Chronic Fatigue Syndroms and ADD/ADHD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swiss, May 10, 2011.

1. swiss

swiss New Member

I have fibro and CFS. I am also realizing that I have had ADHD since I was a child. I am wondering how many others have both. Also, does the ADHD trigger/contribute to the development of CFS- always needing lots of stimulation and running an adrenalin. I wonder if the ADHD burns us out?
  2. Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans New Member

I started taking Adderall for ADHD symtoms when I did some research for alternatives to Lyrica and other medications for my fibromyalgia. I had been diagnosed ADHD several years before but the medication I had been prescribed then didn't help (I think the dosage was too high). The difference was phenomenal. Anywho, through trial and error I ended up on Dexedrine which has been a lifesaver for me. No pain, clearer thinking, less oversensitivity to physical stimuli, sleeping like a baby and alleviated allergy symptoms. I adjust the dosage slightly up or down as I need to on good or bad days. The
    key word here is SLIGHTLY. I still can overdo myself if I push too hard (like moving furniture in and out of storage by myself) and it isn't perfect but I would say that I am 98% which isn't too bad. Plus if I miss a few days I still have no pain although I do lose word recall (which I do when the medicine wears off toward the end of the day).

The Dexedrine keeps me from being hyper-focused like the Adderall did. Driving a car while on Adderall was a scary thing--gave whole new meaning to being in your own little world for me! And it made me monotone... no smiling, no frowning, just there. The dexedrine let's me focus on what I am doing but take in other stimuli at the same time although less overwhelming than without the medication. And I have my range of emotions lol!

I don't believe in adult onset ADD/ADHD... I believe our coping skills just become obsolete LOL! And you may be right... maybe we do get burned out.

One herbal remedy that worked for me when I couldn't get to my doctor for a refill was Mucuna Pruiens (l-dopa). While not as strong it did help me cope well and function reasonably. NADA worked well too :) but it was more expensive.[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2011]