Chronic Fatigue People Help Me Here!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, Nov 27, 2005.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Hi, I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatgue, however for a long time now, it has been a terrible bout with this dam chronic fatigue. This is much worse, which I didn't think it was, until I can't get hardly anything done for being so exhausted. I am now once again on the ant-biotics for the chronic sore throat/sinus infection, then the yeast will set in (story of my life)..I am just so plain disabilating tired. Sleep wake up, do a bit, then can't talk, run down, sleep again, can hardly focus or concentrate either. I know you get this all this with the fibro/ but wow this is unbelievable frusterating. Now with Xmas coming, we have things we would like to do, and bang, you know what?? we aint' doing what we would like to do, at least I am not...I feel so down because of it, so down. Getting married at next summer, hope I can be awake by then, this is a relapse for sure. I usually have long remissions, which I know I am lucky, but wow, I am certainly paying for it now. My fiance, has no problems with it, he is actually helping me and supporting with it. When I sleep, he covers me up, and when he can lies right down beside me...So happy and surprised to have found someone like this man to accept this...but I only pray I can come out of this now, feel like a bldg is holding me down sharon5650
  2. kalaya

kalaya New Member

What a brain drain this illness can be,and I am one of the lucky ones meaning that I suffer from cfids exclusively and have been spared the horror of fibro.I have been battling this illness for about 8 years now so do have a bit of experience at trying to cope and overcome the especialy fatiguing stretches.
    I use the herbs Astragalus and Siberian ginseng for immune system and adrenal gland support.You may very well find a bit of an uplift with the ginseng so I very much would suggest giving this a go.
    Also if this is at all possible considering your fibro and mobility limitations plus your limited energy due to the cfids it may be a benefit if you did practice yoga.Do not merely dismiss this as hocus pocus nonsense,yoga can be as good as any of the meds that the doctors could prescribe you.I have studied yoga now for about 3 and 1/2 years with excellent results.This is by no means a cure but I notice a measurable differance when I skip my yoga for any stretch of time.
    Now for the heavy artillery.Have you heard of Modafinil or Adderall?These are stimulant medications which could potentialy be a great benefit to you in the energy department.If you want to start slow then use Modafinil first and see if you can tolerate and connect well with this med,if you would need something stronger then you could graduate to Adderall which certainly packs more of a punch.Don't know how you feel about taking meds like these or if you prefer to stay away from meds and would rather take a more holistic angle on trouble shooting the physical weakness.
    If you are ok with trying meds than have a go with Modafinil,if you feel weird with this med than just ditch it.Hope this is some level of aide to you.God bless.
  3. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I'm sorry you're suffering such a horrendous relapse at this time of year. It is so terribly frustrating, and I still get very angry when I get side-lined by these bouts of fatigue. I'm used to the day-to-day level of fatigue I've had for so long, but then those overwhelming days/weeks come along and you feel like you may not survive it. I truly hope you are able to bounce back before xmas. I'm sure I don't need to preach pacing and energy conservation around here, but they will make a difference. I haven't found any of the anti-depressant meds to be helpful, but I haven't specifically been on the ones mentioned. Perhaps they would help.
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Wow.... thank God you DO have a wonderful guy there, if he is that supportive and loving through all of this!

I have some ideas; don't know how helpful they will be for YOU, as we are all different, but here they are anyway, if you want to try 'em:

First off, if you're ill with infections and on antibiotics, there is a BIG part of your problem. When your body is fighting an infection, it will drain you of your energy because it's using that energy on the war against the illness! And antibiotics will usually make you a little more tired, too. So hopefully, when the infections are gone and the antibiotics are finished, you should start to feel better.

To help guard against the yeast infections, consider a good probiotic. Acidophilus works WELL for this! Start taking it daily and you may rid yourself of yeast infections forever! (Someone else out there please correct me if I'm wrong about this..... I personally haven't taken Acidophilus in a long time, and I'm kinda foggy today, so let me know if I'm giving incorrect info here!) I'm lucky; I rarely have a problem with yeast, personally.

I take 200 mg a day of Provigil, which is a (prescription) stimulant. Actually, let me correct myself: I have been PRESCIBED 200 mg per day, which helps a LITTLE, so what I do is.... I usually don't take it at all unless I NEED it or I'm going to be very busy that day and know I WILL need it, then I take 400 mg. BANG!!! LOVE the results on that dose! My dr. won't prescribe 400 mg daily because he says that he has me on "the legal limit", but 200 mg a day doesn't get me through the ENTIRE day if I'm super-busy.

