Chronic low back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 2, 2010.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I am about to give up and throw in the towel. For over a month I have had hideous pain in my lower back. It is coming from my gluteus maximus I believe. Usually it is better first thing in the morning, and sometimes when I have been sitting a while and first get up, but if I stand for any length of time I am in pain!!! I am unable to take many pain pills so I am dealing with the pain without medication. I also have scoliosis and osteoporosis. It's a triple whammy with my fibromyalgia! Does anybody have a suggestion?
  2. klarry

klarry New Member

I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself. I just turned 65. I have had back issues all my life, but the episode I am having now is unending. I worry that it is an issue with osteoporosis (I take medication for this), but the exercise I normally do I can't do when I'm in so much pain. It's a catch 22. Anyway I am happy to hear from others who have similar distress.
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I feel for you. I have 6 herniated discs, nerve root compression, spinal stenosis and arthritis. I do take rx meds. Have to. Would be unable to move at all. Years ago they had me lie on the floor with palms down at my side...knees bent. Then SLOWLY and GENTLY roll your knees from side to side keeping the knees together. As you can tolerate. I also did the cat arches where youre on all fours and arch your back like a cat does and after the count of 10 unarch. Do it as tolerated. For the sciatic pain they said to curl into a fetal position. That was a catch 22 for me tho. I dont kno if you can tolerate any of was just in my bag of tricks. Hope you feel better soon!
  4. friendly_face

friendly_face New Member

I have had the epidurals in my lower back three times now. It took away a good deal of the pain. I have trouble with medications myself so the epidural has brought me much relief compared to before. Have you looked into that? I got it done with guided x-ray. I just had one done two months ago and it is still helping.

I also use an exercise ball every day for gentle stretching. I even sit on the ball while at the computer. My doctor said a lot of the pain we can't help, but the stronger our core musles are, the less pain we'll have. I have an apple shape and have had four kids so a lot of belly.

Standing is hard for me as well. I use a rolling stool/chair for the kitchen.

Since this is a newer pain, perhaps you should get checked out to see if there isn't anything new going on. I hope you get some relief for that. It's possible it is sciatica. The epidural helped that as well.
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Woodlock Oil with Cloves, yes you have to rub it on but it is the best thing I have found in my 50 years with back problems or neck, shoulders.

It is made in China, I order online. If you cannot find the one with clove oil in it, buy the regular then go to cake shop and buy a tiny bottle of clove oil and add about teaspoon or a bit more to the bottle.

This is a life saver for pain. Since my pain meds were recently taken from me, I am using it again. A friend from Africa brought me my first bottle because I had migraines. She put just a tiny bit on the back of my neck and rubbed til it warmed, migraine gone.
  6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Just bump
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

first get a ct scan so u can see where the injury is. Alot of back pain comes from the facet joints at the back of the spine, if this is the case then u can get a facet joint injection with a loacl anaesthetic with cortisone in it. If this really is the source of your pain the local will take all the pain away for about 6 hours and u will feel great, then it may take a few days for the cortisone to start to work. These injections can be done every 3-4 months, if these injections work u can also get a medial branch block where the nerve that causes the pain to the particular facet joint is burnt off and reduces pain more permanently then facet joint injections. Some people to get good long term pain relief with just the facet joint injections. Otherwise i just use slow release tramal for pain relief. I have just had a third facet joint injection which has helped and when pain worsens again im going to have the medial branch block done.

8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've had so many sports accidents in my life that along with fibro, cfs, lupus, coming off a horse, etc., my back is a big issue, so every night, I have a big ice pack & lay on it for over an hour, and that helps.

But I can't do any kind of exercise; not even picking up something can trigger the pain. So I live like a zombie!!