Chronic Fatigue/verses Fibro Pain ??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

For a long time now, the pain has been leaving me, now the chronic fatigue symtoms are debilitating. Chronic sore throat,at times feeling like coming out of anashetic, flu like syptoms, no planning of things lately, only be able to do one thing a day if possible, infections all the time, yeast, nasal congestion, post nasal drip, headaches, just exhausted at times, cancelling appts. Now only looking into a natropathic doctor, no more GP for me. Need to start to take this serious as I do know some of you are using and swear by this. Have recently met someone in my life who I adore, and can't even enjoy at times, for feeling so guily for being so tired, and worried all the time about being tired, and not being able to do things with him...Oh what a dam shame, but now so determined to get at least somewhat down to the "WHY" and not just treat the dam symptoms.......sharon5650
  2. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

Your post sounds exactly like I could have wrote it. I too have both CFS & FM. It is hard not to get depressed sometimes. I tried to do an activity with my family this weekend and just when everyone was having so much fun, I just gave out, completely, it was over.

It is unbelievable to me how these diseases can just put you down flat and in no time at all. I know better than to try to do anything physical but sometimes I just miss it so bad that I can't help myself. Now, as you can imagine, I feel like I'm dying.

I get so sick of taking all the drugs and dealing with their side effects but I honestly can't take the pain without something, I've tried and even though I have a very high pain toloerance, I just can't do it.

It's very hard to accept these diseases and their effects on us. It's so hard to give up a way of life that you love and become a sliver of the person you were. My goal today is to try and vacuum the whole house. By the time I get done, my back & hips will be hurting so bad I won't be able to move.

If your like me, you try not to let others know how bad your suffering because you don't want to bum them out or worry them when you know there is nothing that can be done about it.

Your right, it is just a dam shame! It's so maddening, frustrating, depressing, aggravating, upsetting, everything. I hate it.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Sharon ....

Hang in there girl! ... In my case, things were reversed. My CFS got under control first and now I'm wrapping things up on my fibro.

Don't totally bail on your GP. If you haven't taken a protocol of anti-virals you're likely going to need them.

The steps I took weren't my creation ... many went before me ... Dr Chaney is the first expert that comes to mind.

Anyway, I took valtrex and then famvir for a total of a year and then switched to other, non-rx things, ie colostrum, whey protein concentrate and Transfer Factors.

They way it was explained to me is you need the anti-virals to kill of the pathogens and then switch to the non-rx protocol to build up your immune system plus teach your own immune system to recognize and deal with the pathogens themselves ... hopefully you won't need to go back to anti-viral rx'es over and over again.

My EBV numbers were retested and are showing a good range. To me there is a hugh difference in CFS pain and fibro pain. CFS indeed feels like you have a fever of 103 and hurt all over. Fibro feels like you have multi muscle, tendon and ligament tears.

I hope you feel better soon. I have found a mix of both worlds has worked very well for me. Maybe you can find a MD that is integrated or at least knowledgable on treating CFS.

As for "masking" symptoms .... Well, I say ABSOLUTELY! I don't want to experiences the joys of pain and excessive daytime sleepiness while taking treatments for infections or balancing hormones. I wanted to live life as best I could while undergoing treatment. It's quality of life.

I always try to keep in mind that whichever helthcare method I use ... all of them to an extent mask/treat symptoms. No one knows what causes CFS/FM ... until they do, all we have is masking/treating. At any given time, no matter which way we go, this chronic illness can come roaring back ... therefore, I'm going to treat what I can and masking what I can in order to live as normal a life as I can.

Anyway, didn't mean to go there so strongly. I really meant to say ... hang in there with your doc as part of a team of healthcare providers. Let them help you kill off the pathogens so an ND can help you build up your immune system.

I hope this rant helps in some possible way. ... and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

Hi sharon5650, little bit off topic but I looked at your profile and see that we share the same birthday Dec 16

I hope you feel better soon.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Sharon,
    I so feel for you. It is the same with me. Chronic Fatigue is much more debilitating, most of the time, than Fibro is.