Are you sleeping well at night? I have many nights when I toss & turn, or wake up frequently, which has a direct effect on how awake or tired you will be the next day. You may want to consider having a sleep study done, if you haven't already. If they discover sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, etc., that could be your culprit or at least part of the problem. There are meds and other therapies for that.

Also, if you are having trouble sleeping at night, a soak in a hot tub is THE BEST cure for this! IF you happen to be as blessed as I am and have a hot tub, soak for about 20 minutes or so last thing before going to bed.

If you are like most people and don't have a hot tub, you can fill your bathtub with very warm water (as warm as you can stand) and add some aromatherapy oils, herbs, or whatever, such as lavender, chamomile, etc. If you want a cheap and easy way to do this that will also add bubbles and gently cleanse your skin, get some Johnson's Bedtime Bath for babies. It has lavender and chamomile in it, smells beautiful, is very gentle on the skin (it was designed for babies!), and very relaxing. If you squeeze some into the tub under the running water..... ta-da! You have a bubble bath! Add some relaxing aromatherapy candles to the room and turn off the lights........ AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Also, Wal-Mart makes their own version, called Equate, that is just as good as Johnson's and only about a buck for a bottle that will last through several baths! You can find it at Wal-Mart right next to the Johnson's Bedtime Bath; purple bottle. Fill the tub as full as you can, with the water as hot as you can take it, and slump down in there so that the water is up to your chin. Soak for about 20 minutes, or longer, if you like. You may be surprised at how relaxed you feel when you step out! AND, if you are experiencing any muscle/soft tissue aches and pains from the Fibro, the soak can help the pain melt away! It works wonders for me!

Are you drinking plenty of water? 6-8 glasses per day? If you aren't, you should try to MAKE yourself do it. Water has almost ENDLESS benefits, including giving you more energy! Because if you're not getting enough water, you could be dehydrated without ever knowing it, and that will certainly make you tired. Also, if you want to BUY water to drink, make sure it says SPRING water on the bottle; that's the best for the body.

Water also helps you lose weight AND cellulite, improves the condition of your skin, eases any gastrointestinal issues (especially IBS and/or constipation!), and just generally makes your entire body healthier and FEEL better overall!

Well, that's all I can think of for now. My brain-fog is getting worse, so I'll shut up now. lol

If I think of any more "tips" for ya, I'll come back and let you know! I hope some of this helps! Take care and good luck!

Hugs!
    Starr

p.s. Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming marriage!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  5. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

about your current feelings. I can embathize. Never thought we wouldn't be able to talk one day did we? Have yo tried bee pollen? I have had good luck with that. I take two in the morning--not sure now what the dosage is. Also, I noticed someone said to get you a hot tub full of the warmest water you could stand--I cannot do that as this puts me in a relapse and makes me feel worse for about two days. Heat has a very adverse effect on me--cold natured but can't stand to get too warm, sucks doesn't it? Thought you might consider that. Glad you are blessed with a gentleman who cuddles and comforts you--your knight. Eating plenty of small, chipped ice has helped me as well as plenty of good ole pulp orange juice to get energy. i really would think about getting too hot if you haven't had this experience before. The warmth feels so good--like an electric blanket on low, then alternate that with ice packs made from 3 parts water and 1 part menthol rubbing alcohol that's been frozen until slushy hard. These get slushy hard but not solid. Of course do not forget the obvious--pray, and I will also, right now. TC
  6. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

You must not have small children! I'm truly not laughing at your advice (and I need to check out that website). I was just imagining how fantastic it would be to spend even eight uninterrupted hours in bed in one day. Ahhhhh...
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2005]
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The absolute best way to deal with your relapse is to REST, it will save your life, without a doubt. And as you say, you have a child that needs attention, what else can you do? I applaud you and send you hugs. Marie
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

When my sister and I were young, our mother would lie across the bed with her head at the edge of the bed and her hair hanging down the side of the bed. She would give us a brush and have us brush her hair. She said that kept us occupied and 'in sight' long enough for her to get a little rest.
  9. kch64

kch64 New Member

Try NADH or COQ10. They may help.