists of and the meds involved. They won't tell me much about it, I tried to get specific asking which meds they use to treat with. I guess they wouldn't get their money if they told their "secret" program to everybody, huh.

Talk to you next year I guess!!

~LISA

[ advertisement ]