chronic shivering chills/electric current sensation anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cupimick, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cupimick

cupimick Member

Hi all,
    I haven't posted as I have been going thru a great deal of stress and we all know it feeds off this disease. I have constant muscle aches but I cannot seem to get my so called fibro dr to understand my other symptoms which are driving me crazy. I have constant shivering chills but it feels like an electrical current going down my legs and arms.

Does anyone on this board have any idea what I am talking about as I am trying my best to describe how it feels? Its only in my arms and legs.

I cannot get any relief and am not running a fever and its like 73 degrees out so this is not normal and if someone else could just tell me that they know what I am talking about or what it is called , cause the drs are clueless and meds are not doing anything for me. Is there like a name for what I am trying to explain cause its an awful feeling combined with the severe muscle aches. Its been months and I feel like I so helpless and sick of being sick!! I know you all feel the same. If you have any ideas I would appreciate any advice.

2. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

I have the electric current sensation also. I think it has something to do with the CNS...taking Ultram helps it alot in my case.
  3. JazzieS

JazzieS New Member

Hi, Deannie,

I do know your feeling.......I cycle thru chills and feverish frequently regardless outside/indoor temperature. For me, usually it indicates that I have an infection going on.

We are all in the same boat and similar condition, you are definately not totally alone there.

Take care, huggies,
  4. pika

pika New Member

off and on i experience something similar. it's more when i lie down at night and start relaxing. a sensation similar to what you describe goes from my feet to my head (generally, sometimes the path varies)

i have a lot of muscle spasms all over, so i surmised this was a similar, or related thing. it's a tingly feeling that moves in definite waves, but has never lasted more than a few minutes at a time.
  5. cupimick

cupimick Member

Thanks so much I would love to just send you all a warm hug because you made me at least feel like I am not alone with this awful thing.

I also am taking ultram and have been upping the dosage since, I've been in a flare. All of your smart insight I so appreciate and it makes sense that there could be a sec infection. wishing you all many thanks for caring and making me feel at least mentally a little better.

warm hugs,
  6. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I have experienced chills taht were so bad I could not stop shivering I could not get warm it would take about 30 min to stop.

I don't know what brings it on and I don't know if that is waht you are having but I know its awful like I have hypotheremea or something.

other times I feel like I am in a furnace. cooking from the inside out.

I do get the electric shock feeling somethimes too right now I am esperienceing a strang pain that goes down the back of my thigh from the butt area.

hope you feel better soon

7. Dodgechick26

Dodgechick26 New Member

Electrical sensations, god yes!! Before I started cymbalta I would have these awful electrical shocks that would start in my neck or back and travel down as far as my toes. With the shocks would come muscle spasms and stabbing pains. It was the most excrutiating pain i have ever felt.

After starting cymbalta, I can still feel the shock its just not as painful, almost like a quick muscle spasm.

When I get chills they hurt now too, kinda resemble the pins and needles thing you get when your foot falls asleep. Really weird. When i used to get the flu before FM I would feel the hurtfull chills too.
  8. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Are you on any other meds. Maybe you are having anxiety attacks. I have awful horrible shakes everytime I wake up and I am on klonopin and xanax and tramadol and a beta blocker to help. I am finally being sent to Johns' Hopkins's neurology clinic as I have had this for several years and no one would help till finally my PCP is sending me there. I can't stand it! Please don't give up trying to get help. I have begged lots of docs and they keep saying anxiety but it feels like Im dying or something. I don't have the other sx of shocks? though.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007</i>]
  9. shywolf4

shywolf4 New Member

I saw a neurologist because I was having similar pains like that in my legs and sometimes my arms. He did alot of tests, but in the end decided that it was just slightly atypical restless leg symptoms. He started me on requip and it has helped alot. I rarely get the feeling anymore unless I forget to take my requip.
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

I have bolts that shoots out of the blue in different parts of my body. It only happens at night while I am relaxing or trying to go to sleep. It makes my leg or arm ( where ever the jolt comes at ) involuntarily move for a split second. Many times it wakes me up. I have never experienced chills...only extreme sweating all day and night. I have FMS and menapause so who knows what...I just try to go with the flow.

11. momof471

momof471 New Member

I feel like a fullness and electric sensation in the head then it rolls in like a wave all the way down to my toes, it happens when I lie down. I also go numb and get really cold and nothing will warm me up. In the works of trying to see a neurologist.

God Bless
  12. cupimick

cupimick Member

I so thank all of you for the posts and each and every one of you makes me feel at least better mentally, its so hard to try to describe and know if someone else is feeling as lousy as you are.
    I can't type any more as my arms are killing me but I will take all the advice and posts and please know it meant the world that you took your time to write to me, help me and that you care.

