Chronic Kidney Stones any ideas on treatment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi friends,
    My brother had Kidney Cancer last year. After being opertated on, luckily he is so far, cancer free.

He is a quadrapeligic. He now has chronic kidney stones and has not had good enough treatment yet to prevent them. They are really coming on alot now. He drinks tons of water but it has not seemed to made any difference.

He takes monthly Calcium supplements. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or treatment ideas for him.

JUst thought I'd ask here.

Hugs
    Kim
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I haven't had these, at least not yet, but my friend did. He ended up having to cut down on his antacid-calcium pills and protein. Something about the protein causing your body to keep more calcium in the blood because the protein will make you acidic and your body uses the calcium to balance the ph, it helps make the blood more alkaline. So make sure your brother doesn't gorge himself on protein. But it is also linked with calcium deficiency because your body will pull calcium out of your bones to normalize the blood if necessary. Remember osteoporosis? It's main cause is too much protein.

I thought this was amusing, on healingdaily.com. It's a "natural health" website:

"The easiest way to do a kidney cleanse is to purchase 20 to 100 pounds of watermelon (a few huge melons), sit in a bath filed with water, eat as much of the watermelon as you can throughout the day, while regularly emptying your bladder. Using this procedure, people have dissolved big stones, and then passed small kidney stones out of their body. Note that this kidney cleanse is not suitable for diabetics."

I have no idea if it'll work but I thought it was interesting, sounds like fun!

And the Edgar Cayce method of dealing with stones is watermelon seed tea! Here it is:

"But at least once a day, three days a week, do take watermelon seed tea as a part of the water. This would be prepared by pouring a pint of boiling water over a tablespoonful of watermelon seed (ground or cut) and allowing it to steep. Let it cool, then strain and drink."

This next isn't info for your brother, just if someone else wants an easy way to pass a stone so they looked here: I helped my friend pass a stone while he was in the hospital because he didn't want them to operate. I found a site by a guy who did it by jumping. My friend had the xray of the stone and it was in the middle of the tube. So he drank alot of water and started jumping, like once in the air every half hour or 15 minutes (can't remember) and land on your feet "hard" to help move the stone down the tube. You drink water and keep emptying your bladder. Be careful about peeing out all your electrolyes without replacing them if it takes awhile. The water builds up behind the stone and helps to push it along. He passed it in a few hours. It was huge with a big "hook" on the end. Just FYI for anybody interested. If this had not worked, he was going to try the lemon juice next.
    But you're supposed to drink 8 oz of fresh squeezed lemon every hour for about 12 hours to dissolve them and I don't think anyone can do this! And it's also for calcium stones, you'd have to have a lab determine that for sure.

Just in case anyone is wondering, my friend's doctor approved this method and was pleasantly surprised when it worked.

Just a couple suggestions you could look into.

good luck, hi to your brother

karen
  3. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Take a look at a website called ohf.org (I hope I got it right). They advocate a low oxalate diet if you have a problem with kidney stones. Of course, there are different kinds of kidney stones, but if this sounds like his he should try the diet. I found out about it thru the Vulvar Pain Foundation. There is also a link with this and FM. My brother and my father have had kidney stones and I had the other symptoms. The low oxalate diet helps me tremendously and might help him a lot.

Over the holidays I ate a lot of high oxalate foods (chocolate, nuts, beets,spinach) and am still feeling the effects. There is a list of high oxalate foods at that website. The Vulvar Pain Foundation has an excellent cookbook with a comphensive up to date list.

I sure hope this helps him. Also, calcium is good because it binds with oxalates. Thye recommend calcium citrate.
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

I get them all the time. I have been threatened by my urologist that I had better be drinking 2lites of water a day. I am also on calcium. I tried the low oxylate diet and it was more what I couldn't eat than could eat and I got really sick from it. If he gets them really often can he have someone flush out his bladder with water once a week? Or make sure his catheter is kinking when he is in bed. Just some thoughts.
    Cath
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I have had 3 large stones now in the last 7 years. Two of my friends also have them about every 3 years. We are in our 60s.

Your brother's doctor will first have to determine the type of stone being formed, but most are calcium oxolate.

I'm not aware of any treatments whatsoever. We are all told to drink lots of water, which we do. The stones come anyway. Some urologists say to put a little fresh lemon juice in it. Some say not to take calcium supplements. Most say milk products are ok.

Mostly, urologists are as useless as doctors who see us for fatigue, but they are most sympathetic, and they can do procedures to remove the stones. In my experience, those procedures are almost as bad as just passing it using massive amounts of pain medicine.

Interesting site on oxolate, Prunella, thanks.
  6. marmayer

marmayer Member

I had multiple stones about 25 years ago. I had a cysto with stones extracted and an open kidney surgery(pyelonephrotomy). I had a 24 hour urine test and had passed about 17 small stones without even knowing! Later I had a parathyroid hormone level done and it came back very elevated. I had a parathyroidectomy for multple adenomas and my stones resolved. It sure was a lot of surgery in a short period of time though. So if you have not had one yet I suggest a PTH level-soon!
    Take care, Marmar
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you all very much for the info. I have forwarded all of it to my brother.

He drinks so much water and they still have not figured out why he gets so many, so frequently.

He eats very well too. If they are calcium deposits,, then it just seems that the calcium meds he takes monthly, would add to the stones. It probably does not work like that though.

Hugs
    Kim
  8. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

My dad has chronic kidney stones and he's been stone free with a few changes.

No dairy (your friend may want to try cutting down those calcium supplements--those alone may be contributing).

Cranberry Juice (though you have to drink a LOT of it). My dad no longer uses this, but he did at first with very good results.

Celery seed tea. This one replaced the cranberry. He has a cup of this and it breaks up uric acid (also good for joint pains for some people). I think he only drinks it every now and then, but he was drinking it everyday at the start.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Years ago I also had chronic kidney stones.

The key to know how to prevent them from recurring is to find out the chemical makeup of each stone you pass.

If you think you have a stone, you should be straining all of your urine. If you are at home, the stone should be taken to you doc to have it analyzed at a lab -- that is, if the stone is large enough to see.

If you are in the hospital and they think you have a stone, then they will strain all urine, of course.

I had various types of stones -- a calcium oxolate (? sp.) stone, so I had to cut down on milk, etc.; I had a stone with a lot of phosphorus and had to cut out a lot of green veggies and other food that I did not know had phosphorus in it; and I had struvite stones which were caused by infection--then I ended up being put on antibodics for a year in order to get rid of the infection totally.

So, if your brother is not seeing a Urologist for his stones, or a Nephorolgist, he might want to think about consulting one of them re his chronic stones.

Drinking tons of water is ALWAYS good for the kidneys, but sometimes you are getting the stones from the FOOD you are eating and/or chronic infections.

Good luck to him. (NOT a good way to start out a New Year!!)

P.S. If you have never had kidney stone pain ... it is severe--just like labor pains!!