Chronic Fatigue vs. Chronic Mono

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manaleon, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between chronic fatigue and chronic mono. I can't really find much about chronic mono/ebv on the web. Thank you for your help.
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

For a full understanding of "Chronic Mono" vs. "Chronic Fatigue", I would highly recommend reading "Osler's Web" by Hillary Johnson.

In a nutshell, people with CFS (before it was named that) had chronic "re-activation" (or active replication) of the Epstein-Barr virus. EBV is the virus that causes Mono.

Since the virus was chronically, actively replicating and the symptoms resembled mono, doctors started calling it Chronic Mono. The CDC later renamed the illness "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".

Research has repeatedly shown that PWCFS have dysfunctional immune systems and MANY common viruses are actively replicating.

I don't know of any researcher who still believes that EBV is the cause of CFS.

The immune system dysfunction that allows the replication of EBV and other viruses is a hallmark of CFIDS.

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)
  3. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Thank you both very much. I have osler's web on my amazon wish list lol i will read it one of these days.

-June
  4. upnorth

upnorth New Member

Recent research out of Austrailia indicates that certain infections (of which acute mono (caused by epstein barr virus) is one) go on to develop into cfs in 10-11% of cases:

I've added the study here it you're interested....

Epstein-Barr virus and other acute infections implicated in chronic fatigue
    New research provides strong evidence for a causative role of acute infections such as Epstein-Barr virus in triggering chronic fatigue syndrome.

Based on their findings, the researchers suggest that the key risk factor for post-infective fatigue syndrome is the severity of the acute illness, rather than age, sex or psychological factors.

Although chronic fatigue syndrome is commonly reported to develop after an acute infective illness, many case-control studies have failed to find consistent associations between chronic fatigue syndrome and either known or novel infectious agents, explain Andrew Lloyd, an infectious diseases physician at the University of New South Wales’ School of Medical Sciences, and colleagues.

To investigate the risk factors, symptom patterns and longitudinal course of prolonged illnesses after a variety of acute infections, Dr Lloyd’s team conducted a prospective cohort study following patients from the time of acute infection with Epstein-Barr virus (glandular fever), Coxiella burnetii (Q fever) or Ross River virus (epidemic polyarthritis – a mosquito-borne arbovirus found in countries around the Pacific rim). The participants were from the region surrounding the township of Dubbo in rural Australia, encompassing a 200km geographical radius and 104,400 residents, including approximately 8 per cent Aboriginal Australians.

A total of 253 patients were followed at regular intervals over 12 months by self-report, structured interview and clinical assessment. Detailed medical, psychiatric and laboratory evaluations were conducted at six months to apply diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome.
    The researchers found that prolonged illness characterised by disabling fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, neurocognitive difficulties and mood disturbance was evident in 29 (12 per cent) participants at six months, of whom 28 (11 per cent) met the diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome.

The team noted, "This post-infective fatigue syndrome phenotype was stereotyped and occurred at a similar incidence after each infection." They added that the syndrome was predicted largely by the severity of the acute illness, and not by demographic, psychological or microbiological factors.

Dr Lloyd and colleagues concluded, "A relatively uniform post-infective fatigue syndrome persists in a significant minority of patients for six months or more after clinical infection with several different viral and non-viral micro-organisms. Post-infective fatigue syndrome is a valid illness model for investigating one pathophysiological pathway to chronic fatigue syndrome."