Chronic Fatigue not caused by XMRV - BBC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KerryK, Dec 20, 2010.

1. KerryK

KerryK Member

20 December 2010 Last updated at 09:33 ET
    Health reporter, BBC News

The virus is thought to derive from mice Continue reading the main story
    Related stories
    Blood donor ban for ME patients
    Study challenges ME 'virus link'
    ME virus discovery raises hopes
    A new study has cast further doubt on the idea that a virus called XMRV causes chronic fatigue syndrome.

US scientists linked the condition, also known as ME, to a mouse-like virus in 2009 after finding it in blood samples.

Now, UK experts say the discovery was a "false positive", caused by cross contamination in the lab.

The illness may still be caused by a virus, they say, but not the one at the centre of recent controversy.

"Our conclusion is quite simple: XMRV is not the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome," said Professor Greg Towers, a Wellcome Trust senior research fellow at University College, London, who led the research.

"It is vital to understand that we are not saying chronic fatigue syndrome does not have a virus cause - we cannot answer that yet - but we know it is not this virus causing it."

Mouse DNA

XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) is a virus found in mouse DNA.

It was discovered in 2006, and was later found in samples from some patients with prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Continue reading the main story
    The disease is thought to affect some 250,000 people in the UK
    Symptoms include extreme tiredness, problems with memory and concentration, sleep disturbances and mood swings
    There is currently no accepted cure and no universally effective treatment
    Source: ME Association
    This lead to suggestions that the virus might be the cause of these conditions.

A paper providing some evidence in support of a link between chronic fatigue syndrome and the virus was published in the leading journal Science last year.

In the latest work, the team, from London and the University of Oxford, used DNA sequencing methods to study XMRV.

They say their evidence, published in the journal Retrovirology, shows the virus found in patient samples arose from laboratory contamination.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
    It now seems really very, very unlikely that XMRV is linked to chronic fatigue syndrome”
    End Quote
    Professor Tim Peto

University of Oxford
    What is more, they think it is unlikely that the virus could actually infect people.

Professor Tim Peto, consultant in infectious diseases at the University of Oxford, said the original paper in Science came as a great surprise to experts.

"It came as a great surprise when XMRV was first suggested as being linked to chronic fatigue syndrome and it was imperative that further tests be done to see if the findings could be repeated," he said.

"There have now been a number of attempts which have failed to find the retrovirus in other samples, and this research suggests that in fact XMRV is probably a contamination from mouse DNA.

"These latest findings add to the evidence and it now seems really very, very unlikely that XMRV is linked to chronic fatigue syndrome."
  2. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

What a joke. The Greg Towers paper found XMRV "contamination" in a laboratory cell line derived from a human prostate cancer sample called 22Rv1. WPI has never worked with this cell line!

In addition, while Towers claims the cell line must have become contaminated with XMRV "during xenografting in mice", the possibility remains that the cell line came from a patient that had prostate cancer because they were infected with XMRV.

To go from "22Rv1 is contaminated with XMRV" to "XMRV is definitely not the cause of CFS" is an outright absurd leap of logic.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2010]
  3. spacee

spacee Member

My huz was all excited reading this to me. I told him that it was a bunch of ppl trying
    desperately to save their reputations and would write anything they could to try to do
    so. But their ship has sailed since HIV drugs are already being tested on XMRV in labs
    and ppl. Uk just looks more stupid every day.

4. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

By now we all realize the science being done on XMRV is very difficult and should be done with extreme care to avoid contamination. I have faith that Dr. Mikovits/WPI/Dr. Silverman/Dr. Roscetti, Cleveland Clinic/etc., Dr. Alter, Dr. Singh, etc. know how to avoid contamination and did/do so. Come on! These are extremely intelligent people! Plus if it was the least bit "iffy" the Science Journal would not have published Dr. Mikovits research in the first place would they. I found the UK headlines overstated and condemning. (that attitude from UK press is consistent IMHO) After reading some closer reviews of what their science papers say versus what the headlines said, I agree with spacee that it made them look more stupid.