chronic neurotoxins

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Yolapa, May 16, 2003.

1. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

I have had CFS, IBS, and depression for two years now. I've also been treated for Candida, h.pylori, parasites and thyroid, but my symptoms only partially resolved. A few weeks ago, my doctor came across new research about chronic neurotoxins. These environmental toxins enter your body (via tick bite, spider bite, certain airborn molds, fresh water algae, etc.)and circulate through your system wreaking havoc on the immune system. What they have found is that some people are genetically unable to eliminate these toxins from their body, and this is turning out to be a major factor in many people with CFS, FM, IBS, depression and autoimmune diseases. The testing and treatment are an easy process, and may have a great effect on reducing or completely resolving symptoms. It is worth looking into. You can find more information on immunesupport.com (search chronic neurotoxins) or (Edited to remove URL). You can actually take preliminary tests at chronicneurotoxins.com--a visual test and symptom/exposure survey--to know if you are a candidate without even having to see a doctor.
  2. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I was positive. Not surprizing ... I've thought about stuff like this for a long time, just never figured I'd find a doc who would believe it. Further research for me! Thanks!

Let us know how your treatment progresses. Will you be taking cholestyramine? What are the details of the drug and protocol? Warm regards,
    Hayley
  3. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

After taking the VCS test and symptom survey, I took what is called an HLA-DR genotype test. They have found that certain combinations of alleles mean that a person is genetically susceptible to a specific toxin they will be unable to eliminate, and developing low MSH (implicated in CFS). For example, in post-lyme disease, certain numbers would show up on the genotype test, meaning that specific toxin would remain circulating through the body undetected by any standard medical test. Mine showed susceptibility to mycotoxins (mold) and low MSH. Further tests are often done to measure levels of MSH, leptin and a bunch of other things to determine how to best go about treatment. I began cholestyramine one week ago, and hope to see some improvement within another week, or I will have to take some more tests. I mix two teaspoons of the powder into water four times a day. It is conventionally used to lower cholesterol. What it does is bind to bile salts in the gall bladder. As the toxins circulate through the body, they are intercepted in the gall bladder and prevented from reentering the blood stream, instead being swept out with other waste. The amount of treatment time depends on the amount of toxin in your body, and if you are currently being exposed to what is making you sick. I have been studying pretty intently how all of this works, but you really don't need to know that much. This is legitimate research, new stuff to the medical field, so your general practitioner may either be skeptical or have no clue what it is at all. But it is working for tons of people.
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Then what?

Thanks for the info, Kim and Gary
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Thank you for drawing my attention to this.

Have copied from the library to read, thanks again.

Pat.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Red Tide here in SW Florida is a neurotoxin which is killing mammals and sealife. It has been hanging around all spring, which is unusual. It also causes an allergic response, including respiratory problems.

I'm living on Allegra D.

Love, Mikie
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Hi there, Yolapa...

I would, also, like to know what type physician you have that is knowlegable in this area..or is it someone that really became interested, no matter what the field?

I have read some of the website you are referring to...I wonder how we could find a doc that would be willing to work with this...do you know? Have you found the treatments really effective?

Hope you are having a good day,
    ~~Amelia~~
  8. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

The doctor I am seeing is titled under "Preventive and Wellness Medicine"--my general practitioner was not willing to give me anything beyond antidepressants. You might try searching your area for doctors under a similar title, maybe also "investigational" and/or doctors who specialize in CFS and other syndromes. I found mine through the American College of Advancement in Medicine--they provide physician searches by area. These types of doctors are usually more open to new research and investigating roots of syndromes instead of just treating symptoms. Even though they might not be familiar with this particular research, they may be willing to look into it and follow the protocol. Dr. Shoemaker also provides a list of referring physicians--one may be in your area.
    I feel really fortunate to have found this doctor, even though my insurance will not cover him. In the end, it's worth it to know I have a doctor who is truly doing everything he can to see me make progress.
    About not having a gall bladder--I have no idea! You'd have to contact Dr.Shoemaker on that one.