Chronic Lyme on Dr Phil Show Fri April 13

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Brooke Landau, a weathercaster who had a very severe case of chronic lyme disease is going to be on the show.

I hear that there will also be a Lyme literate MD and someone from the IDSA ( the ones who say that chronic lyme does not exist).

Check your local listings for time.

I urge everyone to watch.
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

will DVR and watch. :)
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You are both welcome!

I heard that the chronic lyme segment will be on the 2nd half of the show.

PITATOO Member

Was not there also Rob Cress from a Detroit News Station? Seems to jog my memory 20 years ago or so.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Here is a link to a prohealth article about the new lyme culture test by Advanced Laboratory Services in Sharon Hill, PA....

Here is another prohealth article that is even more recent and has even more info:

I think you will have to copy and paste these links into your address bar.

6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Dr Phil's show on Chronic Lyme disease today was actually pretty good.

He did not have time to address the political/financial/insurance/conflict of interests that surround the subject though.

He did have 3 guests that told their horror stories of chronic lyme infection and how serious it is. They talked about going from Dr to Dr getting a myriad of diagnosis that were incorrect.

He had a lyme literate MD who told how long term antibiotics do help people recover.

He had an IDSA Dr who says chronic lyme does not exist......give me a break!!!

I hope alot of people watched and will go to Dr Phil's website to leave comments on the community message board about the show.

I am hoping he will do another show on chronic lyme to talk about the aspects that he did not have time for and to help educate the public about how inaccurate standard lyme tests are and how flawed the IDSA guidelines are.

There are hundreds of thousands of people misdiagnosed and undiagnosed who are suffering!!!
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

The test should show a positive result if you still have active infection.

I am not an expert on this new test, but you could contact Advanced Laboratory Services. There should be some contact info in the links I posted earlier.

If you have had known tick bites and have many lyme symptoms, it is likely that you have tick-borne infections.

Most people do not have just lyme....they have several infections.

I don't think insurance covers the new test, but you can ask the lab.

Do you mind saying which state you live in if you are in the USA?
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I looked at my list of LLMD's and I see a few Dr's mentioned for TN. They may not be the well known ones, and it looks like they may be family practioners that happen to know more about lyme than most Dr's.

There is a well known LLMD in Missouri.

I don't have a way of getting this info to you on this board since we can't post LLMD names publically, but if you go to on flash discussion....sign up for sure that when you are signing up you enable private messages....then go to the "Seeking a Doctor" board on lymenet and create a post asking for a LLMD in Tennessee or nearby states, I can reply to you privately.
    Put the state(s) that you are requesting in the title of your post so it is easy to see.

I am Dekrator48 on

I agree, that you could request the standard lyme tests first if you want....however if it comes back negative, the Dr will dismiss the possibility of lyme forever...and if it comes back positive, he won't know how to treat you long term like it would require.
  9. cal-bunnygirl

cal-bunnygirl New Member

Yes, I agree with you Leah. I did like the show too.

And I do agree that there are some people who feign illness due to psychological problems, BUT......the reality is that when people have illness, in general they are shunned, ridiculed, abandoned, blamed and in many instances, left impoverished. I've done loads of research on this phenomena. It's a common occurence found in every culture throughout time. Many people live in fear and denial about their control over mortality and disease. Throughout time many fearful people blame illness on character. Even today, with all our scientific knowledge that proves that character or attitude have no significant effect on health or healing except in motivation and self care issues. Personally, I don't know anyone with Lyme or CFIDS who has gained anything from being ill. I do know many who have lost most everything and yet still contain character and strength and put forth enormous effort into getting well.

I hope that more people will believe in science as times moves on. But, I do think that it seams to be an inherent weakness in many humans to attack things they fear and when they fear illness, unfortunately, they attack people who are ill or cling to a superstitious idea that they are mentally strong enough or live in enough denial to somehow escape the notion they are biological creatures and are susceptible to disease just like all other biological life forms.

I know I have gone off on a tangent here. hehe.

I like Dr Phil. I like that he was supportive to his worker. I don't think he has expertise in chronic health issues. Also chronic health issues don't sell so it's hard to do shows that don't promote a happy ending when it comes to health. So, I'm glad they did a good job overall. Good to have more and more baby steps towards more awareness. I don't have lyme but I was glad to see the show.
  10. joanierav

joanierav Member

i thought dr. phil did a very good job. i like him, and think he is a good man. i support anything that brings awareness to our illnesses , in a good light.

i was happy to be watching it, while i was getting my very boring 6 hrs. gamma globulin infusion, until the nurse came over and said she would have to turn it off as it was upsetting the other patients who were getting their infusions.

so i only got to watch it for about 10 min.

love, joanierav
  11. cal-bunnygirl

cal-bunnygirl New Member

aw, that's too bad they turned it off. I wonder why it upset other patients.

I think you can look it up on his site or on youtube though.
  12. joanierav

joanierav Member

thank you bunnygirl. i always forget to do that. duh? most of the patients that day were getting their chemo, and they were pretty sick. so i guess it was too graphic for them. im guessing here.

hugs, joanie
  13. cal-bunnygirl

cal-bunnygirl New Member

Oh, I sooo agree with you gb66, you are soooo right on! It has always been so strange to me this obsession that people have with control. I think that people want to feel that they can control their lives, their destinies and the idea that we are biological animals without magic powers who are susceptible to illness or random difficulties is just too much for many people.

And we have such an obsession with beating disease. Like you hear someone "beat" their cancer when in truth the patient had very little to do with the outcome of their disease at all. Mostly it is due to luck in how soon it was detected, what treatment options were available to them, if they had good insurance. Then it was really up to the doctors using the knowledge gained through many years of research.

And you are so right, people will avoid of blame someone who got sick (except children, children as seen as the only innocents with disease) while they are ill. They will avoid them at all costs. But, as soon as they get better, they are then lauded as hero and welcomed back with open arms, or somewhat open arms. I loved how Micheal J Fox talked about how he could see the fear in people's eyes when they see him, how seeing his illness just freaks most people out because they worry it could happen to them.

I think very few people are strong enough to look at life as it is, see the randomness of it all and embrace it as it is, to let it in and live it.

My mind is mush right now, I'm so not awake yet. Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place. I just loved what you had to say, gb66!