Forever grateful ,

Deanna God Bless all of you !!
  13. AnnLeeHealth

AnnLeeHealth New Member

I have these sensations in my brain, especially in my temples, in my heart and in nerves leading from heart to stomach, as well as in my skeletal frame. When I exercise over 15 minutes, these currents turn into vibrations, as if I swallowed a cellphone set on vibrate.&lt;BR&gt;
    Just wondering if anyone ever figured out what was causing this?&lt;BR&gt;
    Has anyone considered the fact that they may have been implanted with a microchip? I know it sounds far out there, but Googling my symptoms I came upon a website where an inventor proved that was what had happened to him because a competitor wanted to steal his invention. The inventor has all of the symptoms I have described.
  14. Marjorie1

Marjorie1 New Member

yes I have had problems with the chills even in the summer time. the Doc's are clueless as you say. Fibromyalgia is like having the flu all the time. I will say I am now taking Fluoxetine, a anti-depressive. That has helped me a lot. I take 40 mg in the morning. I am very sensetive to the cold but it does seem better since I have been on this drug. now I hate to say I take this but the way I feel in the morning I need something and I guess whatever helps. I see you wrote this e-mail a few years ago. have you had relief since then??? I know what you mean of tired of feeling sick. In my case I look fine. as I can say good for being coming 77 in March!!! it is hard to explaing this illnes to anyone that does not have it. I am lucky as my Husband is very understanding.&lt;BR&gt;
    This is a chronic disease and it just affects everything in your body! I also have OsteoArithritis...hope you are feeling better by now!? love, Marjorie
  15. Marjorie1

Marjorie1 New Member

As I read some of this posts I remember I use to get those shocks and restless leg symtom. It was awful. I also take clonazepam and do not get that feeling anymore. It is really terrible when you are trying to get to sleep at night. I have a head tremor so think this may all tied together. Although I see a Neuroalgist and a Rheumatolagist. I also get Botox shots in my neck to help my tremor!!! Now don't I sound like a mess!!! but at least i have been able to get help.
  16. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

The buzzing/vibrating feeling is a very common symptom in people whose fatigue, pain, etc are really symptoms of chronic infections such as Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme), Bartonella, and Babesia.&lt;BR&gt;
    Here's some great info:&lt;BR&gt;
  17. harboreen

harboreen Member

I cycle between chills &amp; sweats.&lt;BR&gt;
    Only somethimes.&lt;BR&gt;
    It began about 7 yrs ago as a cold feeling like as if it were in my viens. This eventually went from extreme cold that it felt like a burning sensation. &lt;BR&gt;
    Now it comes on quickly, like flipping a switch. Sometimes it won't last more than half an hr yet sometimes it will last through-out the day. It's enough to drive me insane! I get soaked from sweating which brings back on the chills again. So I'm hot -but cold. during these episodes I cannot think straight at all and I'll ache something fierce..It's like my nervous system is totally out of wack. Everything sense is on super high level.&lt;BR&gt;
    I'm currently being tested so far every test is negative. &lt;BR&gt;
    I've not yet received results on hormones test. &lt;BR&gt;
    My thyroid is only very slightly off so nothing taken for this. &lt;BR&gt;
    Taking a shower can trigger this, also the freezer deptartment at the market. (But not always) I've begun taking cooler showers - doesn't help. &lt;BR&gt;
    AS for the currents- I call them zingers but I don't get these as frequent- I have fibro for 15 yrs- or so.&lt;BR&gt;
    Gabapentin/Neurontin helps to quiet these episodes.&lt;BR&gt;
    Have you been able to find anything that helps you yet?&lt;BR&gt;
    I hope you have.
  18. harboreen

harboreen Member

I have been tested and tested and re-tested&lt;BR&gt;
    then also with the Western Blot for Lyme.....&lt;BR&gt;
  19. znewby

znewby Member

Don't rule out the fact that you could be harbouring lyme. here is an excerpt from a web page:&lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;Numbness and Tingling&lt;BR&gt;
    Lyme disease may also cause recurring bouts of burning or tingling sensations, numbness, itching, electric-shock sensations or vibrations, especially in the hands and feet.&quot;&lt;BR&gt;
    Lyme also causes nightsweats.&lt;BR&gt;
    Try the immunoscience and the igenex lab tests if you want to rule it out.&lt;BR&gt;
    Also get tested for cd57 and natural killer cells. the only way cd57 could be low is either hiv or lyme. Chlamydia pneumoniae causes CD57 depression as well. That will be your clue to search for which co-infection and lyme you have. Then it is uphill from there.
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/26/2012</i>]
  20. harboreen

harboreen Member

Thank you : )&lt;BR&gt;
    I am writing all of your suggestions down and am taking to my next Dr's appt!&lt;BR&gt;