chronic pain and deterorating disc disease and others

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littlesquawl, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. littlesquawl

    littlesquawl New Member

    Hi there
    I'm having problems with my doctor,He want,s me to stop my pain medicine,But I have chronic and servere pain.I just went threw three days of,servere pain and fibro fog and very servere pain and depression.I'm on alot of meds put I can't seem to go on like this ,I need someones help .
    Please if you know what I'm going threw please let me know.
    I'm 52 years old and had 4 operation from my neck down to L4 and L5 and a back fustion,Now my neck is really bad,My disc;s are disapearing,and I will need a neck fustion,
    I'm getting injection in my neck ,but they don't really help that much.And my hips are starting to go .I lose balance,and my hips really hurts,Can any one help me find a good doctor in southeast pa.thank you.
    must go now my hands are starting to hurt from typying.
    I want my life back.
  2. klutzo

    klutzo New Member

    Try calling Fibromyalgia Network at 1-800-853-2929. They have a large database of doctors who were recommended by the patients themselves.
    There is also a doctor referral service here on this site, just go up to top of page and click on tab.
    Best of luck,
  3. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    Hi littlesquawl, welcome to the board. I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. That is so sad that a doctor will not help you with this pain.

    Have you considered a Pain Clinic? Many people on the board go to them.

    Klutzo gave you all the information for doc's, unless you want to put the state you are in, and maybe one of the members can make a recommendation from personal experience.

    I sure hope you get the help you need soon. And again, welcome to the board.

    Shalom, Shirl
  4. debbym

    debbym New Member

    Sorry to hear about your pain. I too have deteriating disk dease. My doctor recommended that I try to hold out on surgery and work through the pain with physical therapy. He said that surgery would help for a short time but that it would excelerate the problems in upper back. The therapy recommended was, I know this sounds painful but it helped, back bends. Arching the back through bending back. He started me out on laying flat and just lifting up my head as far as comfortable. Go slow don't over do. The next one he gave me was to hold onto a table and bend backwards. I still do these exercises as often as I can remember to. This is 5 to 6 years later. I use a cane because balance is so bad. But it did help with the pain. It is tolerable now.
    take care
  5. JP

    JP New Member

    I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I have some serious back problems that are inoperable. My quality of life would be ZERO without pain medication. I still live in 24/7 pain and I can control it somewhat with medicine and heightened body awareness. I also work with an Osteopath.

    I hope you are able to work it out with your doctor. You might ask your doctor about being referred to a Pain Management specialist. My doctor does not specialize in pain management and she has learned a great deal so that she is able to treat me. I always let her know that she should feel free to send me to a specialist and she is fine with helping me. Pain management is a subspecialty. Most general or family doctors are not well versed in managing pain and are prone to falling into the stigma trap.

    Best to you and be gentle with yourself...Jan