A couple of days ago I found out that my meditation group is getting together to see a video, have a pot luck, and then they are going over to someone's house to see a movie. I would so much love to go, and I feel so left out, as that is my only social group. But, I know if I do go, I will suffer for months, and if anyone there has a sore throat or is carrying a virus, I will get it, and there go 3 to 4 months of being really sick. So, I won't go. I really cried over this one. I feel like the kid who is never permitted to join her friends, and is always on the outside looking in.

Yesterday I was trying to straighten up the house because my cousin is coming for a visit. After a few minutes I couldn't even walk erect, and had to rest after every 5 minutes of activity. When things finally looked O.K., I forgot to close the door leading to the kity litter box and my dog went in for a treat, scattering litter all over, and then throwing everything up in the livingroom. I lost it, totaly. I even screamed:"I can't do it any more!". Boy, am I glad I live alone!!!! LOL I felt better after that..

I would encourage you to find a good Naturopathic doctor. Tht could really make a difference. Right now I'm praying that one will more to within an hour of my house, so I can go to one, too.

God bless you, and Happy Thanksgiving. I send you big hugs.
    Terry

6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have severe fibro,cannot do any housework etc.I am much like you describe with the cfs.I can only spend a few minutes on the computer as I cannot sit in an erect position that long.

I hope that you don't take offense.I just feel like we can talk to each other on this board as we can't do in public.Hope everybody has a wonderful thanksgiving.Linda
  7. Charleneyz1984

Charleneyz1984 New Member

Hi Sharon,
    I had the conversation of which is worse the other day with my hubby, A couple of months ago i couldnt cope with the CFS as the summer made it so bad and i said that was worse but now the summer has gone cfs is a little (by no means alot) better but the pain is unbearable and i am wondering now if the pain is worse! I think its a case of whatever is worse on the day! As the awful symptoms of both when being experienced can make you feel so low and depressed at the time! Anyone else agree??

keep your chin up

Hugs
    Charlene
    xxxxxxx
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I agree with Elsa, you've got to find out what viruses and bacteria you have.

Stormy is right too -- candida can really cause you problems and make you miserable.

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I lived with it for years until I found the Fibro and Fatigue Center.

They seem to test for things other places don't. Whether it takes getting your own doctor to test for viruses and lyme --- especially lyme through Igenex lab --- find one who will cooperate with you.

Sandy
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

I agree on how devastating the CFS fatigue can be. It has RUINED my life

I cannot plan anything

The meds seem to make it worse, so I stopped all

I think I am going to try working on my diet, because I eat WAY too much sugar, and I am hypoglycemic, so I think this is a part of the problem

We need to find a nutrionist
  10. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

11. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Of course you didn't offend me.

I'm really sorry your Fibo is so bad. I know I'm really lucky. Somehow my body really responds to aloe vera juice, and that seems to keep my pain down, at least most of the time.

God luck finding a Dr. who can help you. When you do, please ask him/her if he knows of a Dr. in Northern California, north of Sacramento.

God bless,
    Terry
  12. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i just posted a long, rambling post that sort of parallels this one. my understanding and belief is that CFS is where we get the flu-like symptoms including the diffuse, all-over body pain, fever, sore throat, etc. i've found that i can avoid most of those symptoms through a natural approach and by not over-stimulating my immune system. the fibro pain is the flaring pain that often moves around the body - legs - buttocks - back - and worsens with over-exertion (ie. walking, aerobic exercise). i would say that day to day, CFS is more debilitating (who can function with the flu?!), but fibro is no picnic. cfs seems to be a dysfunction of the immune system while fibro seems to be a dysfunction of the nervous system. not sure why anyone bothers with rheumatologists; neither of these illnesses fall into that realm.

eddie
  13. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

no, there is no test for cfs either. we're all just guessing here, but my cfs pain tends to leave me bedridden (again, like the flu), while fibro pain is more of a constant aching annoyance with an occassional flashing pain. if you have the headaches, sore throats, etc (viral like symptoms), it sounds like you have cfs. when you are NOT experiencing those symptoms, if you still hurt, then you likely have fibro as well. while some people will tell you their different manifestations of the same illness, others believe they are distinct and seperate.

eddie