chronic fatigue vs. chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaJones, Oct 10, 2010.

1. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

What is the difference between chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Chronic fatigue is a symptom which is found in many illnesses (ie the Flu, common cold, cancer, depression, anemia, Lupus, Parkinsons, etc.). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an illness which has many symptoms, including chronic fatigue.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

is that chronic fatigue is simply being tired all the time for an extended period of time (many things cause this and rest usually helps, as does fixing the underlying problems)

CFS is a seriously disabling illness that includes a ton of other serious symptoms & the fatigue is much, much more severe and not relieved by rest ....there are several different diagnoses, which is part of the reason so many people are confused about it, but the best one by far is the Canadian Consensus Criteria for ME/CFS......I don't have the link handy but it should show up if you google it

The Canadian criteria for ME/CFS rightfully defines it as a neuroimmune disorder

basically, take all the signs/symptoms of MS (inc brain lesions), a similar immune profile to HIV, major sleep issues (often similar to narcolepsy), cognitive symptoms, and a whole bunch of other issues, add mitochondria that do not work rt, therefor not producing the energy needed to make the body work, and extreme post exertional malaise (which is another stupid term, but anything can qualify as exertion when one has ME/CFS, and any form of exertion can lead to major symptoms and pretty much totally non-functioning bodies)
  4. norris2

norris2 New Member

OR similiar to the difference between a small pond and the Atlantic Ocean.

CFS involves not only severe fatigue but orthostatic intolerance, neurological problems, extreme sensitivity to movement, light etc. Thinking can make you physically ill. Talking or reading can make you physically ill. Excercise or any normal daily activity almost always makes everything much worse, sometimes days later.

Your brain feels like there is an electrical storm going on inside. All these things make you aggitated. It is almost impossible to stand upright for any length of time. Often, you get every infection you are in contact. You can sleep soundly for 12 hours a night for a week and wake up feeling like you are dying and often wish you were, etc., etc., etc.

CFS is an a ridiculous name for this evil disease. The fact that CFS could be confused for "chronic fatigue" shows that the public just has no idea, which is why we are ignored.

I suspect that if you are asking this question, you do not have CFS.[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2010]