Chronic Nausea, Etc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TinaJones, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Hi everybody...I'm wondering if anyone has chronic nausea/vomiting. I have had it during my entire illness - but am getting it much more frequent these days. I can handle LOTS of things - severe pain, horrible fatigue and so forth...but I'm about to lose it with this nausea/vomiting thing. I cannot function. I constently feel "car sick", etc. I am really irritable because I feel so lousy from this.

I've been in and out of hospital with dehydration and needing fluids. I have Phenergan to use at home - but it doesn't help all that much. I've tried using ginger (candied ginger and fresh).

Anybody have any other tips? I'll try anything at this point. Like I said, this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for your help! --Tina
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Tina - I know how you are feeling and it's no fun. My nausea comes and goes for months at a time and causes me to lose weight and right now it's affecting me again.

If you are interested in a prescription med I have had great success with Zofran. It's commonly used to treat nausea in cancer patients and doesn't cause drowsiness. It is very expensive but well worth the price.

You may have tried some of these ideas but below I have found these to be helpful.

One of the best and oldest home remedies for nausea is ginger. Eating a small piece of fresh or pickled ginger usually helps the nausea to subside. Additionally, ginger tea can be made by boiling fresh ginger in water and adding honey or milk as desired.

Mint is a soothing herb which can help calm and settle the stomach. Peppermint or spearmint tea can be very effective in soothing nausea.

Peppermint oil can also be used as an aromatherapeutic cure. You can get this at your local herb store.

Another old home remedy for nausea is lemon. In some cases, merely smelling a freshly cut lemon can be helpful. Lemon juice mixed into warm water and sipped slowly works as well. Other warm liquids, such as broth, warm milk or tea, can also help to calm the stomach.

Coke Syrup has worked for me also. It's available OTC at any of the drug stores.

Saltine Crackers are effective as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have had that my whole illness too. I found when my doctor started me on Lyrica and Reglan they made a huge difference.
  4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Carolin - very good ideas, thanks. Yes, I've been on Zofran...it did work for awhile but not anymore. It IS expensive - I seem to be on EVERY high priced med :) LOL. You mentioned several things I forgot about and will try again - the peppermint oil, fresh lemon (that's a really good one)...and I'll try the ginger tea. Never thought about doing it that way. Thank you so much.

Dragon06 - Thanks for the response. I'll talk to my doc about Reglan. I know lots of people are mentioning Lyrica...I don't even know what it is. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks for the ideas - I can't tell you how much it helps hearing from people who have similar issues. --Tina